Permalinks keep changing and Super Admin privileges issue

I keep running every other day into an issue that returns 404's across my site, it's always an easy fix with me just going to Permalinks and setting it back to custom but there can be hours of visitors seeing those 404s before I find out about this. So somewhere in my set up I must have effed up is what am guessing. I am thinking it might be due to me setting it initially to /%postname%/ which is basically an old habit that is probably outdated since there is a "post name" option now... Any idea what I can do here to get rid of this 404 issue?

Also I have a very similar issue with my super admin Privileges to this post: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/super-admins-insufficient-priviledges maybe it's related? I basically can't edit people or approve pending ones or even resend activation mails, it's telling me I don't have the proper privileges.

Thanks
Toni :slight_smile:

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Toni,

Hope you're doing well today!

I am thinking it might be due to me setting it initially to /%postname%/ which is basically an old habit that is probably outdated since there is a "post name" option now... Any idea what I can do here to get rid of this 404 issue?

Placing it in manually or selecting the pre-set option should both give you the same result so I don't think that would be the issue here; however, a good way to check is by opening up your .htaccess and seeing if there is any code in there that shouldn't be in there :slight_smile:

Sometimes plugins can add code. Default for a multisite install is this: http://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration#.htaccess_and_Mod_Rewrite

Depending whether it's a subdomain or subdirectory install and notice the different version numbers there, yours will likely be the 3.5+ version.

So open up the .htaccess and see if there is any code other than the block required for your multisite.

I basically can't edit people or approve pending ones or even resend activation mails, it's telling me I don't have the proper privileges.

Doesn't sound like this would be related to the above issue. Can you do a plugin conflict check by deactivating all your plugins temporarily and checking if you are still getting the error or not? Usually permission issues are due to plugin conflicts.

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Toni
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks Tyler :slight_smile:, there is indeed more in that htaccess (mostly from WP Super Cache and IFModule) and I also deactivated all plugins and nothing fixed that, I still get the permission errors.

Toni

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Thanks for checking that :slight_smile:

Could you send your FTP and WP login in so we could take a closer look? You can use our private contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Toni

Me again lol,

ever since I disabled all plugins I am getting some random errors on the site that I can't pin down, for example I can't turn back on Smush-It Pro and my Cache Plugin anymore, when I try to activate them I get forwarded to my MU sample blog I created and it turns on all the plugins there and creating pages for listings and classifieds. As well some pages are bleeding content into the sidebars and my activity stream is all of a sudden messed up and next moment it's fine. Can you please have a look into this as well when you look at the site Tyler? I feel this is all connected somehow...

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Toni,

Apologies for my delay here!

I logged in and was able to activate WP Smush.it without any trouble and also added a user without any issue. The user's username is "tyepo". Are you still experiencing issues on your end?

Also, it looks like the FTP information you sent in doesn't include the FTP password. If you could reply back to the email I just sent with that then I can log in and take a look if the issues are still there :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back Toni!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Toni

Yeah it seems to stay switched on now (smushy) but it is not working for me and switching that one on turned on the plugins on my "test-blog" as well again (all of the plugins and created pages etc again). Anyways sending you that PW in a second :slight_smile: Thanks man!!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Toni,

Thanks for your reply. My apologies, I never noticed that it took me to the sub-domain. I've been testing it on my install and I see the same thing. If you activate it on your main site it seems to jump you to one of your subsite and activates it there too. Very weird behaviour.

Network activating it seems to be fine though, so in the meantime you can do that :slight_smile: I'm flagging the developer here so we can get this all fixed up for you.

Thanks for all your patience here and let us know if you have any further questions in the meantime!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Toni

Thanks Tyler :slight_smile: I just checked again and when I go on "manage sign ups" and select any user I get this message again: "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

Cheers
    Toni

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Toni,

Apologies for the delay here!

I just checked again and when I go on "manage sign ups" and select any user I get this message again: "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

This doesn't sound like it's related to the smush issue from earlier. Would you mind creating a new thread on this one? Should make it easier to follow :slight_smile:

Make sure you do a plugin conflict check first too, that is the most common reason for that error.

I work weekends so good chance I will get your ticket if you do create it.

Enjoy your weekend!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Toni

I kinda forgot about this one here - sorry for the late reply, but I keep having the occasional random perma link issues which is an easy fix (when I notice it) and the permissions are still the same problem as well, I am unable to access some parts of the super admin, and I have already done all the plug in checks etc.

Do you still want me to send you another support ticket and create a new thread for each problem?

Toni

• Toni

Have to bump this again.

