PHP Fatal Error CoursePress Theme

I recently updated CoursePress Pro on vitalityadvocates.com and we are using the CoursePress theme. We have a child theme. The theme is activated on our template blog: ustemplate We are getting the following fatal error:
[08-Feb-2017 20:08:54 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'CoursePress' not found in /home/j93df0x5apwc8q/public_html/wp-content/themes/coursepress/functions.php on line 181

Also, it would be so, so, so much easier to manage if WPMUdev would treat the CoursePress theme like all themes and when it needs to be updated, we would do so in the themes dashboard.

Kasia Swiderska

Hello antKat,

Was CoursePress activated on that site when that error showed up? Because I checked that site and CoursePress was not active - so child theme of CoursePress theme was not working because parent theme is using functions from plugin. If plugin is not activated then theme will also not work.
    I activated CoursePress on that subsite and there is no more white screen.

You don't need now to copy theme from plugin - you can use it for child theme from current location.
    I'm attaching sample child theme that I'm using on my site that has as parent theme in plugin directory.

kind regards,
    Kasia

antKat

When I first tested the CoursePress theme on our network, it did not require the CoursePress plugin to be activated. I have made CoursePress theme the default theme in the Pro Sites Blog Template, HOWEVER, CoursePress is a premium plugin! Up until recently I was able to do this in our testing. I am hoping that our users do not have to change themes when they want to upgrade to add CoursePress plugin. What can I do to make the CoursePress theme work without the CoursePress plugin? Again, I was able to do this approx. a month ago.

Kasia Swiderska

Hello antKat,

I have to admit here that I'm surprised and confused - because as long as I can remember I wasn't able to use CoursePress theme without CoursePress. I do really big amount of testing every day and when very often when I was testing CoursePress and its theme I would forgot to change theme after deactivating CoursePress for another test and that was resulting in fatal errors.
    I tested this now on my site and again I was able to replicate this.
    CoursePress Theme is created to work with CoursePress and it uses very functions that are only available in plugin - so plugin is necessary for theme to work.

Is it possible that you were checking this on your template pages where CoursePress plugin could be enabled?

I will ask developers about that - if it is possible that one of the theme versions in CoursePress 2.X had changes that would allow to theme work without the plugin.

kind regards,
    Kasia

antKat

I have yet to hear back from developer regarding the use of CoursePress theme without the CoursePress plugin. I believe when I first tested this many months ago, it was possible. Again, I am trying to use CoursePress theme as the default on multisite blog template with the CoursePress plugin a pro site premium plugin. I am trying to set this up so that our website subscribers do not have to switch themes and the accompanying required setup.

At a minimum, I would think that there should be something in the child theme functions that could provide for this. Please help.