Photo problems and more issues

I have a couple of questions, first I have been running SmartCrawl and its been going for a day and a half, is this normal or is there something wrong? Thought it would have been done by now.
Second, I have used Smush Pro for my Media and thought thats all I would have to do for my photos but in the Performance Report it says I need to Compress and Resize certain images, I have no idea whatsoever where or how to even begin fixing this and this is apparently my lowest score so fixing this surely would increase my current poor pagespeed score which is 51....please helppp.

Thirdly, Remove Render Blocking Resources, again have no idea how or where to begin...thought once I got this software, all this is taken care of, so really lost, I'm not a backend kinda girl, wouldn't even know where to begin...it says this:

None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.

Remove render-blocking JavaScript:
and then shows what I need to fix....

Then there's the Leverage Browsers Caching and the Enable Compression issues that again have no idea how to fix, PLEASE HELP as much as possible because I am truly lost

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Cathy,

I have a couple of questions, first I have been running SmartCrawl and its been going for a day and a half, is this normal or is there something wrong? Thought it would have been done by now.

No, this is not normal. At the moment our developers are investigating cases like that so would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Second, I have used Smush Pro for my Media and thought thats all I would have to do for my photos but in the Performance Report it says I need to Compress and Resize certain images,

There two reports for image optimization.

1. Losslessly compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized and that's what smushing does.

2. Compressing and resizing - This shows that the images are resized via HTML and CSS

The second one is what's shown in your results and that's because your theme is loading images larger than it's HTML holder, for example 600x388px thumbnails on Home page but the actual HTML holder of that image is 120x so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder.

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can deal with since the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed google doesn't like loading image larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs.

Thirdly, Remove Render Blocking Resources, again have no idea how or where to begin...thought once I got this software, all this is taken care of, so really lost, I'm not a backend kinda girl, wouldn't even know where to begin...it says this:

This is something that Hummingbird Minification can do. It can move all the files to footer, combine them and make them smaller. However you should test files before moving them to footer as not all themes and plugins will play nicely when their files are moved. You can read about here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/render-blocking-css-and-js-and-hummingbird#post-1164911

Then there's the Leverage Browsers Caching and the Enable Compression issues that again have no idea how to fix, PLEASE HELP as much as possible because I am truly lost

If there are big red alerts showing when you try to enable them, please follow instruction in those errors: so contact your hosting provider (you can show them that error, they will know what to check) and if necessary run a quick plugin conflict test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart).
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Also take a look on this article on how to improve site speed https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/why-trying-to-get-95-on-google-pagespeed-insights-will-drive-you-mad/

kind regards,
    Kasia

Nithin

Hey Cathy,

Hope you are doing good today.

I have granted access to look into Smart Crawl, thank you for all your help.

I checked your website, and I could see the issue. The developers are aware of this, and are working on it. To troubleshoot this further, could you please enable debug mode, so that we could have a better idea regarding this. To enable it, open your wp-config.php file located in your root directory, and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

After making the above changes, please to run the SEO analytics. The related errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory.

Please attach these in your next reply in txt format file, so that we could give a closer look. You can find more details about debugging here.

Question about the photo Compress and Resizing answer, what exactly do I ask and do with the theme developer?

The issue is that the current image is larger that the content width of your theme, hence Google page speed is showing such images as not compressed. Easiest would be the share the thread link, so that it's easier for the theme devs to understand.

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin