Permalinks multisite different languages

So I have different sites based on languages and for each a separate domain. I started out using translatepress. So for example using Swedish, English, Spanish and perhaps English as default. I translate and clone each to another domain/language. Then using translatepress I can choose which of the languages to show visitors and hide the others.

The problem is I cannot change permalinks to a new language. Tags from "motiv" to "Tema" or "product/" to "producto/". And so on. Not sure when this started because I am sure it was working in the beginning but not sure.

I've tried to see if I can change permalinks name in mysql but cannot find anything to work on.

I've read about different solutions, clean up, reset, check plugins, warning when moving site et cetera. But cannot find anything helping for multisites.

So I want to change permalinks in showercurtains.wpmudev.host/cortinadebano but I'm stuck.

Solution? Or worst case if I can use same permalinks for all sites. For SEO of course I'd want it in correct language.

• Marcus
    • Flash Drive

I see that my other site with the same setup, from which I cloned...is working better.
    https://showercurtainsemporium.com/es/producto/handmade-white-and-silver-thread-shower-curtain/

es/producto/
    en/product/

But what I then did on the other site showercurtains...host/cortinadebano/ was that I started translating tags, page names and so on.

The basic problem is there though, that the permalink for theme (in english) is motiv (swedish) and I cannot change that on the settings/permalink page.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Marcus,

It's odd that, if the permalinks work in one subsite and same doesn't in another. Could you please go to Settings > Permalinks page for both working, and non-working subsites, and compare whether the permalink settings are correct?

Such anomalies might happen if the permalinks aren't correct. If they are correct, please do re-save the existing Permalinks settings which should refresh the permalinks to clear any cache related to permalinks too.

If you still have issues regarding this then do grant support staff access so that we could give a closer look.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please let us know once you enable access so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Marcus
    • Flash Drive

I can change permalinks in showercurtainsemporium.com, from where I cloned the .host/cortinadebano. Where I cannot change it. I changed the cortinadebano to its own domain, thinking that might help...cortinadebano.com but it didn't change anything.

When I cloned shouldn't it be an exact clone? If I was replacing an old site, that should all have been deleted no? And replaced by the new content from the clone material.

So I am thinking what if I try the clone again, OR even better if we copy the content in another way. I do think something changes with the database or something when you do the cloning. OR do I first have to delete all tables of the database I want to replace?

Support access available on the multisite where both cortinadebano and showercurtainsemporium are. https://showercurtains.wpmudev.host

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for enabling access, it seems like you have even mapped the cortinadebano subsite too. I wasn't able to access the subsite dashboard due to that, as I was getting a login screen while accessing the dashboard.

I could notice in es version products are giving a 404 error, unlike en. On further checking regarding this, could you please try the following workaround, and see whether it makes any difference:
    https://translatepress.com/docs/addons/language-get-parameter/

The workaround in the above article is to create a plugin, you could implement the same via mu-plugins, which should be ideal since it's a multisite. Could you please create a mu-plugins, and add the following to see whether it helps:

<?php
    add_filter( 'trp_gp_lang_parameter', 'trp_gp_change_parameter_name' );
    function trp_gp_change_parameter_name( $name ){
          return 'language';
    }

Please check this article on how to create mu-plugins:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/using-mu-plugins/

When I cloned shouldn't it be an exact clone? If I was replacing an old site, that should all have been deleted no? And replaced by the new content from the clone material.

Yes, it should be an exact clone and should have deleted, and replaced any old data during a clone in general. 404 errors are quite common to occur if the permalink cache isn't cleared after clone, or even after migrations. Refreshing the permalinks as stated in the previous reply should have fixed since you still notice the same it's tough to say what else could be causing without checking the subsite dashboard.

If you could save the WP login credentials in the quick message section, under WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access, it would be helpful for us to check the dashboard next time we log in.

So I am thinking what if I try the clone again, OR even better if we copy the content in another way. I do think something changes with the database or something when you do the cloning. OR do I first have to delete all tables of the database I want to replace?

You can clone to a new site, instead of replacing an existing site to see how it goes. If you still notice the same, then please do check how the subsite behaves when all the subsite specific plugins except Translatepress is disabled, which should give a better idea too.

Please do let us know how that goes so that we could give a closer look if needed.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Marcus
    • Flash Drive

I removed the domain and flushed the cache and it worked again. The permalinks. So I believe the thing about domain mapping messes with the permalinks. So I changed it to what I wanted and then switched back to the domain mapping.

Cheers!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.