Photo Gallery problems

I have got a couple of problems with my photo gallery that may be related:
- All I can currently see from my computer admin panel is the last two photos I have loaded. The photo gallery below it cannot be seen, although it can be seen as a regular visitor from my computer. Other people can apparently see the photo gallery. The guy from Web Hosting Hub who was trying to help me could see the gallery from his computer. This occurred after Web Hosting Hub reloaded my web site yesterday from a back-up because I had inadvertently deleted the whole page when I thought I was deleting one photo.

-For the last several days when I have loaded a photo, instead of going into the gallery, it has stayed at the top as a full size picture. A day or two previous to that I was able to load a new photo into the gallery as before. I don't know whether something changed or I have been doing something wrong in my procedure.

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jon,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I visited your site and checked "Photo Gallery" page. I must say that I'm able to see entire gallery as well so I'd start with clearing your browser's cache first. I think this should help with that first issue as it seems this is a "local" problem.

I can however confirm that the "top of the gallery" is somewhat "broken". I found out that you're using NextGen Gallery plugin on the site but I'm not sure why this is happening.

Let me please know what should be the "default" look of the Photo Gallery page. It would also be very helpful if you could grant me a support access to your site so I could take a closer look. To do this please follow this guide here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

Jon

Adam -Thank you for your response. I have clicked grant support access so that you can get in.
    I don't know what the browser's cache is or how to clear it. If you can do that yourself, that would be great. If not, please let me know how to do it.

I'm actually not totally sure about the default look of the photo gallery. I believe it just showed the photo gallery. But it is possible that one photo was left on top at full size. Either way would be okay.

In addition to the problem I mentioned of photos not entering the gallery, I'd also like to know how to arrange the order of the photos and how to create some folders or groups within the gallery.

I"m going out for a bit. I should be back in an hour or two.

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jon!

I don't know what the browser's cache is or how to clear it. If you can do that yourself, that would be great. If not, please let me know how to do it.

I'm not able to clear cache in your browser because this can only be done on a computer that you are using Take a look at this site please, it should help:

http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/

This page is unfortunately a bit outdated but should be clear enough to help you get an idea.

The good news however is that clearing browser's cache here wouldn't be necessary. I checked the site using support access so please read on

I'm actually not totally sure about the default look of the photo gallery. I believe it just showed the photo gallery. But it is possible that one photo was left on top at full size. Either way would be okay.

You can indeed see only two images in admin panel because there are images that were added directly to the page using WordPress editor. I adjusted those images a bit so they now don't "break" page layout.

The gallery is not visible inside the post editor. When you're viewing the "Photo Gallery" page in admin panel (dashboard)/in WordPress editor you may switch from "Visual" to "Text" tab and you'll see that there's a line at the very bottom of the content that says: [nggallery id="1"].

This is called "shortcode" and is converted to the gallery "on the fly" when the site is loaded by user. That's why you don't see the gallery in page editor but you do see it on front-end. That's perfectly fine and expected behavior.

That being said, if you add images to that page (via WordPress editor) the won't be added to the gallery but instead will show up on a page just like those two photos above the gallery.

In order to add new images to the gallery (or remove/re-order existing ones) you'll want to go to the "Gallery -> Manage galleries" page in your admin dashboard and then select the gallery that you wish to edit. In case of "Photo Gallery" page it would be the "Bio" gallery on top of the list.

In addition to the problem I mentioned of photos not entering the gallery, I'd also like to know how to arrange the order of the photos and how to create some folders or groups within the gallery.

To add images to the gallery:
    - go to "Gallery -> Add Gallery/Images" page
    - select gallery ("Bio" in this case) from the "Gallery" drop-down box
    - click on "Add images"
    - select images to be added

To change image order inside a gallery:
    - go to "Gallery -> Manage Galleries" page
    - select gallery to edit ("Bio" in this case)
    - click on "Sort gallery" button and select sort order

You may "group" photos by creating "Albums" and then putting galleries inside these albums. Album would be the "main gallery" then and actual galleries would be your "folders/groups".

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

Jon

Adam - Your instructions sounded good, but unfortunately, a lot of them didn't work for me. Here are problems I'm encountering:
    - I followed these instructions: To add images to the gallery:
    - click on "Add images"
    Instead of "select images I see drag images or select files. When I dragged a couple of images, they showed up in a list at bottom of page - in manage galleries, I believe. But they never appeared in the actual gallery. When I did another photo by clicking on add file, the picture showed up as a humongous photo above the gallery and also in the gallery as a thumbnail containing just a tiny portion of the picture. The photo is me reading The Bossy Galllito in front of the HIspanic bookmobile.That last problem seems related to the first photo in gallery of me sitting in front of the yellow forsythia relates to a problem with another; the thumbnail cuts off my head.

