Permalinks need to be resaved each time a change is made to site

Hey there guys~

I am at the point of desperation here. Here is the latest, and hope you can help me from drowning:

Immediately needing to be fixed: each time a change is made on my site, permalinks need to be resaved because the "Our Blog" tab in the menu breaks and returns the following error (see image). Why is this happening? How can I fix it?

Also after 6 months of continued problems getting things rolling, I decided to scale waaaay back and eliminate Marketpress and Supporter….just too many problems.

I thought I would simplify everything, even change my beloved network child theme, as I found that google crawlers hated most everything about it.

So, I am going with studio child (much more SE friendly)….although all of the setting options are very confusing and so far, it's been difficult to set-up. Currently, the widgets will not work at all in the "blog sidebar". How can this be fixed?

I am also giving Membership and Classifieds a try. In memberships quick start guide, for 2. (create your categories): is this for creating regular categories or categories named "free" "premium", etc

For 3. (create some shortcodes) I just don't understand this. I get what a shortcode is, but I just don't understand these instructions. I have determined my membership levels, I have determined the pages and posts I want restricted.

For 10. (setup payment gateways). Can there be more than 1? For example, my membership levels will be Free, Premium, and Elite…so would I select both free and paypal here?

thanks,

kel

(tutuology dot com)

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya Kel!

Hi I am at the point of desperation here. Here is the latest, and hope you can help me from drowning:

Immediately needing to be fixed: each time a change is made on my site, permalinks need to be resaved because the “Our Blog” tab in the menu breaks and returns the following error (see image). Why is this happening? How can I fix it?

I think that may have to do with the BuddyPress slug adjustment. Not sure. What types of changes are you referring to? Does permalinks need resetting even when you simply create a new post?

Also after 6 months of continued problems getting things rolling, I decided to scale waaaay back and eliminate Marketpress and Supporter….just too many problems.

I thought I would simplify everything, even change my beloved network child theme, as I found that google crawlers hated most everything about it.

So, I am going with studio child (much more SE friendly)….although all of the setting options are very confusing and so far, it’s been difficult to set-up. Currently, the widgets will not work at all in the “blog sidebar”. How can this be fixed?

I believe it would be that you’re using the Sidebar Blog widget area, which is for the blog index as a whole. The widget area you’ll want to use for single blog posts is Sidebar Single.

I haven’t noticed an SEO issues with Network myself, but then I haven’t really done extensive testing there. In any case, we’ll be happy to assist with you queries!

I am also giving Membership and Classifieds a try. In memberships quick start guide, for 2. (create your categories): is this for creating regular categories or categories named “free” “premium”, etc

It’s for categories in general, “free” and “premium” happen to be the categories used in the example, that’s all.

For 3. (create some shortcodes) I just don’t understand this. I get what a shortcode is, but I just don’t understand these instructions. I have determined my membership levels, I have determined the pages and posts I want restricted.

This feature would only be needed if you’re planning on restricting portions of content to members. For instance, if there’s a video you’d like for members only to see, in your post editor, you can wrap the video code with the Membership shortcode.

Did you have content where you’d like to do that?

For 10. (setup payment gateways). Can there be more than 1? For example, my membership levels will be Free, Premium, and Elite…so would I select both free and paypal here?

Yes, you can use multiple gateways. And it sounds like you’d only need the Free and PayPal Subscription gateway.

Cheers,

David

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Well hello mister! I am so glad you’ve come to my rescue :wink:

I think that may have to do with the BuddyPress slug adjustment. Not sure. What types of changes are you referring to? Does permalinks need resetting even when you simply create a new post?

They need resetting ever single time I change anything……activating a plugin, deactivating a plugin, adding a post, changing menu, working on settings in membership…you name it. The only part of the site that breaks though is the “our blog” section. The rest of the items on the menu and site work properly.

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Ideas? Have a few but hard to say what is the cause…

This is a weird situation…

Q:What does it default back too?

Q:And what permalink structure are you trying to achieve?

But as a guess I would think the culprit is this…

$wp_rewrite->flush_rules() function.

