Paypal transactions not showing up or including name

Hi,

I'm using the Membership Premium plugin on a site together with the PayPal Single Payments Gateway.

Payments are being processed correctly, however, when I go to 'view transactions' I'm only seeing 3 transactions total, while we've had over 50.

Also, in the Paypal backend, the person's name is no longer being shown on the transaction. It was for previous membership transactions in January last month, but doesn't appear to be showing recently.

FYI, this website was on an old version of WP and the plugin, but I have since updated both to the most recent version. I'm not sure if that fixed the issue since there haven't been any new transactions since.

Thanks

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, ben!

If you saw the error on an old version of both Membership and WordPress, but haven't seen it since (due to no registrations) it may be worth it to either wait and see if the updates fixed it, or try to create a test subscription and see if the issue is still present, before we dig into troubleshooting too deeply.

Thanks!

• ben_jones
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi,

It looks like updating has since fixed the issue. A new transaction was registered in the WP admin backend and correctly passed all info to Paypal.

However, I noticed a new problem in going back through transactions:
    There's a transaction where the username in the WP backend does not match the name info in the Paypal transacation admin area.

The user in Wordpress is associated with a completely different name than the one that's recorded on the transaction in Paypal. Both people are registered users with us, but there is a major discrepancy on this one transaction. I double checked and confirmed that the transaction ID matches too.

What could be causing this and is there a way to determine who did indeed make the payment? Should I trust the paypal.com info and just assume the WP dashboard is wrong?

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Ben!

So sorry for the delay. As I explained in your new thread on this topic, we've got a very high volume of questions we're working through right now, we're trying to catch up as fast as we can. Please avoid opening more duplicate threads, as that can cause a lot of confusion if multiple staff are helping you at the same time in different threads.

As to this issue, it's only the one transaction that you're seeing with the wrong display name, correct? Have you made any changes to your site? New plugins? Do you use any sort of member management plugin aside from Membership, like a user role editor or manager? Do you have any security or caching plugins enabled?

Have you tested for a plugin conflict by turning off all other plugins except Membership to see if these fields display with the right username?

Most importantly, is the transaction properly recorded in Paypal itself, meaning you got the right amount of payment from the user who owed it?

Thanks for your answers to these questions, ben, hopefully we can get this sorted out soon.

• ben_jones
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Michelle,

No new changes were made to the site as far as I'm aware. However, both the membership plugin in question, as well as the Wordpress version were fairly outdated. I've since updated them both and tried a recent transaction, and it seems everything works fine now going forward.

But there is still this one legacy transaction in question where the names do not match. We did get the right payment amount in Paypal, it's just the name that doesn't match at all. Can I assume that the name recorded in Paypal is the correct one (ie from the person who actually paid) ?

This is a client site, and they just want to know who made the payment.

Thanks

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hi there @ben_jones

Sorry the response took a while longer than expected. Appreciate your patience.

Reproducing this was nearly impossible especially so because of the versions involved, Im still not sure which exact version combination of Membership + WP causes this.

This is a client site, and they just want to know who made the payment.

The member who actually paid will be the one with the email address that PayPal gave you.

To anyone else reading this, it looks like a transaction either in the users table or transactions table was not committed when the MySQL db was updated, but on a subsequent upgrade (either WP or Membership) the tables were reinitialized and fixed.

Cheers
    Jude

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.