Photo optimization (Hummingbird and Smush Pro)

I have smushed my images, however Hummingbird says I should smush them again. I did that before, and the images were very small and very pixelated. I ended up having to reinstall wordpress. Website Grader is also noticing a serious lagtime with my page and images. I am wondering if I am doing it incorrectly?

• James Morris

Hello Crystal,

I hope you are well today.

In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant me access to your site?

You can learn how to grant WPMU DEV Support Access at the following link:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please reply back here once you've enabled access so I will be notified.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Crystal,

I sincerely apologize for the delay in replying here and any problems it may have caused.

Taking a look at the options in your site, I see that you do not have some of the options enabled in Smush that can give you more gains in performance. See screenshot: https://goo.gl/sZbdp1

The reason Hummingbird is telling you to optimize your images is because you are not using these options and Hummingbird sees there's still gains that there is performance that can be gained by further compressing your images.

Doing a quick check of the images Hummingbird is complaining about, they are all full-size images. So, enabling compression of original images would help this score in Hummingbird.

However, given the content of your site, image quality is much more important that the average site. The options mentioned are great for general sizes as a slight loss in quality is not that noticeable for most sites. However, photography sites are all about the quality of the image.

You're options in this situation are:
    * Make a backup of your wp-content/uploads/ directory
    * Enable the options indicated
    * Re-check your images
    * Perform a Bulk Smush and take a minor loss in quality to get Hummingbird to give you the best score.

OR

* Ignore Hummingbird and run with what you have.

Having a high score is Hummingbird is good. However, in your situation, having a lower score is OK because quality of content is more important than a score that nobody but you will see. Given the very image heavy nature of your site, the performance is very good, so you're not going to be hurt too much leaving the images as is.

As a side note: I see you're using CSS to resize images on your site to a smaller size. This can cause Hummingbird to give you a poor score. You may want to select a smaller thumbnail size when setting up images on your page that are closer to the dimensions you actually want displayed. See screenshot: https://goo.gl/hRncna

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.