This function does the following –

Deletes the ‘rewrite_rules’ option. This is where all the permalink rules for your blog are stored. When someone clicks on one of your blog pages, the parse_request function retrieves these rewrite rules and translates them into a query request.

Now, a lot of plugins flush the rules – But Sometimes a plugin author flushes the rewrite rules in the wrong way, and this in itself causes issues.

So, you have to find which plugin / theme is doing it.

But if we can figure out what it is defaulting too then that might give us an idea – check questions above.

Also, have you done any edits to your .htaccess file?

Jonathan

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey there fellas~

I’ve been away for the past week :slight_frown:. Coming back, I have a new surprise – my website won’t even connect. For this matter, I will post a new thread, however, I am sure the problems still exist that we’ve been discussing. Once I get my website back up, I’ll come back to this.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

OK, I have my site back (15 hours later – lol)! David, while in my wp-config.php file today, I noticed that the slug is still set to ‘shops’….is this good or bad? Jonathan, you’ve given me something to ponder, but while troubleshooting last week, I disabled all plugins and switched to twentyten….still breaks unless I resave permalinks. I have loads of posts to write…would love to get this working properly.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey David-

For #3 – Yes, I def. want to restrict content. I have no clue how to make a shortcode. Do you mind giving a hard example? Let’s say I have multiple pages that I want visible only to members, such as tutorials, University of Tutuology, and Merchandising. What would the shortcode look like? TIA for all your help :slight_smile:

Kel

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

OK, so I thought maybe the problem was as Jonathon suggested (flushed rewrite rules)….so I went to my themes function.php file to find the culprit. I didn’t have a function.php file in my child theme :slight_frown:….so, I added it and now everything works perfectly…..does this make sense?

• Jonathan

@tutuology,

Sorry I missed your updates – actually been sick (flu) which is weird because I am never sick. Anyways, my wife and I are taking off next week – think we need some R&R.

So lets see if we can get this sorted before then?

Okay just read through your posts – and I’m Scratching my head. I’m going to have to do some digging around – this is something that I haven’t seen before (well I have but those suggestions should have sorted it out) – Don’t worry, it is probably something stupid easy :wink: We just haven’t figured it out…

Edit: We posted over each other :wink:

And the problem will just come back – unless we figure the real cause… the article you linked too is basically flushing the rewrite rules. Which doesn’t explain why they (permalink) go wonky just about immediately afterwards.

Edit: Okay I posted two possible ways below that this issue is being caused. The last one I believe is the culprit. Sorry for breaking them up, but it looks something horrible with one long post :wink:

• Jonathan

Scratching Head Down Path One: (1 of 2)

Okay, you said you deactived all plugins – I am assuming you forgot about the mu-plugins

Here are the plugins you currently have activated permanently:

list of network activated plugins wp-content/mu-plugins/

disable_http_calls.php
    domain-mapping.php
    global-site-search/
    languages/
    signup-language/
    tips.php
    widget-avatar.php
    widget-blogs.php
    widget-recent-global-comments.php
    widget-supporter.php
    wp-latex.php
    wp.mu.php
    wpmusitedown.php

The above plugins won’t show in your normal plugin area. So if you deactivated all plugins and used twenty ten theme – chances are pretty good the issue lies in these. If you removed these plugins and (the only way to deactivate) and deactivated the rest then the problem lies somewhere else.

As always back up the mu-plugins in case you have to upload those files again.

Widget-supporter.php (if you aren’t using supporter any more? you don’t need this activated) delete

domain-mapping (are you using domain mapping?)

and the rest I don’t personally use so can’t say for sure – but I am hoping that the problem lies in here somewhere.

So, check to see if plugins are compatible with your version wordpress.

Those that aren’t are going onto our suspect list, and so we narrow it down….

• Jonathan

Scratching Head Down Path Two: (2 of 2)

You are using membership plugin, and this is a long shot, but do you still have 404’s if you are logged in as admin? What about as a member / user / stranger etc

I’m thinking that you have created a rule to protect those menu links? Pages? Categories? etc and that we simply don’t have permission to view it? Which by default gives us a 404…

Okay, I’m pulling at strings, but this is very unusual?

