Please clarify how to configure Membership Renewals. NOT Auto-renewals

I am looking for clarification on how to configure my membership site to allow people to renew their membership 30 days before their 1-year membership expires. Please note, I do NOT want it to auto renew.

So far I have setup the following:
1. The subscription is a Serial subscription for one year.
2. The Membership--> Options--> Extras--> Membership Renewal section is set to 30 Days
3. I am using the PayPal Sandbox Single Payments Gateway.

When I log in as a test user and go to the "Subscriptions page", I see my subscription is set to expire one year in the future and I do not see the Renewal button. I assume that will appear 30 Days before the subscription actually expires. My question is will this Automatically Renew?

The description for "Serial" subscriptions is a little confusing and I looking for confirmation that my configuration will NOT auto renew.

Alexander

Hi @rianhall,

Auto-renewals would require using the PayPal express gateway. With the single payments gateway, auto renewals are not possible, so you will have a renewal button available 30 days before it expires. If you're on the single payments gateway then you're all set!

For non-auto renewing setups like yours, you can also setup a message under "Communications" to remind them to renew their subscription. This can even contain a link to their account page.

Best regards,

rianhall

Thanks for the info. I am still seeing something odd.
    I have setup the following Test subscription:

1. Mode: Serial
    2. Period: 3 days (this is just so I can test it)
    3. The Membership--> Options--> Extras--> Membership Renewal Period is set to 1 Days
    4. The Membership--> Options--> Extras--> Membership Upgrades are set to 0 Days
    5. I have an email setup via the Communication setting being sent out right after the register welcoming them.
    6. I have an email setup via the Communication setting being sent out 1 day before the subscription expires warning them they are about to lose access.
    7. I have a paypal sandbox setup with one time payments configured.

I realize this is an unrealistic configuration, but I am trying to make it do the following:
    1. I have public and Members only sections to my site.
    2. EVERYONE have access to the public sections.
    3. When I user registers they receive a Welcome email.
    4. Users are then granted access to the Members only parts of the site.
    5. Users then receive a reminder email 1 day before their subscription expires
    6. Users are able to manually renew their subscription, via their personal account page, 1 day before their subscription expires
    7. If a user does nothing, then they lose access to a Member's only section of the website and only can see the generic Public pages.

I am not seeing this.
    Everything is working flawlessly except for step 7. None of my members are losing access to the Members only section. They are still listed in the All Members section of the plugin as "Active" even though they clearly have an expired date prior to the current date. The only way I have been able to force the members to expire properly is if I use a "Finite" mode instead of "Serial." Unfortunately, the "Finite" mode does not allow me to let users renew a membership. Have I found a bug or am I just not configuring thing properly?

Alexander

Hi @rianhall,

I'm very sorry about the delay here. What you've described shouldn't be the case. Members should automatically be dropped from their access level if their subscription expires. With what you've described, I would expect it to work just like you're saying as well. There might be some configuration issue, but I'm not sure what's missing here.

I do have one thought on this. For the initial signup, are you using the "Use subscription" option from "Membership -> Options -> General" ? If so, this could be part of the issue - my understanding is that this subscription is assigned permanently. In this case, you would need to require members to use the "sign up" page to add the first subscription.

If this isn't the case, would you mind allowing me to log into your site to take a look? You can send membership admin credentials through our contact form if this is ok: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    - Choose "I have a different question"
    - Include my name in the subject "Alexander Rohmann"
    - Include a link back to this thread
    - Include any relevant login information

Best regards,

Alexander

Hi @rianhall,

I was able to figure this out. The renewal period had somehow been set to 1 day instead of 30. This means it wouldn't show a renewal option until the very last day. Now there should be a 30 day grace period. This is changed on the "extras" tab of Membership settings. Thanks for bearing with me! I'm really sorry this has taken so long to workout.

Best regards,

rianhall

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, showing the renewal option is not the issue I am having. The problem I am seeing is the user is still being granted access to the Member's only section even if they NEVER renew. I currently have the settings configured so their subscription should last only 3 days and the renewal option appears 1 day before it expires.

When I register someone and leave them alone for 5 days, I should not be allowed access to the Members Only parts of the website. Instead it is letting me see everything even though my subscription has technically expired.

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @rianhall

I hope you are well today, Sorry about the delay here.

I've had a read of your posts and this

I currently have the settings configured so their subscription should last only 3 days and the renewal option appears 1 day before it expires.

Sounds correct, but it's important your not using the serial subscription and instead are using Finite, could you confirm which one your using?

Then in membership > options, make sure you don't have the visitor level as the setting you want to protect.

And the box underneath that should be none, could you confirm this is all set as described?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

rianhall

Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell I have the Membership options set as you have described. However, I was told in the inital post that I should be using the Serial setting instead of the finite setting.

Basically what I am trying to do is this:
    1. I have Public and Members only sections to my site.
    2. EVERYONE have access to the public sections.
    3. When I user registers they receive a Welcome email.
    4. User is then granted 1 year access to the Members only parts of the site.
    5. User then receives a reminder email 30 days before their subscription expires
    6. Users are able to manually renew their subscription, via their personal account page, up to 30 days before their subscription expires
    7. If a user does nothing, then they automatically lose access to a Member's only section of the website and only can see the generic Public pages.

What I am seeing:
    1. If I setup the subscription to "finite" with a single payment gateway then the user is never presented with an option to renew their subscription. They have to wait until their membership expires completely before they can purchase another subscription.
    2. If I set up the subscription to "serial" with a single payment gateway, the user is presented with the renew option and that seems to work if they renew. However, they are still being granted access to protected content even if they do not renew defeating the purpose of renewing.

My question is how can I get users to be allowed to manually renew a 1 year subscription 30 days before it expires while at the same time letting their subscription expire if they do nothing?

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @rianhall

I hope you are well today and thank you for the additional information.

Your users on the serial subscriptions shouldn't be getting to access to the premium area unless they're membership has renewed.

Serial subscriptions are always recurring subscriptions automatically, with Finite though with single payments you are correct, it won't allow a renewal until the current subscription has expired.

This should work from my tests, set it to finite, 1 year, then go into membership > options > extras and set renewal limit at 30 days, this should then allow them to upgrade 30 days before they expire.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack