Personal Details section on Membership Account Page

How do I add more fields to the Personal Detail section on the account page?

There is a setting that controls fields, and their display on the Registration Page and a Form Page. I would've thought that this 'Form Page' would be what the Personal Details pulls from, but what ever I change/add to the Form Page doesn't change what appears under the Personal Details.

Currently Personal Details has
First Name
Last Name
User Name
Email.

I'd want to add other items like Nickname, or Display As, or Bio, etc.

Thanks.

• Milan

Hello @Daniel,

I hope you are having a good day and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

Setting up fields with Profile Field addon won't work here as those data are not being fetched on account page.

Dear member for account page our plugin uses [ms-membership-account] shortcode and that shortcode only fetches data which have been defined as protected user properties which are ,

first_name,
    last_name,
    username,
    email

Having that said its very difficult to fetch those data on account page unless we go with core plugin file editing. If its okay to you just let me know which information about user you want to display on account page ? Are it only those which you've mentioned or you want to include some more. ?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks & Kind Regards,
    Milan Savaliya.

• Daniel

@Alex Yes, profile is turned on with Addons. Thanks though.

@Milan Hmm, that's unfortunate, I was hoping for a setting change or simple code addition.

Let me take a step back, and describe a little more of the background. Currently I'm building a Multisite, making use of multiple plugins including Membership Pro 2, BBpress and Buddypress.

I'm currently using the Membership Pro 2 Registration page (NOT Buddypress, addon = turned off).

Now a lot of BBpress/Buddypress will use Nickname on things (and where they used username, I have/will change it to use nickname). So this is a pretty important field.

On the MP2 (Membership Pro 2) account page, I'd like it to also show Nickname. That's the only field that actively needs to be available.

That being said, I've learned a little more since I first posted. The 'Edit' page for personal details then takes you to a page that shows your entire profile. THIS page is what is effected by the Profile Field Add-On. So while it doesn't show the Nickname on the Account page, it will show up on the Edit Personal Fields page. I can direct via links or text descriptions if necessary (may be easier than modifying plugin files).

However, the Profile Edit page does not work. I am unable to reliably change any details on the page, including Nickname, First Name, Display As, Email. Etc.

Nickname and Display As 100% always failed to save. I managed to change my Email once - but then couldn't even change it back to what it was originally. I didn't try changing password...

I don't know if this is a profile page conflict (with other plugins), or if the page itself just doesn't work properly. In short, the only option I have is directing users to go into their cpanel and change their profile fields there! (Which means that I will hide the MP2 Account page completely anyways)... I prefer to keep users only on the front end of the website though!

~Edit - On second thought, it could be an issue with the profile edit page thinking those fields are 'read only'. I have tested them on both Optional and Required, to no effect.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Daniel,

I hope you're well today and thank you for sharing your finding with me. I've conducted some more tests following yours on my own test setup and I can confirm that the "nickname" field is not saving properly. Both e-mail and password were saving fine for me but nickname wasn't affected by any changes. It seems then that we may have a glitch in a plugin here.

That said, I'm forwarding this to plugin's developer and hopefully he'll be able to identify and solve he issue. Please note though that his response time may be a bit longer than ours here on support forum. If you keep track on this thread I'll keep you informed as I'll get feedback from the developer.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Daniel

@Alex How is that helpful?.

Do you know how many 'requests' get ignored, forgotten, or 'lost'?... Having the right person send another request/follow-up makes a difference. I've waited MONTHS to get a fix on another WPMU plug-in, and ended up losing that contract because it took so long. I don't want to do that again.

An update doesn't mean get me a fix right now. It means I'd like more information about what's happening. If it's going to take a month to get a fix pushed out, I'll start looking for an alternative.

(Edit - it seems you've edited your posts since I last saw it, thanks for passing along the message).

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the delay on this thread.
    None of the threads are getting ignored/forgotten/lost, it just depends on number of threads we have opening by members and if the number of those is unusually high there can be delay in response times but all threads are being handled.

