Permissions problem on new cloud server (WPMU)

Hello,

I have built my WordPress network on shared hosting and now as it's going to grow fast, I have exported it to CloudServer (1GB RAM, 50GB Storage, etc.).

First question

1) How does WordPress handles with server-urls? For example, I am using /manager url to enter panel and what will happen if I create post in my WordPress panel called /manager? You know what I mean I think.

2) There are some permissions problem - users can't upload pictures, backups, mp3, anything..

I think this was my mistake - I have started to working with my ISPmanager using username "root" (super admin) and not that username, associated with my site.

So, now, when I open "/var/www/eblogo/data/www/eblog.ge" (directory where WordPress is located) via "root" username, I see that everything is owned by "eblogo" username and that's the way it should be. Only files owned by root are - "pi.php" and "testme".

As to database - There is only one database (for this WP Network) and it's owned by eblogo and I see no problem about that but have question here - can I rename and change password of my database without damaging anything?

I also would like to rename my user "eblogo", if it doesn't cause any damage too.

And the last question

I think it's related to permissions problem too.

1) Contact Form 7 doesn't send mails, it says that it is unable to.
2) Activation mails aren't sent to users. (Maybe these two are caused by same problem, as both of them are same - server can't send mails from site to emails).

Thanks,

Kote

• Philip John

Hiya!

what will happen if I create post in my WordPress panel called /manager?

I imagine your server will automatically show cpanel instead of passing the request to WordPress but that depends on your server setup.

2) There are some permissions problem - users can't upload pictures, backups, mp3, anything..

You said you've changed the owner of the files now, so is this sorted?

can I rename and change password of my database without damaging anything?

Yep! So long as you update wp-config.php with the new password....

I also would like to rename my user "eblogo", if it doesn't cause any damage too.

You'd need to create a new user and assign it privileges to the database in order to do that.

1) Contact Form 7 doesn't send mails, it says that it is unable to.

As normal WP e-mails aren't sent you need to check that sendmail is installed.

Cheers,
    Phil

• kshengelia

Hi Phil,

You said you've changed the owner of the files now, so is this sorted?

Unfortunately not, I have just tried uploading a picture and it showed this error:

/var/www/eblogo/data/www/eblog.ge/wp-content/blogs.dir/44/files/2011/09 - Server is unable to create folder as it's parent directory doesn't allow this. (I have translated this, not exact text but that's what it says).

My hosting tech advised me to change /blogs.dir directory permissions to 777 but I think it's not the best way to choose as it's some security related task, isn't it?

As normal WP e-mails aren't sent you need to check that sendmail is installed.

Ok, I have forwarded it to my tech group.

Rest is clear.

Thank you,

Kote

• Philip John

My hosting tech advised me to change /blogs.dir directory permissions to 777 but I think it's not the best way to choose as it's some security related task, isn't it?

No, and that has no bearing on the owner/group. Does your server use Nginx or suPHP? It sounds like something related to those or in the server config. I've seen it before but was never able to find the solution.

Basically, new files/folders created by PHP (therefore WP) do not have the correct owner/group so WP isn't able to manipulate or add to them after creation.... you'll have to ask your host to sort that out I'm afraid.

Cheers,
    Phil

• kshengelia

Have you asked them where they checked this?

Not really, I will ask.

It's more likely that Google thinks you're spamming because the From e-mail address doesn't "belong" to that server. I.e. the domain name in the from e-mail address isn't hosted on that server....

I have sent test mail via contact form just now and it was received in Spam folder. Here is mail details if you need it to find out something.

from test test@testmail.ge via eblog.ge
    to (my mail here)
    date Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    subject [eBlog] testing mail
    mailed-by eblog.ge

• Jonathan

Your IP doesn't seem to be blacklisted - check for yourself.
    http://www.blacklistalert.org/
    response your domains IP is only listed at l2.apews.org

---
    http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx
    Response: Checking 178.159.251.39 against 106 known blacklists...
    Listed 0 times with 2 timeouts.

So basically all clear...

EDIT: Contact form 7 sends from a dummy from address noreply@yourdomain.com (so it technically sends from your domain but doesn't)
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/message-automatically-went-into-spam#post-131629

• Jonathan

@kshengelia,

It sounds like what phil said "it has to do with the owner/group".
    meaning you've got to ensure that the permissions match the running user - something like...
    user site site;
    Then for directory permissions something like this:
    chown -R site:site /var/www/site.com

I actually use this to increase security. Had a guy create some My Aliases ( .bashrc )
    and write up a wpsafe and wpupgrade which toggles the file user/group permissions. Basically locks the site down. And unlocks it for upgrades etc.

