Performance of my site with hummingbird pro

Hi Guys,
I'm trying to make my website run faster but I'm allready out of ideas. The best settings I have found are using hummingbird (without asset optimization) with autoptimise . I know the script of the website is bad but it's not my work belive me I'm only the owner of the company that tries do do his best for it :slight_smile: and I'm no websmatster to rebuild the whole site . I just learned a few things. Please tell me if you can help me?
Thank you in advance.
Best Regards,
Pawel Kempa

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Pawel,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

I've checked your site results and they are actually not that bad, there are a couple of image improvements that could be done but this doesn't affect your loading speed much.

Looks like the most of the issues are due to the redirects and server response time.
    Your server takes some time until it returns info to the visitor but I'm afraid that you can't do much about that without talking with your hosting provider directly.
    Other thing, and maybe even the most important one, is the redirect that happens when your site is visited, it first redirects from your original domain to /en/home/ and then it does another redirect to add HTTPS to your domain.

Do you by any chance know how these redirects are handled, do you use a specific plugin for that, some .htaccess rules or perhaps something on the server side?

About those images that I mentioned earlier, there are two original size images that are loaded but they are not optimized, you can optimize original images by enabling "Smush my original full-size images" option in Media > WP Smush panel.
    Next is the Satoya logo used in your "Our Brands" slider, the logo is 600x200 while the image holder is only 190x63, so it loads an image much larger than needed.
    I would suggest uploading a smaller logo to fit the holder dimensions in order to sort this out.

There are also a couple of unoptimized images loaded from your theme directly, unfortunately this is not something Smush can handle as your theme files are provided with unoptimized images.
    You can get in touch with your theme developers and ask them to use optimized images to go around this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Pawel

Hi Predrag,

I hope you are well.

Thank you very much for your reply. It helped us a lot today and the site is actually running very smooth with our even badly written script - http://www.multiwaypneus.com . We will keep to work on the script.

We will make some tests the next weekend to see how it runs with only hummingbird plugins pro. I really like your pluginns and the idea to have support.

I try to use the "snapshot" pluggin but my server host allows only "max_execution_time 60" It fails when i try to do the snapshot. No other way than taking a dedicated server if I want to use the pluggin??

Great thanks again.

Best regards,
    Pawel

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Pawel

Thank you very much for your reply. It helped us a lot today and the site is actually running very smooth

Great to hear that, I'm glad it helped!

I try to use the "snapshot" pluggin but my server host allows only "max_execution_time 60" It fails when i try to do the snapshot. No other way than taking a dedicated server if I want to use the pluggin??

That's a bit of bummer. The backup process is quite time/resource consuming and execution time of 60 seconds might be to little. The plugin will allow you to run backup but whether it will work or not, that mostly depends on how complex the site is, how much data has to be backed up and how well the server performs in general. I've seen cases where even with "max_execution_time" set to 60 that worked quite nice but apparently those sites were quite simple and servers where not much "loaded".

So, if the host doesn't allow you to increase that value, that might be a problem, I'm afraid. I'm not sure though whether you have tried "Managed Backups" (Snapshot -> Managed Backups) or "Snapshots" (Snapshot -> Snapshots).

If it was "Managed Backups" you can try adding these three lines to the "wp-config.php" file (above the "/* That's all, stop editing */" line):

define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 10);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 10);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_USE_PRECACHE', true);

After these lines are added, try running Managed Backup again and see if it breaks again. It will be significantly slower (and I mean - really much slower!) but it might help overcome that 60 seconds' "max_execution_time" limit as it will cause Managed Backups to process all the data in much smaller (thus, not that resource-consuming) chunks.

However, if you tried "Snapshot" ("Snapshot -> Snapshots") these lines will not take any effect. In this case, the only way to explore would be to try to create multiple smaller backups. Snapshots can have set whether they could backup "everything" or e.g. just media files, just plugins, just db tables (or even - just specific tables) so creating a set of really small partial snapshots instead of one complete - that might help here.

Best regards,
    Adam