Please choose a site to Upgrade or Modify: ??

At the bottom of my site (when I'm logged in), it says:

Please choose a site to Upgrade or Modify:
• Modify "MySite" (http://mysite.com) - Not MySite

"Not MySite"? I don't understand what that's supposed to mean. Can this wording/placement be reset somewhere?

Holy cow, clicking THAT link actually takes me to this page:

http://mysite.com/?bid=1

This is the payment page that I've been trying to find, with the payment grid. But it's got all sorts of weird info on it like:

• Level:
• Expire Date: January 1, 1970

???

At the bottom is an enormous PayPal button.

Sheesh, how hard can this be???

• aecnu

Greetings ProSapien,

You've definitely got something strange going on there though I do not know if it is the theme or what is causing the giant PayPal image.

I have tested this on our production web site and included an attached image which is equivalent to yours but obviously of the right proportion.

Please test with a different theme to see if you get a different reaction because I cannot reproduce this.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• ProSapien

Can you also please address the other issues?

(1) What is the 1970 thing and the Labels with nothing after it about?

(2) What is the "Not mysite" supposed to mean?

(3) This link appears outside the footer. Either in the #page or #container. I want to remove it from that spot (where it can't be seen), reword it (so it makes sense), and put it somewhere reasonable. Then I want to link to a page that doesn't have all the meaningless, confusing info mentioned above.

(4) Why doesn't the grid on this page show up when people are signing up? On this page I asked how people are supposed to figure out how to sign up. This grid with pricing does NOT show up following any of the steps I was given.

I was told people should signup for site by going here:

http://sitename.com/wp-signup.php?prosites=1

But this path never gets them to the pricing grid (that I can see).

What I need is a simply sign up page that JUST has the pricing grid and an obvious way to pay.

Help?

• ProSapien

Another strange thing:

The area that says "• Modify "MySite" (http://mysite.com) - Not MySite" if I'm logged in says this when I'm logged out in SOME THEMES:

~ Join mysite Network - tagline

The tagline is a link that reloads the homepage.

In OTHER themes that are (when logged out) says:

You must first login before you can choose a site to upgrade:

Username [field]
    Password [field]
    [checkbox] remember me
    Login

???

• Kimberly

ProSapien,

This is the payment page that I've been trying to find, with the payment grid. But it's got all sorts of weird info on it like:

• Level:
    • Expire Date: January 1, 1970

The reason that date would be returned would be that the row for that blog_id is missing in the table. As far as how/why it's missing I have no idea. Manually extending then revoking is a quick way to get that db entry back.

Best,

Kimberly

• ProSapien

Issue #3:

When I click on the "Modify PopCred" link that appears two comments up, I go to this page:

http://popcred.net/?bid=1

The title of the page is now:

Get your own blog and join the PopCred Network…: PopCred (popcred.net)

If I click the [EDIT} button to edit the page, it goes to the static page that serves as the home page, even though the page I'm seeing is modified from the home page.

Right below the title is the image below. 1970? What does this mean? And how will my customers use this information?

• ProSapien

Issue #4:

On the same page, below the "Your subscription information" space, the level selection grid appears (attached).

This path is the only way I can see to get to this grid. In other words, people must have an account AND be signed in just to get to the grid where they can select the package they are signing up for.

I don't have free blogs, so there is no "site to modify or upgrade" until AFTER they have selected a package to create the site around.

I am setting up pages to describe the available plans, but I need a way to send customer TO THIS GRID -- without having an account and without having the nonsensical expiry date -- BEFORE they sign up.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help.

• Kimberly

ProSapien,

I will try to help you sort through everything, but for now I will tell you from a customer's perspective what is seen on your site.
    I went ahead and signed up as a user.

I clicked "Create My Blog" and received a screen telling me to check my email for my password and username.

logged in to the dashboard. This is where, if pro sites was enabled, I would see the upgrade option on the left, as a dashboard menu option. Clicking that would give me the signup grid. I've attached screenshots.

I am assuming you are working on your site offline as I found your theme to say it was still running Thesis. Not sure if that's just not updated yet or what, I am noting because I'm sure that would change a couple things that I saw stylistically for sure.

I'll be back to address your other issues in more detail, until then...

Kimberly

• ProSapien

I clicked "Create My Blog" and received a screen telling me to check my email for my password and username.

Yes, I've tested that part. I posted about it before here, but didn't really get an answer.

This is where, if pro sites was enabled, I would see the upgrade option on the left, as a dashboard menu option. Clicking that would give me the signup grid.

In order for anyone to register a site you will have to enable that capability on your Network Admin under Settings> Network Settings

When you say I need to enable Pro Sites, are you referring to the Settings>Network Settings item that you refer to in the next comment?

If so, I have "both sites and user accounts can be registered" selected. (Image enclosed.) Still, a new user ONLY has access to the same two options I referred to in the other thread: (1) Dashboard and (2) Profile. There is no option to upgrade. (Image enclosed.) I also tested it with "user accounts may be registered" and "logged in users may register new sites." None of those options showed a third upgrade option in the sidebar.

If not, what other setting needs to be changed?

I am assuming you are working on your site offline as I found your theme to say it was still running Thesis.

First, I am running Thesis again. When ArnoldB fixed the sidebar issue, he activated Thesis 1.8.3 successfully and the cache limiter and cookie errors went away.

Second, that link in the footer isn't a built-in theme link, it's an affiliate link I put in the footer.

Thanks for your help. Hope to get these all resolved.

I've attached screenshots.

I am assuming you are working on your site offline as I found your theme to say it was still running Thesis. Not sure if that's just not updated yet or what, I am noting because I'm sure that would change a couple things that I saw stylistically for sure.
    I'll be back to address your other issues in more detail, until then...

