PHP code to redirect Login to "Pages"

Hi.
Can anyone help me with a piece of php code that I could use to prevent the initial display of the Dashboard for 'sub-site' Admin logins (I have a dedicated Theme for sub-sites, in which I would like to place the code in the theme-functions.php!).

My wish is that an Admin login always display the "Home Page" Text Editor (when using the above specific Theme) upon entering the Admin Menu Display/Text Editor.

Hope this makes sense?

Thankiing you in advance.

Regards

johnv

• Rupok

Hi johnv,

Thanks for asking. I'm really sorry but I'm not sure if I understood the following part:

My wish is that an Admin login always display the "Home Page" Text Editor (when using the above specific Theme) upon entering the Admin Menu Display/Text Editor.

Did you mean that when an admin logs in, he will be taken to the back-end editor page for the theme homepage? If yes, then what page do you want to show after login for other user roles? And if not, can you please explain a bit more so we can provide a better solution?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• john

Hi Rupok .

Thank you for your reply.

I found it a 'wee bit' confusing myself, when trying to write it!!!!!

All the sub-sites covered by the Theme I wish to amend, only have one page!

So (of course) this is the 'Home Page'. The home page (on all sites) are call :- "Back of Card".

Hope this help!

In the WP Admin Editor I have hidden the Dashboard from display,ing in the WP Admin Editor Sidebar (Menu still displays for certain Plugins/Page/etc).

When I type in:- http://web-me.at/wp-admin/ I get the "Dashboard" which I wish to Hide form Admins!

If these logins could be taken to the "Back of Card" view (open in editor) that would serve my purpose!!

Hoping this clarifies somewhat!

johnv

• john

Hi Kasia.

Thank you for your reply!

I am not so concerned with the main site. So this uses a different Theme!

I am using the "Pro-site" plugin and the "Blog Template Plugin", which employs a dedicated Theme. This is why I would prefer to put Php code in the theme-function Php.

Thus, the function here is that all users signed up for a 'sub-site'; are provided with a 'one page only' 'templated' site upon login.

Thus the Wordpress Dashboard ; essentially; gives the impression of being redundant in "my scheme of things" for this particular install!

Therefore, for a user ; upon login; to be taken straight to the single Admin 'Page Editor' Page would a very convenient arrangement, I suspect!!!!

Hope this offers some clarification into my scrambled description?

Do please ask foe more explanation attempts, if needs be!

Regards
    John

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi @johnvocehome!

I did it a try and I came up with some code. If I correctly understood you goal, it should work. What it does is:

- it fires up only upon login
    - if a logged in user is a super-admin, code does nothing
    - if a logged in user is a user of any role other than super-admin that doesn't have his/her own site (blog), it also doesn't do anything
    - if a logged in user has a blog it then:

* checks list of blogs of that user (where he/she is an administrator);
    * if there's more than one blog, it takes the most recent one created;
    * it checks if there's a static homepage set and takes an id of that page
    * if there is such page set, it redirects to the WP editor in WP admin area to edit that page

Give it a try and let's see :slight_smile: I'd suggest adding it rather as an mu plugin than putting it into "functions.php" file of the theme. To use it as MU plugin simply:

- create an empty file with a .php extension (e.g. "my-admins-edit-redirect.php")
    - using "clean text" editor such as e.g. Notepad++, Sublime or similar, put this code inside:

<?php 

function wpmu_redirect_to_homepage_edit($redirect_org, $request, $user) {

if (!is_super_admin()) {

if ( isset( $user->roles ) && is_array( $user->roles ) ) {
    		//check for admins
    			if ( in_array( 'administrator', $user->roles ) ) {

$user_id = $user->ID;

$role = 'administrator';

$blogs = get_blogs_of_user( $user_id );

foreach ( $blogs as $blog_id => $blog ) {

// Get the user object for the user for this blog.
    					$user = new WP_User( $user_id, '', $blog_id );

// Remove this blog from the list if the user doesn't have the role for it.
    					if ( ! in_array( $role, $user->roles ) ) {
    						unset( $blogs[ $blog_id ] );
    					}
    				}

if ( count( $blogs) > 1) {
    					$blogs = array_reverse( $blogs );
    					$blogs = $blogs[1];
    				}

switch_to_blog( $blogs->userblog_id);
    				$homepage_id = get_option( 'page_on_front' );

$redirect_to = get_site_url( $blogs->userblog_id ) . '/wp-admin/post.php?post=' . $homepage_id . '&action=edit';

return $redirect_to;
    			}
    		}
    		else {
    			return $redirect_org;
    		}
    	}
    	else {
    		return $redirect_org;
    	}

}

add_filter( 'login_redirect' , 'wpmu_redirect_to_homepage_edit', 10, 3);

- save the file and upload it to the /wp-content/mu-plugins folder of your multisite install; if there's no "mu-plugins" folder inside "wp-content" folder, just create an empty one.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.