Piwik integration and per blog stats

I saw this https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/a-closer-look-at-using-piwik-with-wordpress-the-open-source-alternative-to-google-analytics/ where edublogs has a modified version of the plug-in.

What are the modifications, and would they be of use to us members of WPMU Dev?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ROIBOT,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

Yes Piwik could certainly be used as an alternative to Google Analytics though when I tried to personally install it sometime ago on our servers I found that it was a tough cookie to get installed and very specific on its needs. In addition, it will of course use server resources.

Personally I preferred a much simpler approach that uses the information already provided by the server for tracking called LBAK User Tracking and though it is somewhat dated as coding goes, to this day it works great on my WordPress 3.4.1 installations.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Update: I had not considered using the Piwik Servers themselves for tracking because in my mind it was still using an outside source that could potentially use the data against us and/or use bandwidth and possibly slow things down as the response/data exchange from there servers is anticipated.

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

when I tried to personally install it sometime ago on our servers I found that it was a tough cookie to get installed and very specific on its needs. In addition, it will of course use server resources.

My experience was the opposite. I found installing as simple as installing WordPress, – download set a up a database and login, about 3 minutes effort. Maybe they have improved things over the years

I agree it would use server resources, but my experience is that it doesn’t use very much.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ROIBOT,

Thank you for your additional input and feedback, it is certainly appreciated.

That is a big 10/4 that it could have changed drastically even in a year, especially when considering that the net moves just a hair slower then the speed of light :slight_smile:

Regarding server expense or resources it could/would also be the same considering the way all technology appears to be moving.

Thank you again for your input!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.