Paypal with email or with IPN

Hi, all.

In general, in Paypal, we have several ways to setup a payment gateway.
I would like to hear what would be the better way.

i.e. in membership pro, we have available setting up Paypal with email or with IPN

The case should be that recurring payments should be possible. That customers have to verify that recurring payment is actually no problem and perhaps even good, as they themselves have to give their OK for another payment before they get fined for late payments because they did not cancel early enough i.e. one month before - like it is very usual in Germany by Hosting providers etc.

Setting up IPN is always a headache and a big one when doing it with lots of sites and lots of plugins. On the other hand, the wp mu dev plugin pro sites does not provide the way to set it up using the email address. It looks as there is an inconsistency inside all those wp mu dev plugins provide PayPal gateway setups.

What are your experiences and what would you recommend, what are your solutions to handle multiple sites and multiple plugins.

Thanks in advance

Andi

• Rupok

Hi Andi,

in membership pro, we have available setting up Paypal with email or with IPN. The case should be that recurring payments should be possible

For handling recurring payments with Membership 2 Pro, you should be using the "PayPal Standard Gateway". This advanced PayPal gateway will handle all payment types, including trial periods and recurring payments. In order for Membership 2 to function correctly, you must setup an IPN listening URL with PayPal. Make sure to complete this step, otherwise, Membership 2 Pro is not notified when a member cancels their subscription. So setting up IPN is really important.

On the other hand, when you use Pro Sites the IPN URL is different. So when a plugin requires an IPN to be configured, I'm afraid you will need to do that with that plugin's required IPN URL to make that plugin functioning properly.

Different plugins use different approaches to connect to PayPal depending on the requirements of those plugins. Membership 2 Pro and Pro Sites are two completely different plugins with completely different architecture. That's why the inconsistency occurs. But once you set up PayPal for Membership 2 Pro and Pro Sites, I don't think you will need to touch that again until you are changing your PayPal account on your sites.

As different plugins use different IPN URLs for tracking different things, I don't think there is an easy way to setup one IPN URL for all plugins with all purposes and different type of payment notifications.

I believe, these will help you to understand the situation. Please let us know if you still have any confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Andi

Thanks Rupok

This is an actually a major mess on payment gateways as I would call it.
    It is all WPMUDEV
    The approach for the IPN is always the same
    only ONE IPN can be setup
    only one Paypal Account is allowed per company
    WPMUDEV provides MULTISITES which communicates i.e. also with WHMCS - which means already 2 different systems and 2 IPNs.
    now take membership2 and prosites and marketpress - as the major players for payments made by wpmudev.

It is really NOT good that they use complete different approaches.
    The tracking is actually ALWAYS the same, no matter if it is a product or a service or whatshowever. ...

In other words
    Prosites payment gateway could disable its functionality and use instead the one of Marketpress

The same membership Pro could do

Why MarketPress
    Well Coursepress and other plugins already use that option and work together with Marketpress.

If that would be the case then on ANY Multisite which is using subfolders even ONE IPN for multiple sites would be possible. A Great way to calculate i.e. commissions on sales.

--
    The current state is a real chaos as I see it as Paypal allows only to setup 8 email addresses i.e. managed by the octa script or another broadcaster script.

having
    WHMCS
    your major email for paypal
    Prosites
    Marketpress
    Membership2

The possibilities vanish away like Ice in hot sun!

So please talk to your developers and make ONE payment Gateway - perhaps even make it a separate one which includes the IPN broadcast scripts so that Marketpress, Membership2, prosites etc and all others are using this single Payment Gateway with one IPN and one Company Paypal account.

Thanks!

Andi

• Andi

Hi Rupok

6 months ago you moved that topic to the Features and Feedback section:

Thanks for your detailed reply. I'm forwarding your message to our developers right now.

Moreover, I'm moving your thread to our Features and Feedback section. More people liking this idea, more chances our developers will work on this and will include this feature in our future releases.

I am still waiting for a response from the developer as you had contacted him already.
    I would like to set that topic as resolved after I have heard his solution and can post it here.
    Thanks
    Andi

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Andi,

In very rare cases new features are implemented on request of one member - that is why we have Features and Feedback forum to see how many members will support feature, how many would be interested in having it and using it.
    There was no activity here from other members I'm afraid - and that is required if our developers review this and decided that it needs more interest from other members.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Andi

Hi Kasia

that is what I understood, but if something gets forwarded to a developer and no feedback is coming or at least a label like "not working" or something else makes things difficult to see what the progress on a certain matter is. I actually only try to clean up my requests I had in the last year and see what actually had been solved to have a much better overview on how to invest in future.

Also here I think there should be some time limit and if no one is supporting it from the side of the developers put that plugin into a git repository so that people can fork, contribute and send pull requests. This is the way of modern development as you know but that is completely missing at WPMUDEV, which actually forces people to download the plugin and provide the plugin on their own repository and let people fork and pull etc from there. Which means a development place for WPMUDEV plugins gets created outside of WPMUDEV which is for sure not what James and others wanted to have, not even those who fork, but it is simply their only chance to speed up their own development.

WPMUDEV has such a great community but holding them on handcuffs. ;-(

Kind regards
    Andi

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Andi,

We are aware that our Feature requests flow right now is not ideal at the moment - but we are hoping to see more changes here (as in WPMU DEV) soon, and this will also include changes in this particular section.

We do released some of our retired plugins to GIT, but Pro Sites, Membership 2 Pro are not retired, they are still developed by our developers. Please, don't get me wrong on this one, but request from one member for rewriting two plugin (and this is bigger change) is not enough for releasing our two major plugins like that (and again, those plugins are still developed - they are actually getting new features - some slower than other, but it is happening).

Also, even if this feature request wasn't considered at the time - it doesn't mean that it will be not re-considered in the future. Like I said - changes are coming - everything might happen (but no ETA).

kind regards,
    Kasia