• Jonathan

@kshengelia,

Sorry to get back to you so late - it's weekend and lots and lots of rugby to watch :wink:

I can't see anything wrong about owner/groups yet

Then it probably isn't that - probably something else entirely.

I would be very pleased if you can take a look on it yourself for a moment (I will share screen via Skype or Teamviewer or something).

I'm pretty comfortable playing around with anything that I set up (I own or take responsibility for). But I am not a pro, and wouldn't be comfortable messing around with your setup. This is definitely an issue for your hosts, or for the person that set it up.

Sidenote: You should never let a stranger look in on your setup. (sensitive info and all that). Best people are Host, paid support, paid tech, paid employee of some kind etc. But even that can land you in a heap of trouble - lol.

But like I said, best person is the person that set it up. What to ask them...
    Tell them that "There are some permissions problem - users can't upload pictures, backups, mp3, anything." and that they should find / fix this issue. And the solution isn't making the directory permissions to 777 - that is a lazy answer, and if the owner/groups isn't the issue then 777 the directory wouldn't do much as the problem would lie somewhere else.

If it isn't the owner / group permissions then I have never had this issue personally, (Phil said above that he has seen it before, but could never solve it) - my simple mind tells me that a correctly setup box runs perfectly or near perfect. So your box must not have been set up correctly - shrugs.

• kshengelia

@ Johnathan,

Sorry to get back to you so late - it's weekend and lots and lots of rugby to watch :wink:

I definitely had now doubt that you loved rugby. We have no success today :slight_frown: (Georgia England). To say truth, I wasn't expecting to have, but our team was very tired (4 days ago - Georgia Scotland).

I'm pretty comfortable playing around with anything that I set up. But I am not a pro, and wouldn't be comfortable messing around with your setup. This is definitely an issue for your hosts, or for the person that set it up.
    Sidenote: You should never let a stranger look in on your setup. (sensitive info and all that). Best people are Host, paid support, paid tech, paid employee of some kind etc.

Well, it's very true but there just aren't any WordPress high-class developers in Georgia yet and if I pay for one of US WordPress experts studios it will take days or weeks (talking, planning, paying and this all official works) and as my network is very fresh, I have nothing to loose and whom I can trust more than WPMU DEV stuff in this case.

But like I said, best person is the person that set it up. What to ask them...
    Tell them that "There are some permissions problem - users can't upload pictures, backups, mp3, anything." and that they should find / fix this issue. And the solution isn't making the directory permissions to 777 - that is a lazy answer, and if the owner/groups isn't the issue then 777 the directory wouldn't do much as the problem would lie somewhere else.

Yes, I don't know why but they prefer to answer that lazy question. Maybe they can't find solution because they don't have to - I mean, if it's WordPress-side and not server-side. That's why I need help just to understand what should be done with this - is it business of my hosting tech or is it mine. I will take decision according to that.

---

So, both problem remains, one of them are partly solved:

1) Mails are already sent from my site (there was no sendmail function and that prevented mails from being sent from my site before) BUT to SPAM folder. I'd wait for Phil, maybe he is able to help me.

2) And permissions of course, you know, when user creates a blog, there is automatically created it's own folder in blogs.dir directory. And site says it's unable to create that one.

Thanks Johnatan,

Kote

* UPDATE

So your box must not have been set up correctly - shrugs.

If that's problem, I still should know ANYTHING about that to tell my hosting tech what to do. They don't need to be WordPress experts themselves, so only thing they offer me is "tell us what to do and it will be done".

* UPDATE

So, main purpose for me in this thread is just to find out - is it WordPress-side or server-setting-up-side problem? (Basic advises would be better). Then I will disturb my host tech no problem, I will just say that - don't even think about 777, do whatever else you want :smiley:

• Philip John

This is definitely a server problem that your host needs to troubleshoot and solve. As I said earlier I've seen the issue before (with the owner/group) but was never able to find the root cause - that is the job of your host (if they don't do it, consider a new host that will support you properly).

On the e-mail issue they are likely hitting the spam folder because the e-mail address listed in the "from" section is tied to a different e-mail server from the one on which your web site sits. They are going into spam because your mail client thinks the e-mails are "spoof" e-mails.

The way to get round that is to move your e-mail server to the same as your web hosts, or attempt to set up what's called SPF records.

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.