PHP Notices using Marketpress Pro – help!

I joined as a paid member to get MarketPress Pro; I’ve been looking at MP since December. I could never get it to work without define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false).

Surely this wouldn’t be an issue if I spend the money for the Pro version – right? So… I just agreed to integrate MarketPress Pro for a customer.

I was wrong. I just finished a completely fresh install of WP 8.1 single-site and MarketPress 2.9.3.2, released yesterday, 2014 theme (I also tried 2013 and 2012).

Basic setup – set state, tax, and PayPal info, everything else is default. Imported sample data from sample-marketpress-import.csv.

Without define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false) php throws e_notices all over the place. At least I got through the setup without back-end errors but in the front-end as soon as I go to the Store page and select anything Products, Shopping Cart, Order Status I get a plethora of notices.

First of many (when selecting Products):

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /usr/www/users/bill/_mp/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 506

Is it possible that this plugin will only function with define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false)? Please tell me that’s not true, what am I missing here?

Here is the test site I just created http://mp.srvr.net/

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Bill,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Sorry about the issues you are facing. I just tested this on my lab site and it does not show any error messages.

I will need to have a closer look at your site with more details.

Can you please send me your login details via our secure contact form

1: Mark the email to my attention

Attn: PC

2: Include a link of this thread in the email

3: Include FTP, cPanel and WordPress super admin details.

4: While filling the form, select “I have a different question” from the list.

Looking forward for a response on this.

Cheers, PC

• Bill
    • New Recruit

Bump…

@pc – On 03/18 you wrote: “I just tested this on my lab site and it does not show any error messages.” Does your test site wp-config contain define(‘WP_DEBUG’, true) ? Are you confusing “error” messages with my report of “e_notices”? Do you not see e_notices?

@anyone – Is it possible for the MarketPress Pro plugin to operate in a define(‘WP_DEBUG’, true) environment without throwing warnings and notices?

My customer is anxious for a status report. I need to tell him what direction we are going so he can create an import file. If MP Pro can’t work without define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false) I have to quickly choose a different solution.

Please let me know. Thanks

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Bill,

Sorry for missing your last response here.

Notices are something which appear due to a lot of reasons and do not impact your site performance in any ways.

I notice can be generated by any plugin and its not necessary that MarketPress is causing all those notices.

DEBUG is set to true when the site is being developed so that if you encounter any conflicts, it can easily be fixed and it should not be set to true on a live site.

I have however sent a note to our lead developer @jonathan so that he can put some more light on this one.

He should be around soon.

Cheers, PC

• Jonathan
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey Bill,

Yes, there are some notices that display in MarketPress 2.9 and we apologize for that – I know it can be frustrating when you’re doing your own debugging!

With that being said, we’re currently developing MarketPress 3.0 which is undergoing a huge code rewrite and fixes all of these notices. That’s why we haven’t spent the time to fix up the notices in 2.9 as they can easily be hidden with WP_DEBUG set to false.

Hope that helps and thanks for being a member!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.