- I tried to remove the family picture on a porch in Mexico. It seems I deleted it, but it doesn't go away. Actually, what I'd like to do is crop out some of the background, then put it in the gallery, but I couldn't get the crop to work.

- Also, regarding an album, what I want to do, I believe, is change Bio into an album, so that I can then put galleries of subsets inside it. IL'd like to leave some photos in the general album and then add some others, and also move others into folders (galleries?) and add others. Can you tell me how I can accomplish this step by step?

- One other problem I'm having with another page is that in School Programs, I'd like more options for fonts. I added a fonts plugin, but I don't know how to actually access it and get it to work.

Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jon,

To add new image try going to Gallery > Add Gallery / Images panel, expand "Import from WordPress Media Library" field and there you should be able to select new images from media gallery directly.

- I tried to remove the family picture on a porch in Mexico. It seems I deleted it, but it doesn't go away. Actually, what I'd like to do is crop out some of the background, then put it in the gallery, but I couldn't get the crop to work.

For this part you should go to Photo Gallery page in backend and try removing image from there directly.
    It's possible you've removed wrong image and even you remove the correct one the holder will still show in your page content and render as broken image on front end.

- Also, regarding an album, what I want to do, I believe, is change Bio into an album, so that I can then put galleries of subsets inside it. IL'd like to leave some photos in the general album and then add some others, and also move others into folders (galleries?) and add others. Can you tell me how I can accomplish this step by step?

I'm not much familiar with the NextGen gallery plugin but you should be able to do this by going to Manage Albums and create new album there, after that I believe you can move desired galleries in that specific album.

I believe it would be good idea to raise this question on NextGen support forum as well as their developers are familiar with entire functionality of this plugin and should be able to give you more precise answers faster.
    You can do so here:
    https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/nextgen-gallery
    You should also check out their documentation for the plugin here:
    https://www.imagely.com/docs/nextgen-gallery/

- One other problem I'm having with another page is that in School Programs, I'd like more options for fonts. I added a fonts plugin, but I don't know how to actually access it and get it to work.

Since there are already couple of questions here and this one is unrelated to original question or plugin it might be best to raise this question in new thread so we don't have a cluster of questions here.
    Basically this image should explain how the plugin works:
    https://s.w.org/plugins/font/screenshot-1.png?r=1464809

Best regards,
    Predrag

Jon

I am still not able to load images successfully to my gallery. They end up hugely oversized.
    Below are your suggestions:
    First suggestion:
    - click on "Add images"

Next suggestion:
    To add new image try going to Gallery > Add Gallery / Images panel, expand "Import from WordPress Media Library" field and there you should be able to select new images from media gallery directly.

In both cases the photos loaded were completely oversized. If you will look at my panel you will see this. Also, the process of adding images seems to lead to manage images, which I have also done. However, you did not mention this.

Also, I seem to have added Next gen gallery by mistake. Would you please tell me how to remove this plugin and return to the regular gallery, but with a widget on the sidebar? I am afraid of erasing the whole lot of photos, which I did once before while trying to delete a picture.

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jon!

I reviewed the site again and I can see that two images were indeed loaded as "full-size" images and are displayed that way as well. I don't think it's a default NextGen behavior but I must admit I'm not sure why this happened. I'd need to investigate it further (if you wish me to).

I tend to agree though that in case of your site it may be better to switch to a native WP gallery feature which is quite easy to use and, of course, fully integrated and compliant with WordPress

The difficulty is that NextGen is storing images in its own folders and database tables which makes it quite hard to "convert" to native WP gallery as all the images would need to be re-uploaded and galleries recreated manually.

There's a plugin by Konstantin Koveshenin however that converts NextGen galleries to native WordPress galleries. That said, if you wish to get rid of NextGen gallery plugin indeed, follow these steps:

1. Download the file that I attached to this post
    2. Go to "Plugins -> Add new -> Upload" page in your site's dashboard
    3. Use "Browse" button to select that zip file that you downloaded from this post
    4. Click on "Install" and then "Activate"

Once this is done visit following link on your site:

jonsundell.com/wp-admin/?escape_ngg_please=1

The plugin will then scan your site and convert NextGen galleries into regular WP galleries, including taking care of the images.

After that you will be able to simply "deactivate" and "delete" NextGen plugin via "Plugins -. All plugins" page.

Then we could proceed and add some styling to the galleries (if necessary) to make them look good.

