PayPal X Process

Just making sure I have this set-up, trying to get my PayPal X APP accepted.

They said “We would like to see and experience your application payment flow with PayPal’s sandbox during our review”

I have the shop set up for PayPal express and using the global cart. Is that all I need to do?

This application is a tedious one that I think would be good to know for those who are really excited about the chain payments! Looking forward to getting it working though!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Eric,

Yeah, getting the process through PayPal has become even more complicated/convoluted than when we initially released this plugin 8 months ago. It’s really insane the hoops they are setting up.

I have the shop set up for PayPal express and using the global cart. Is that all I need to do?

Yep. Just fill in all your sandbox credentials – then setup the store with a few sample products. Send a sandbox buyer’s test account to them and let them try the process out for themselves. I’m not sure that they actually will – but they probably want to know that they could.

Let us know how it goes. We did have a user or two document their process (but PayPal has changed it since she posted it) the threads with the info:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/jumping-through-paypal-hoops-to-get-marketpress-chain-payments-working

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-paypal-chain-payments-application-questions

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/help-with-paypal-chained-payments-app

Hope these help a bit. Working with PayPal requires loads of patience. Trust us…

Thanks!

• Fondeli
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi,

I think you should set up the chained payments for the PayPal X process, so they can see how the payments are divided. Not the PayPal express?

@tim, mine took 6 weeks, but I did send them a message, and they were like oh yeah, we’ll sort it, and it was approved in a few days. Do you have a contact person? I had a person I could contact, and she sorted it all out for me.

• Fondeli
    • The Bug Hunter

I actually forgot to ask my question!

When you have chained payments set up, does the buyer have to have a paypal account. As I have gone though the payment, trying to pay with a credit card, and near the end there is a notice that says, you must have a paypal account to continue. Is this normal?

Thanks!

• ozbod
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Tim,

I have my approval for chained payments, took a couple of weeks, 3 max. However I was expecting an e-mail from them to let me know but never got one, so I logged into X and there it was Approved!

Eric, I did send a guide through to Phil and David about setting up the chained payments, but don’t know if they have made it available yet or where if they have, but these are busy guys

Cheers

Dave

• ozbod
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Tim,

just checked in X.com I submitted my app on 13 April 2011 and got approved on 26 April 2011, when I first applied I had it all messed up, had both express checkout and chained payments selected in mraket press which they alerted me to, got that fixed and about 3 or 4 emails later that was it, not too many questions at all, if I can help at all let me know.

Cheers

Dave

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Heya Dave (ozbod),

Many thanks again for sending that through. We were working out plans for a big public release of it, but seeing as others could use it right away, I hope you don’t mind us posting it here until that’s done.

So heya everyone, Dave (ozbod) here has done an awesome job assembling this MarketPress chained payments tutorial, neatly packaged in one uber-cool and easy to follow PDF!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Just logged in to double check.

App was submitted on the 10th March 2011

App approved 5th May 2011

Little longer than I thought.

The last mail I sent was on the 4th querying why it hadn’t been approved or denied. It was the following day that it was accepted but we didn’t get a mail either. I only just found out now when I logged in to check. lol

• Catrina
    • Flash Drive

Hi,

I used the directions listed by ozbod and got my app approved right away. Maybe they are getting faster or maybe it just helps to have all of the right answers to all of their questions filled in right away.

I have a few more tips to add for newbies:

1) Setting up your sandbox in the first place; I found that is best to keep your sandbox seperate from all of your “real” life right from the start. Most hosting companies have the ability to set up nearly as many e-mail addresses as you like. Get yourself a new e-mail address just for testing for example test@yoursite.com.

2) Don’t use any of your real e-mail addresses and especially not any that are connected to a real paypal account, not your business, personal, husbands, kids or anything that is real.

3) When making your three sandbox accounts (fake accounts) I got confused by the websites payments pro choice. This is NOT the choice that you want for you main site administrator. Both the store owner and the site administrator should have “seller” accounts. The store owner is primary and the site administrator is secondary (this is the oposite of what I would have expected).

4) Ozbod mentioned that you should write down the password that you are given for your fake accounts. This is important because once you leave that screen there is now way to get that back and you will have to start over.

5) The administrator must have a business account. Store owners can use a personal account.

6) When you are making your app application to the paypal developer site you will have to give your app a name. It can’t be named simply “marketpress” as suggested it must have a name that is unique from applications that were made before. I used “Marketpress – MY SITE”

7) After I got throught the process I got “conditional approval”. I tried to test my shopping cart “live”. You should know that when you do this you cannot use a buyer that is connected to your site in any way. My hubby couldn’t buy from me because he shares my paypal account and even though I had the store owner address set to my personal e-mail address my sister could not “buy” from the site because she was listed as a site administrator. When I had an unrelated friend try to buy the transactions went through perfectly.

I hope this helps someone else get through this confusing process.

Catrina

• nicmitchell
    • Flash Drive

This post has been extremely helpful. This may shed some light on the approval process.

When I submitted my app with PayPal on x.com, I was given the status of “Conditionally Approved”. Not knowing exactly what that means, I did some digging.

Here is what I found posted by a PayPal staff member named XAutumn:

Conditionally approved apps are basically saying you can use the system conditionally. You may be asked for more information later, but the app ID is available right away, and the feature should be activated within 2 business days or so. The email you received should have more information.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.