performance worse than before activation

Hi!
I am not sure what is wrong but after I installed hummingbird I had a performance value of 29.
After enable all its features (everything green) a recheck said now it is 24... and using smush pro was recommended. Well smush pro is in use as well and it says also 100% of the images are optimized.

Whats wrong?

Thanks,
Norbert

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey nnpro,

Having a look at your site it looks like your footer image: 2020_negativ.png

needs to be re-sized, which WP Smush Pro can do in bulk but since you only need to re-size that one image it might be easiest to just re-size it then re-upload it. The size it should be is 180x30.

Aside from that, removing render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content is the other more critical issue. We have a blog post that explains how to remedy that using Hummingbird: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/eliminate-render-blocking-issues-hummingbird/

Can you also grant support access so we can have a closer look at the Hummingbird report on your site :slight_smile:

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Grant Support Access.

http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• nnpro
    • Flash Drive

hey Tyler,
    thanks - I did as requested, image was changed and access granted.

Btw image is only 7kb.. not even worth mention.
    Header above fold.. some plugins cant work if we do that...

We still have not more than 50/100 when checking google pagespeed.
    All images are optimized using tinypng already and your image plugin.

Goal is to get at least >80/100 with google pagespeed for desktops and >70/100 for mobiles.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Norbert

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Norbert,

Yeah it looks like images is still what is still a critical issue bringing your score down. With that said, 2 of the 3 images there aren't hosted on your site, so you would need to save them and re-upload on your own server to Smush them, if you wanted too.

With that said, your site loads very quickly for me already. So even if you weren't able to do that for some reason, I don't think it would make a big difference to your user experience(if any at all).

Then with the remove render blocking CSS/Js, if you've done as much as you can before it starts affecting plugins/theme features then not much more you can do there. While pagespeed is a good baseline, the actual experience is still more important. If you ran our site through pagespeed you would see the same issue.

Reduce server response time seems to come and go as a "should fix" issue for you in Pagespeed. I tested your site about 5 times and 2 out of 5 it was "should fix" and 3 out of the 5 it was "consider fix". So that would be one to talk to your host about and could give your score a nice bump. Again though, while actually loading your site I didn't notice an issue there, your caching must be working well :slight_smile:

If you have further questions on any of that just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.