Unfortunately, WP doesn't include any "gallery widget" that would work with that but I think after you got core WP galleries working I'll be able to find out some solution for this.

Best regards,
    Adam

Jon

Adam -

Yes, of course I would like for you to try and figure out what is causing the humongous photos to appear at the top of my gallery.

I do not understand what you mean by visiting the link you gave me, listed below. I copied the address into the address bar, and it did not bring me anything of use. I don't know if the link is wrong or I'm not doing what I should. I would really like to get this settled. Here are your directions below.

Once this is done visit following link on your site:

jonsundell.com/wp-admin/?escape_ngg_please=1

The plugin will then scan your site and convert NextGen galleries into regular WP galleries, including taking care of the images.

After that you will be able to simply "deactivate" and "delete" NextGen plugin via "Plugins -. All plugins" page.

Please be as clear and complete as you can with any directions and test them out to see they will work.

Although you and others at wpmudev have been good about sending suggestions, very few of them have actually helped me.ON the whole I'd say about 25% of the time. After a week I've accomplished very little and been constantly frustrated.

Jon Sundell

Dimitris

Hey there Jon,

I hope you're well today and I'm really sorry for the frustration here.

I just took another look in your site and seems to me that the shortcode migration process was successfully over. I can now see in the text edit screen of the "Photo Gallery" page a [gallery....] instead of [nggallery...] shortcode. When I visit this page in the front end I can truly see a default image gallery in a 3-column grid.

Can you please confirm that the aforementioned gallery is right? You can now even proceed into creating any other new galleries, grouping your images into separate shortcodes. Here's the codex page for [gallery] https://codex.wordpress.org/Gallery_Shortcode

Are there any other pages, widgets or anything else, in where you were using NextGenGallery shortcodes? We should inspect these too to confirm that they are converted correctly.

If all of these aspects uses a default [gallery] shortcode, then you should be free to deactivate and delete the NGG plugin from your plugins listing and we may proceed with any styling customizations that you may need.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Jon

Dmitri -

Thank you for looking at my site. I am glad to see that there are no longer enormous versions of pictures, but there are lots of new problems.

I would rather have four columns in the gallery. I would also like the thumbnail to blow up to a larger size, comparable to the top photo of me sitting in front of the yellow forsythia bush and for it to not jump up to the very top of the page. These things didn't appear before. Also, I don't want a huge number to indicate the image #. Of course, I don't want two copies of every photo either.

I am not aware of using any special widgets for New Generation Galleries. I'm fine with deleting it. I just don't want to accidentally delete the photos.

I have never used code. I looked at the CODEX link, but I don't understand how to actually apply it, and I thought that the gallery was set up so that it could be managed without code.

I tried to follow previous instructions just now to load another photo to the gallery, but nothing happened.

Can you help me work through these issues. I need clear, complete non-technical instructions. Any technical coding you can do for me would be much appreciated.

Jon Sundell

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jon!

I would rather have four columns in the gallery.

I edited the "Photo Gallery" page and replaced this shortcode

[gallery exclude="465,462,463,354,348"]

with this one:

[gallery exclude="465,462,463,354,348" columns="4"]

There are now four columns.

I would also like the thumbnail to blow up to a larger size, comparable to the top photo of me sitting in front of the yellow forsythia bush and for it to not jump up to the very top of the page.

I have installed "jQuery Lightbox for Native Galleries" plugin on your site. When you click on an image in the gallery it will "pop out" nicely now. I hope that would work for you. You may however want to go to this page in your site's dashboard:

"Settings -> jQuery Lightbox"

and select different theme in order to change the look of this "pop out" image viewer.

Also, I don't want a huge number to indicate the image #

I'm not quite sure what do you mean. Could you please elaborate a bit on this? It would be great if you could share a screenshot of your site showing this.

Of course, I don't want two copies of every photo either.

I must admit that I'm not sure why those images got "doubled". When I was testing the plugin I recommended previously (the one to migrate from NextGen to native WP gallery) on my site I didn't experience anything like this and all the images were properly copied to new gallery. I suppose though that the plugin may have been called two times and this caused the issue.

The bottom line is that when you'll be adding new images, they shouldn't show up two times each and the simplest solution to get rid of those duplicates would be to go to the "Media Library" page and simply delete them from there. It'd be better if you could do this yourself because I wouldn't want to remove anything that's supposed to stay there. One suggestion though: before removing an image first please preview it - I noticed that some of those duplicates are bigger and some a smaller so it would be best to remove those that are smaller.

Let me know please when you're ready with this and I'll proceed with removing NextGen Gallery plugin from the site (if you wish me to).