• Kimberly

Your users will sign up on your sign-up page. This isn't so much a Plugin function as it is a wordpress function. Signup is the same. Everything you have shown looks great for that.

As far as enabling settings for Pro Sites: There are no more settings, you should have everything set up. The user won't see the Pro Sites options on the dashboard when signing into their site, they will see it upon signing into their site, the site they create.

STEP ONE: User registers
    STEP TWO: User creates site
    STEP THREE: user logs into their site and then then will have the Pro Site option on their Dashboard.

If you enable the pay to blog module then your user will see a link that says they must pay to use their blog. Once they click that link they will be taken to the payment grid.

Allow new registrations

Image of registration options Determines who can create new usernames or blogs.

Your options are:

1. Disabled – all usernames and blogs must be created by site admin user
    2. Enabled. Blogs and user accounts can be created – anyone can create blogs using your signup page (e.g. http://edutags.net/wp-signup.php).
    3. Only user account can be created – anyone can create a username but all blogs must be created by the site admin user
    4. Only logged in users can create new blogs – Users can create new blogs using your signup page but all usernames must be created by site admin user

Image of signup page TIP:

If you enable users to create their own blogs and user accounts via a signup page you might want to Limited Email Registrations to specific domains to restrict who can signup.

• Kimberly

When I am logged into WordPress on my money blog site, the image below appears on the bottom of my screen.

Is it clickable? it may be an option to log out, as in "are you not popcred? then logout"

I'm not sure what a money blog site is, I think something is getting lost in terminology

When I'm not logged in, the image below appears instead of the one above. When I put in my WP name and password, it logs me into MY money blog site.

When someone ELSE logs in there, what does it do?

it logs them into your site.
    they will need to login to their site @ usersite.popcred.net/wp-admin
    This link will be given to them in the email when they sign up
    They will see the same thing I did when logging in

Right below the title is the image below. 1970? What does this mean? And how will my customers use this information?

The reason that date would be returned would be that the row for that blog_id is missing in the table. As far as how/why it's missing I have no idea. Manually extending then revoking is a quick way to get that db entry back.

Your users will see their relevant info.

I am setting up pages to describe the available plans, but I need a way to send customer TO THIS GRID -- without having an account and without having the nonsensical expiry date -- BEFORE they sign up.

Does that make sense?

WPMU has a plugin that allows you to bypass the email confirmation portion of signup, this can help expedite the signup process. Since your users will need to have a site before you can apply any rules to that site (via their chosen subscription plan) there is no way you can bypass creating the site to straight go to the payment selection grid.

Issue #5:

When I select a level and click on "Checkout with PayPal" the page simply reloads.

Have you verified that you are in Live mode and that you have input all of the correct API information? You will also need to enable the shopping cart.

Okay, I think we have touched on them all.

For what it's worth, I think that alot of the wp plugin world (not just wpmu, but most all plugin providers) assume that you can connect the dots without much hand-holding. I struggled alot myself when I first started because of this, and still do at time. I know that WPMU has recognized this and is working on an overhaul of it's plugin instruction and site usage to help cover the gap between what wordpress provides and what we provide. They have recently taken on new help (that's me!) to help give the senior staffers and developers time to address the need of documentation on the site.

Thank You for your patience! and for being a WPMU member

• ProSapien

KimberlyL, thanks for responding.

STEP TWO: User creates site

OK, HOW do they create a site?

As a new user in the dashboard, I have TWO choices:

Dashboard

What steps does a new user take to create a site? How would they know how to do this?

I don't understand what the italicized portion came from or what it refers to. Did you intend to put some images in there?

I found a related address:

http://popcred.net/wp-signup.php

Where is this linked from in the site?

I went to this link while logged in with a NEW user who has NO sites. This can't be the site signup link, because it has this text:

Get another PopCred Network site in seconds
    Welcome back, testmany. By filling out the form below, you can add another site to your account. There is no limit to the number of sites you can have, so create to your heart’s content, but write responsibly!
    Sites you are already a member of:
    http://popcred.net
    If you’re not going to use a great site domain, leave it for a new user. Now have at it!

This implies that my new user already HAS a site. But it lists the CORE site. ???

At the bottom of this screen it says:

PopCred
    I'm Interested Not Now

Once again, I'm asking what that means?

Oh, sheesh. Running in complete circles. Used that form to create a test site. A page loads with this info:

The site Test site is yours.
    http://test.popcred.net/ is your new site. Log in as “testmany” using your existing password.

Um, guess what. Click on the link and there is NO SITE. I just get a Mac OS X server page.

Seriously, I have NO IDEA how this is supposed to work. I've blogged for NINE YEARS and created sites since 1994. It's not about "hand-holding," it's about design and testing.

• ProSapien

More nonsensical stuff:

After doing the above, I went back to the popcred.net home page -- still logged in as the new user with the site that doesn't really exist. At the bottom of the page, it says this:

Please choose a site to Upgrade or Modify:

Upgrade "Test site" (http://test.popcred.net) - Not PopCred

(Again, what the heck does "not popcred" mean? No, it's NOT a link.)

I click on the "Upgrade 'Test site'" link and then I go to ANOTHER VERSION OF THE HOME PAGE.

This one has the title changed to:

Get your own blog and join the PopCred Network…: Test site (test.popcred.net)

Then, UNDER ALL THE REGULAR HOME PAGE CONTENT, below the fold, there is a payment level grid.

If anyone actually knew to login, go back to the home page, click on that link, and SCROLL DOWN below the fold, they MIGHT find that grid.

Please, can I have someone actually go to my site and try to go through this process to see how convoluted it is???! How in the world is a NEW USER supposed to navigate this?