Place a "DOWNLOAD" button on each of my product pages that is gated by membership?

I am looking to place a "DOWNLOAD" button on each of my product pages that is gated by membership status. I am gathering this can be done by gating a shortcode.

However, I can find little documentation on the complete set of shortcodes, or how to embed any like this.

Also, IDEALLY I'd like this URL to be masked and hosted externally (these files can be pretty large, and I anticipate having a large load from customers). Does this file download have to be hosted at my own domain?

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Harry, welcome to the WPMU DEV Community, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

I am looking to place a "DOWNLOAD" button on each of my product pages that is gated by membership status

What are you planning to use to provide the download button?

Also, IDEALLY I'd like this URL to be masked and hosted externally (these files can be pretty large, and I anticipate having a large load from customers).

Having it be masked may be a trick when hosting externally, but who would you be planning on hosting these files with?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Harry

What am I planning to use to provide the download button?

Magic and or HTML/CSS. Or perhaps a 3rd party plugin that will place a download button from a shortcode, which I have already.

Having it be masked may be a trick when hosting externally, but who would you be planning on hosting these files with?

Currently, I have all of my files hosted via Amazon S3.

I guess I would be looking for the file that would normally be downloaded after purchase be on the product page.

OR, an alternative to this would be a button that would be some sort of "Add to My Collection" and then they could browse from a personal account page.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Harry,

Hope you're doing well today and I apologize for the delay on this.

When you create you memberships and go to Protect Content > Memberships you will see the shortcode for the each membership you have created.
    So lets say you have a shortcode like this [ms-protect-content id="298"] and a button shortcode like this [download-button], what you need to do is wrap protected content shortcode around the button shortcode and it will only be available for members with that access, your content should look like this:
    [ms-protect-content id="298"][download-button][/ms-protect-content]

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Harry

What I ended up using was Pretty Link Pro, which does a great job at masking source URLs. Media Vault was close, but it doesn't seem to support larger ZIP files.

So, I have a simple "download button shortcode" plugin that allows me to use the cloaked URL from Pretty Link. Then I can use Protected Content to gate that shortcode for members. This also allows me to use Amazon S3 links (assuming the links are set to 'public'), as the true download link is never made visible.

HOORAY! I am getting somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.