Per site licensing for wordpress plugins

I have been looking for plugins for my multisite and the problem I have is that most free plugins prompt users to buy their premium plugin that is licensed for single domain or they usually have a 3 site license bundle for some reason.
As far as I can see all plugins are considered derivative works as they don't run without wordpress and as such are GPL.

If I buy a plugin and add it to my multisite for all my sites to use can I get in trouble? If so what kind!

On the wordpress.org site they state clearly all themes and plugins are GPL and in the forums some people claim it has stood up in court as wordpress pushed a test case through.

Anyone have any insights on this!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mike,

Hope you're doing well today!

If I buy a plugin and add it to my multisite for all my sites to use can I get in trouble? If so what kind!

Not with any of our plugins. You're free to use ours on as many sites as you like :slight_smile:

As for others, it really depends on their terms and conditions of the company selling the plugin/theme. Everything on wp.org is GPL, so you can use any of those on as many sites as you like.

Do you have any further questions on this?

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mike,

I'm not an expert on this subject, but it's my understanding that the code itself is under GPL, but it's the service being offered that requires the license.

For example, you can install a woocommerce extension on as many sites as you like, but you will only receive updates and support for 1 of those sites. Here is their explanation:

A license entitles you to 1 year of updates and support. Each installation of the plugin will require a licence key in order for you to receive updates and support.

They will be able to see which site you registered the license with and can refuse support if you were to request it for another site.

Here, you can use our products on as many sites as you like and we'll offer support and updates on all of them - as long as your membership remains active.

Hope that clears things up. I'm thinking the company you're referring to here is likely doing the same thing, but might word it on the product page in a way that makes it sound like you need a license just to install the plugin on a site.

If you have any further questions just let us know.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.