PayPal Warning Email IPN Failing

Hello, we've been using Events+ for a few months with PayPal and haven't had any problems.

Today, my client received the below email from PayPal:

" Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications
(IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

http://www.clientwebsite.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=eab_paypal_ipn&blog_id=1&booking_id=116
http://www.clientwebsite.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=eab_paypal_ipn&blog_id=1&booking_id=117

If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for
your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue. "

I had the last version of Events+ on the site, I had not seen that there was an update.

Tonight, I installed the update to Events+ 1.7.3. I created a new Event and sent through a registration and payment via PayPal, and everything worked ok.

How can I find the events by the ids mentioned in the error above, if I go to the events I can see the Post Ids in the browser address bar, but those are much higher numbers. I couldn't find an event with the ids mentioned in the error.

Thank you for any suggestions. Tom

• Paul Kevin

Hello @Thomas,

How are you today? Sorry for the late response, lets see if I can get you sorted.

Kindly go to your PayPal account > History > IPN History . There will be a list of all IPN that were sent to the server and the status of each. The issue could be the response returned to PayPal from the IPN request. I have flagged the developer to further provide feedback on this.

Regards

Paul Kevin

• Vladislav

Hello,

Indeed, those IDs aren't the event IDs - the events themselves are post types in Events+ context. The numbers in the query URLs are actually booking IDs - each event can have any number of those, and each of them corresponds to an event RSVP. The bookings are internal, meaning they aren't exposed in an easy-to-find way in the admin interface. However, if you're at least a bit comfortable with having a look into the database (say, using phpMyAdmin or similar tool), you can match the link between them and actual events relatively easily. The bookings (ie. RSVPs) are stored in the <tbl_prefix>eab_bookings table in your database (by default, wp_eab_bookings), and each of them has an ID (which would correspond to the ID number in the request), and an "event_id" field, which is an ID of the actual event. I hope this helps.

• Thomas

Thank you for your help. I didn't even know about the IPN history page on PayPal, thanks for supporting PayPal, lol.

I don't know why we had a few payments fail originally, but I think the thing that triggered the warning email letter was that PayPal retried to submit the billing 3 days later, and my Event had been closed by then. Would that make sense as far as the Events+ plugin?

Do you happen to know if there is a way to have PayPal NOT automatically retry the billing?

• Hoang Ngo

Hi @Thomas,

I hope you are well today and I'm very sorry about the delay.

Can you please post exactly the email from paypal, send in:

- Mark to my attention - ATTN: Hoang Ngo
    - Link back to this thread
    - Paypal emails

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

That valuable information will help me in the issue tracking

Best Regards
    Hoang

• Thomas

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN).
    IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

http://www.hauntedrockford.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=eab_paypal_ipn&blog_id=1&booking_id=116
    http://www.hauntedrockford.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=eab_paypal_ipn&blog_id=1&booking_id=117

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using
    IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information.
    If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Thanks,

PayPal

• Thomas

Yes, we received several emails about each time this has happened. Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted some of the emails, but we received emails on booking ID 116 at least on April 20, April 21, and April 22. And we received the email on item April 24, 25, 26, and 26 on booking ID 85.

It appears that the problem with ID 85 may have been initiated because we gave the event purchaser a refund for the event ticket after the event was closed. Maybe when PayPal tried to inform the plug-in about the refund, and the event was closed, that is what is triggering the communication failure between PayPal and the Plug-in.

Likewise, booking IDs 116 and 117 were charges that had originally failed to complete somehow, maybe due to the event ticket purchasers error, and then it looks like PayPal tried to resend the charge after the events were closed, causing the communication failure between PayPal and the Plug-in.

Please pass this information on to the plug-in developer, in case it helps in resolving the issue.

• Hoang Ngo

Hi @Thomas,

I hope you are well today and I'm very sorry about the delay.

It appears that the problem with ID 85 may have been initiated because we gave the event purchaser a refund for the event ticket after the event was closed. Maybe when PayPal tried to inform the plug-in about the refund, and the event was closed, that is what is triggering the communication failure between PayPal and the Plug-in.

Thanks so much for this valuable information. Actually the paypal did sent the IPN when refund, but the plugin don't handler that and masked the request as invalid. So the issue happen.

Likewise, booking IDs 116 and 117 were charges that had originally failed to complete somehow, maybe due to the event ticket purchasers error, and then it looks like PayPal tried to resend the charge after the events were closed, causing the communication failure between PayPal and the Plug-in.

This is another case, hmm, i think this because when paypal return to server, for some reason, the respond back from server to paypal take longer than 30 second and this fail.

Thanks again for your very valuable information. I will work with the lead developer to trace this issue.

Best Regards
    Hoang

• urbanhaze

Hi thanks,
    I've posted in another thread, but this seems to be related.
    My client is getting the same emails from eBay about IPN problems relating to these transactions - this very wall may be related to the problem that users who've actually paid are still being notified that they haven't.

My feeling is that there is some configuration required on the PayPal side to use Events+ (perhaps a return URL or something) - but I can't find any documentation about this.

My assumption, perhaps incorrect; is that the PayPal address being added to Events+ config is the only thing that is needed to enable PayPal payments

If somebody could confirm if that's right or wrong please, it may just resolve the problem?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.