Our developers are currently working on M2 update and there are few things that need to be addressed so we are not sure when the new release will be ready but it's one of our most popular plugins so we should see it soon, and Adam has created bug report already so devs are aware of this issue.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Daniel

I feel like the M2 update didn't really solve the issue.

Nicknames can now save while in profile editing. This is definitely a step forward - but nickname does NOT effect display name.

Any plug-in/wordpress feature that displays nickname is safe. BUT for all features/plugins where display name is used over the nickname, account usernames are still exposed!

The display name is defaulted to be username, and is NOT changeable (as far as I could do) while in the front end Membership 2 profile edit. (on the front end. I know in the back-end panel (admin dashboard) display names can still be changed, but the whole point was for users to stay on the front end).

Is there a setting to have display name default to nickname?

And if there isn't - can't this be added into Membership 2? I know I'm not the only person who wants to protect account usernames from being publicly displayed...

The right way would really have been to build it like wordpress, and have display name being a drop-down selection field that pulls from username, nickname, and first/last name.

Predrag Dubajic Adam Czajczyk

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Daniel!

Thank you for your replay. It's been already some time since our previous talks here so I'd like to make sure that I'm following you correctly.

I double-checked it and I can confirm that the Nickname filed is now saving and the "Display As" field is not saving regardless of what data you put there. This would be a bug to be fixed, however I assume that it would be better if instead letting user just "type in" the value there he/she would be able to select it from the drop-down field just like in WP profile edit page.

That drop-down list includes combinations of username, first name, last name and nickname. If we could fix this, would that then be fine or did I missed anything?

Let me know please!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Daniel

Adam Czajczyk

I double-checked it and I can confirm that the Nickname filed is now saving

Correct

the "Display As" field is not saving regardless of what data you put there.

Also correct

This would be a bug to be fixed, however I assume that it would be better if instead letting user just "type in" the value there he/she would be able to select it from the drop-down field just like in WP profile edit page.

This would help, but it wouldn't entirely fix everything (there are two problems). Modifying display name with a dropdown, and being able to save would fix one.

However, I'd prefer display name default to nickname, when a new user registers. Now I'm not sure if this is something most people want, or just a few - so having it as an option would be best. The second problem is that users will always have to edit their display name as soon as they register, or they may expose their usernames.

Thanks for the quick follow-up!

• Alex Stine

Hello,
    I am not sure if Adam is aware, this is why I will bring it up. There is a Membership2 beta that fixes the profile saving bug and fixes the Display As field bug. If you want to try it out, it does seem pretty stable. You can download it from the below link.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/add-signature-form-to-membership2pro#post-1073676
    Remember to take a backup. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
    Alex :smiley:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Daniel!

I think you should try the beta release suggested by Alex. I didn't say anything about it before because at the time of writing my recent replay to you I didn't have this tested yet against the issue in question.

However, I tested it now and also Alex confirms that it seems to be working fine (thanks Alex!), so could you give it a try? You can download it from here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/add-signature-form-to-membership2pro?bb_attachments=1073676&bbat=91254

To apply it to your site please:

- disable Membership 2 on "Plugins -> All plugins" page (don't delete it)
    - access your site via FTP
    - go to "/wp-content/plugins" folder
    - delete the "membership" folder
    - upload the "membership" folder from inside of the downloaded .zip file to the "/wp-content/plugins" folder on you server
    - enable plugin back on "Plugins -> All plugins" page of your dashboard

Let me know if this solves the problem.

Best regards.

• Daniel

Updated to the released version - it now works from profile editing. Sorry, never tried the beta one.

Unsure if Display As automatically takes from nickname upon initial registration, but the core functionality (being able to change display as name) is now there and working great. (The name displayed in Chat plug-in takes from Display As)

Also have not tested it with Buddypress or BBPress to see if they prioritizie Nickname over Display As or Username) but as long as nickname and display as are the same, it should work fine.

Alex Stine Adam Czajczyk Thank-you!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.