But I think this is where the issue lies – (incorrect rules associated to subscriptions / levels) – it makes the most sense.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Unbelievable! I am so grateful for all of your hard work and thoughtfulness poured in to helping me figure this out! It’s amazing. I have this thread going on also, https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/using-studio-child-membership-buddypress-classifieds-losing-formatting-and-membership-registration-not-properly-displayed, maybe if you take a look, something will come together – who knows? The 404’s occur when membership is activated. Also, membership alters my menu; and as you can see, the new beta download really jacks up my site

• Jonathan

You are welcome – lets hope we can solve it :wink:

Ouch! is that the membership beta (okay something definitely wrong with your setup and membership plugin) will continue this topic on the link you provided to keep everything in one place and I see masonjames is handling the issue there (he is a great guy) :wink:

• Jonathan

@tutuology,

I’m not very good with htaccess, but I did have a look and nothing seems to jump out at me. So I think the htaccess is okay. I see you got DavidM and MasonJames having a look at the rule set up. This I believe is the quickest way to get to the root of the issue. Will wait for them to report back on what they found. And if they haven’t been able to fix the issue, we can take it from there and brainstorm other scenarios :wink:

But I’m sure we will get to the bottom of this. We need to as there are a lot of us using/wanting to use the same setup as you. To get you sorted, is to get us all sorted. :wink:

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey David- The problem is back again, but I noticed at the very bottom of my home page, there is a "register now" button. I have attached it for your reference. In Firebug, I see that this button links to Register Now! . You just resolved this for me and it has to do with Buddypress reserving the "register" slug.

I could fix this on my own, but I can't for the life of me find what file it is that I need to modify. It isn't a css mod is it? It's just a wording fix (but again, I don't know the file to modify). I can just replace the word "register" with "signup". Thanks for your help on this.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

I haven’t made any changes in the past few hours so they will appear for ya just fine. It’s when any changes are made (whatsoever) that it is necessary to refresh permalinks. If I forget to refresh permalinks, certain pages and posts will return 404’s whether those are the pages I worked on or not. For example, if I am modifying content in a page called “Features”, just that simple change will throw random pages in to a 404 – UNLESS, I remember to resave permalink settings.

I should be able to make changes whenever w/o having to reset the permalinks. This has been going on for weeks, but I have been managing by resaving this every single time…..it’s just daunting and unstable, and on occasion, I forget to resave which could be costing me business and my reputation :slight_frown:

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

honestly hun… i would have already saved all your content/html pages etc and restarted with a fresh wordpress install. it would be quicker… i mean you’ve had this issue and others for weeks with no resolve.

let me know if you need help with that.

gina

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

@gina- I know you’re probably absolutely right. I just didn’t want to bother you with it. You’ve been so wonderful and I feel like I haven’t been able to do anything in return. I have never been good at “receiving” to be honest……I would much rather be giving :slight_smile:

If it is no bother, I’d like to move forward on a fresh install. I’ve had an entire week to devote to this site, but today begins work in the design studio (my basement, lol!). I will be working ’round the clock every day this week in preparation for an arts & crafts show this weekend.

I was determined to have my site working properly before having to walk away from it for a week :slight_frown:

During summer, it’s crazy like this….lots of craft shows. In 2 weeks, I’ll be done with shows for the season (it will give me a few weeks off anyway to focus on tutuology).

Tonight, I can work on it with ya, if that works for you?

• jasonbu
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Sorry, just picking up on the thread. I too am suffering from this issue. Constantly having to go in and refresh the permalinks to get it to work.

BuddyPress 1.2.9

WP 3.2.1

I’ve done several installs from scratch, several themes.

-Jason

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

@jason – i helped kel/tutu above start with a fresh install and it has resolved the issues she was having with the permalinks.

you may want to start a new thread for your issues just to make sure it gets attention from the support staff as well :slight_smile:

gina

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya tutuology,

Guessing that’s all sorted at this point with Gina’s awesome assistance! Thanks Gina, more rep points on the way, though I realize you’ve got quite an abundance already! :slight_smile:

@jason, as Gina mentioned, we’ll be happy to see what we can find in your specific case through a separate thread. That way we can focus on the specifics surrounding on your setup.

Thanks,

David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.