Kind regards,
    Adam

Jon

Adam -

Thanks for arranging the four columns of thumbnails. The pop-ups look okay. (On a lower priority I'd like to be able to enlarge the small ones if this is possible.) However, I'd like the pop-ups to show the photo labels, and I'd like to be able to add or change some of them. Would that be in the Media Library?
    As usual, what seemed simple for you didn't work for me. I went to Media Library Page and deleted all the second copies of photos + a few others I didn't want anymore. When I checked in the front end, some doubles were still there, and I could find my way back to Media library to remove those.
    I would appreciate it if you would remove the smaller versions of any remaining duplicates. Also, please tell me how I"m supposed to get to the media library to be able to edit photos.

The Next Generation Gallery appears to still be there in full force. When I click on the gallery widget on the left hand menu, I get the big NGG display.

After you get rid of the Next Generation Gallery I'd appreciate it if could please help me with labeling all the photos and setting up sub-folders within the gallery. I need very precise step by step instructions that you have tried out or, if you can do it for me, that would be great.

Thanks,
    Jon Sundell

Jon

Adam -

I've just realized that the second and third section of my Publications Page, which is part of Photo Gallery, have lost all the photos of pages from these books. Could that have occurred because of working with the Photo Gallery plugin? The third section - another book - is still there. Web Hosting Hub recently restored my web site, and it could be due to that. Also,my recordings page disappeared. Could that have occurred because of photo gallery adjustments?

Jon Sundell

Dimitris

Hi there Jon,

I hope you're having a beautiful day and don't mind skipping in!

However, I'd like the pop-ups to show the photo labels, and I'd like to be able to add or change some of them. Would that be in the Media Library?

The pop-ups of this plugin seems that do not support such functionality. If this is a great need of yours we can simply search and test another popup plugin.
    Right now, you can have some caption text in the grid view, right below each image. Simply go to Media Library, pick a photo and edit it's caption.

I would appreciate it if you would remove the smaller versions of any remaining duplicates.

I just went ahead and deleted 3-4 duplicates that I found in Media Library.
    If you still experience duplicated images, feel free to inform us and be as specific as possible. I really don't want to erase anything that shouldn't have been erased.

Also, please tell me how I"m supposed to get to the media library to be able to edit photos.

Media Library -> choose a photo -> Edit image

The Next Generation Gallery appears to still be there in full force. When I click on the gallery widget on the left hand menu, I get the big NGG display.

That's true as we are using a NextGen widget Gallery. Do you still need this gallery in the sidebar? Please advise!

After you get rid of the Next Generation Gallery I'd appreciate it if could please help me with labeling all the photos and setting up sub-folders within the gallery. I need very precise step by step instructions that you have tried out or, if you can do it for me, that would be great.

The labeling can be done easily as I mentioned in the first screenshot of this reply. Go to Media Library, choose a photo, then edit the Title and Caption.
    Follows a screenshot on how to create a gallery. The catch here is that you actually build the appropriate gallery shortcode, rather than storing your photos in different folders (they are all in Media Library and can be used in any number of [gallery]), or setting subfolders within the gallery.
    [PLEASE CHECK NEXT REPLY]

I've just realized that the second and third section of my Publications Page, which is part of Photo Gallery, have lost all the photos of pages from these books. Could that have occurred because of working with the Photo Gallery plugin? The third section - another book - is still there. Web Hosting Hub recently restored my web site, and it could be due to that. Also,my recordings page disappeared. Could that have occurred because of photo gallery adjustments?

I realise that the issue is about the "Stay with Us" page, is that right? http://jonsundell.com/publications/stay-with-us/
    Where there a gallery that now has gone? Please advise!
    I can also see that there's a shortcode in there that can't be resolved. It seems something like for issu publications? Can you please explain to me what were you displaying there? This should have happened due to a plugin deactivation and/or deletion and doesn't have to do with the galleries.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Jon

Dimitris or Adam or whoever reads this -

I mentioned in my last communication that I had discovered that the entire contents of my recordings page was missing, and about 2/3 of my publications page. I think these were lost a few days ago when Web Hosting Hub replaced my web site with a back-up or due to some changes I made in plugins since then. As a result, I have asked them to put back the pre-restore version. This, unfortunately, is missing the Photo Gallery page (bio), which is why I had them restore the web site, so I'll need to build that again. I hope this doesn't bother you guys too much. In a way, it may be easier to just start from scratch, without the Next Generation Gallery or other confusing elements I may have gotten mixed in. I'm getting the photos organized in a single file, so they will be easy to load. They should have the web site restored in about 3-4 hours. I'd greatly appreciate your help getting the photo gallery set up when that's done.