Still don't know what is causing all this and I just noticed the very same 404 permalink behaviour on another buddypress site (which is BP only, no MU like the other one).

I am always able to fix it very easy by saving the permalinks again but I can't be checking this every on every site and also I doubt Google likes it too much to find 404s...

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

• Toni

Thanks Anang but the problem here is that my site randomly choses to turn all live inner pages into 404s (haven't found a pattern yet, when this happens it seems very random). It just happens every now and then (like once a week or so)... First thing I do in the AM is check if all my inner pages are still there lol and if no I simply update the permalinks again and they are back...

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Toni,

Sorry for my delay here, I was away for the last couple weeks.

I've re-read the thread for a bit of a refresher on the issue, and it's tough to troubleshoot this since it appears to be so random. Often when it's random like this it's more of a server related issue. Usually in that case it would be going completely offline temporarily though not just a 404, could still be worth asking your host just in-case they can see anything in the logs that may cause this issue.

So even if you keep WP Super Cache deactivated for awhile and remove the .htaccess it adds, the issue still happens? it's the only plugin you have that I know makes changes to the .htaccess, so leaving that deactivated for awhile could let us know whether it's causing the issue or not.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Toni

Thank you Tyler :slight_smile:

I was not able to get any logs from my host, it's been about 2 weeks now that the permalinks haven't changed, I will keep watching this and might disable WP Cache as you suggested next time it happens (or at least look at some fresh logs).

But do you have any idea what could cause the admin privileges issue? I am still not allowed to manage my users as much as I would like to... Still getting this message: "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

Toni

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Toni, thanks for the update!

But do you have any idea what could cause the admin privileges issue? I am still not allowed to manage my users as much as I would like to... Still getting this message: "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

I know you mentioned you already did all the plugin checks; however, did check for any mu-plugin or functions.php code conflicts? If you have added any mu-plugins or edited the functions.php that is.

Also, I just logged into your site with the credentials you sent before and tried editing a user without any issues. I edited the users first name then edited it again to change it back to what it was originally.

When are you seeing that permissions error? Then I can replicate it on your install and have a closer look :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

• Toni

Thanks Tyler :slight_smile:,

You should be able to see this message if you go to Super Admin - Users - Manage Sign-Ups (click on any) as well in Main Site Admin Panel when you click on Users - All Users - Pending.

Toni

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Toni,

I see what you mean now, thanks for the explanation :slight_smile: this actually has to do with how multisite works. All users are managed at a network level; however, when you activate BuddyPress only for the main site instead of network wide then it doesn't have the ability to fully manage users. If you network activate BuddyPress then you should find that everything works as expected and you're not limited at all.

It's worth noting that when BuddyPress is network activated it will still only show on your mainsite by default; however, registered users usernames will sometimes link back to their profile. For example, if a user comments on any post in your network then their username will link back to their profile on the main site.

I don't believe this is a bug with BuddyPress as it's just how Multisite was designed to work with plugins, but there definitely is some room for improvement there.

Hope that clears things up, if you still have further questions just let us know :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Toni

Thank you Tyler, that makes sense now :slight_smile:

Is there any risk changing this from single to MU install? Will I have to note down all my changes I made in Buddypress and set them up again manually? Or will it be just a single click: "Activate Networkwide"?

Toni

• Toni

Thanks Tyler :slight_smile:

This seems to have worked!

Should I make all BP plugins Network Activated too like BP Edit? Seems to work fine for now...

Thanks again! I will keep watching that Permalink Behaviour!

Toni

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Toni,

Glad thats working!

Should I make all BP plugins Network Activated too like BP Edit? Seems to work fine for now...

You can, I think for most it would make much of a difference although some you may need too otherwise you will run into same permission issues again.

Let us know if either issue comes back again :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

• Toni

Thanks Tyler :slight_smile:,

guess what, the Permalinks changed again after I turned the plugins on Network-wide so this is likely what has been happening all along, so I called up my host and basically they say there are no logs and that Plugins sometimes overwrite my Permalink structure which is normal and there isn't anything I can do about it... Is that right? I guess it only happens when I modify a Plugin (or turn it on or off)... I enabled those 4 Plugins when that Permalink change happened: BuddyPress Activity Plus, BuddyPress Cover Photo, BuddyPress Edit Activity, rtMedia

Toni

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Toni,

That is right, some plugins can overwrite the permalink structure depending what your original structure is, not many do - but it can happen. So sounds like that probably is the problem, now I wish I thought of that :smiley:

You can try deactivating and then re-activating them individually to try and narrow down the one causing it. That way you will always know when to re-save permalinks.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.