Permalink structure incorrect and base URL /questions/ask missing

I installed Q&A pro givne the default instructions. I have two issues:
-I have a pre-installed blog with a different permalink structure? How can I change this?
-I do not get the /questions/ask url to resolve from the server. Is this due to the permalink problem?

I am running IIS 7.5 on Windows 2008R2.

Thanks,
-Scott

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello sprugh,

Greetings and welcome to the forums.

I have a pre-installed blog with a different permalink structure? How can I change this?

You may want to refresh the permalink settings once

Go to settings >> Permalink >> Change to something else >> Save >> change it back to what it was >> save again and try it.

Please advise
    Cheers
    PC

• sprugh
    • New Recruit

I am currently using the default permalink structure which is not allowed by Q&A. When I try to change this it breaks the site. So, I am not sure how to make the permalink change and preserve existing content. Is that possible?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

One Question : Are you running wordpress multisite ?

I am currently using the default permalink structure which is not allowed by Q&A

That is right as Q&A uses pretty URLs so rewrites and pretty permalinks must be enabled.

You may want to give a try to Custom Permalinks widget

Or

Permalink Migration Plugin

But make sure that you take a backup before you try anything like that so as if anything goes wrong, you may revert it to the previous state.

We have a state of art plugin here and its really backup-n-restore-tastic!

Please see if that helps.

Cheers
    PC

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sprugh,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

PC's advice above is solid and the fact that you change permalinks and it breaks the rest of the site is not good.

Though I am not sure this seems that this is possibly because of trying to run from a Windows box to include an old version of the software, but as I mentioned I am not sure.

In any event we will do our best to get this to work for you.

Please advise where we are currently at with your issues and if you are still unable to change your permalinks.

This will be tragic if we cannot change them because most plugins will not run on default permalinks.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• sprugh
    • New Recruit

Ok. So the plugin shows up but I cannot submit a question. I type in the title and description and I get:

Server Error
    500 - Internal server error.
    There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

So. I'm guessing the permalink structure doesn't work.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sprugh,

I would have to say that with the information supplied and your server configuration that there is certainly a permalink problem and for some reason the server is not dealing with it correctly.

So my next stop was WordPress itself and there are a slew of people running Windows Servers with permalinks problems and only one that I found seemed to offer a cure to a possible fix:
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/permalink-and-category-links-broken-in-26?replies=11

Please advise if the "fix" by Otto perhaps helps.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sprugh,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.