Thanks,
    Jon

Jon

Hi, Dimitris or Adam or other person -

Web Hosting Hub restored my previous web site version, which brought back my recordings page. It didn't, however, resolve the missing items from the Publications page. Those were were shots of full pages. Stay with Us - most pages showed an article about a singer/ storyteller plus a photo or a song sheet with words and music. Some others were all text. The brochure about the Lilbrary had similarly large pages of text or text plus photo. You suggested that the loss of those pages may be due to changes in a plug-in. Is it possible you could figure that out. Otherwise I could reload the pages if I get the procedure correct.

I need to finish organizing my pictures, then I can try to reload those for the Bio page. If you can help me set up that page, I 'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jon Sundell

Milan

Hello Jon

I hope you are well today and won't mind me chiming here.

I can see that it's been really long conversation with you about issue, and its quite complex now to summarize issues. So could you please be kind enough and summarize your issues currently you are facing ? Please be as specific as you can, it'll help us a lot to figure out where to start our troubleshottings.

Best Regards,
    Milan

Jon

Milan -
    Thanks for your note. I have had lot of trouble following instructions given me. They rarely match what I see on my screen, so I generally cannot get them to work. For example when I have followed directions to add photos in NGG, they generally haven't made it onto the actual page. Or when I try to select multiple photso in media library, I can't. I can only get one. Right now, the situation has changed because in order to get back my recordings page which had disappeared, I had to return to a former version where I lost the entire photo gallery page. So I am starting from scratch. What I want to have is a photo gallery page with a main photo gallery or display and several (probably 7) sub displays within that page. I want each to have medium size thumbnails that expand to semi full page when you click on them, and I want to be able to label them.

I have tried following instructions for the basic gallery & also Next Gen gallery, but my situation doesn't seem to match all the instructions for either. I don't know whether I've got partial NextGen or a different version of WP or what. I was trying to remove Next Gen because someone told me they weren't familiar with it, but I'm open to either, and I son't know whether having nextgen prevents you from using the default gallery.

Also, there's a gallery issue with the publications page - Stay With Us, a book of mine I had displayed will no longer display, so someone suggested embedding the book from Issuu. I'm not really clear about how to do that. Also, a pamphlet about the library has disappeared.

So I'd like to restore those things. Since I can't really chat, which would allow someone to coach me as I try to do these things, I think what I need is for the helper to actually try out what they are recommending on my web site, so they can give me precise directions that actually match my page. I have no experience with code, and most of the demos I've seen don't use it, it would be helpful to have directions that don't use it.

I have emailed five different pros in your list to pay someone to do this or help me in real time, but I have received no responses.

Jon Sundell

Tyler Postle

Hey Jon,

Hope you're doing well today.

Since I can't really chat, which would allow someone to coach me as I try to do these things, I think what I need is for the helper to actually try out what they are recommending on my web site, so they can give me precise directions that actually match my page.

It sounds like you will need to hire a developer or NextGen Gallery support person. I see you've already reached out on our jobs board; however, the the jobs board members here tend to be more accustomed to working with issues/customizations involving our products since it's a members only board.

I'd recommend checking out a place like https://codeable.io/ or https://www.upwork.com/ as well.

Codeable is WordPress specific so there is a good chance you will find someone familiar with NGG there.

Not saying you should never try our jobs board for third party stuff, it's always worth a shot, but just know that it's not always a guarantee that there will be an expert familiar with the product you need 1 on 1 support/development with.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help here, but when it comes to third party plugins we do need to draw the line eventually during the support process otherwise we would be spending all of our time supporting/troubleshooting third party stuff and members using our own products wouldn't be too happy if you do run into any issues with our own stuff then of course don't hesitate to ask!

All the best,
    Tyler

Jon

If I can create my photo gallery without Next Generation plugin, I am fine with that. It seems to me it is possible to do that, and I'm guessing from what I've seen that it can be done without coding.
    If someone could look at my site and give me instructions that actually work on my site using basic WordPress, that would seem to do the trick. What I'm trying to do is described in my previous post.

Tyler Postle

Hey Jon,

We don't have our own photo gallery plugin so you'll still need to use a third party product whether it's NGG or not and that means we won't be able to provide the support you need as far as a full setup service goes. We do have a blog post on a popular alternative to NGG: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/envira-gallery-review/

That includes some information on how to use it too so perhaps following that would be an option for you

If you're still unable to setup the gallery how you want with that plugin on your own then you will want to look into reaching out to their support or hiring someone as we suggested above.

Cheers,
    Tyler