Please Explain Simple Sitemap for Multisite

I have installed Simple Sitemap for Multisite, added code to .htacess and wp-config files as per usage instructions, but I don’t know how this works.

You say: “You can check that your sitemaps have been created by going to: blog.domain.tld/sitemap.xml.” I have tried several variations of this URL to suit my site but get a ‘page not found’ for all of them.

When I go into my FTP I find my old sitemap.xml there which doesn’t include the pages in my sub-domains, which is why I installed this plugin.

Where do I find the sitemap that has been created using FTP?

Does it include my sub-domains?

Can I edit it?

Thank you.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Mary , I hope you are doing well today!

Would you please make sure that the sitemap.php file is moved from /wp-content/plugins/simple-sitemaps/ to /wp-content/ folder.

When I tried to call the sitemap.php from yoursite.com/wp-content/sitemap.php, I got 500 Error.

The 500 errors it’s very general, and doesn’t give us much information. My first thought is corrupted .htaccess file.

Make sure that the line that you added in the .htaccess is below the following rules

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

And above these rules:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

The order where you place it is very important.

If you can’t find some of the rules, it is ok, just skip them.

If you need assistance with your .htaccess file, please send your credentials to me so I can have a look at it.

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form http://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Subject: “Attn: Nastia”

– WordPress admin username

– WordPress admin password

– Login url

– FTP credentials (host/username/password)

– Link back to this thread for reference

– Any other relevant urls

Select “I have a different question” for your topic – this and the subject line to ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Kind Regards,

Nastia

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi Mary,

Hope you are doing good today!

It should create the sitemap for each of your site on your network but please bear in mind that it will not merge all the posts/pages in one sitemap.

For example, for your main site the sitemap locations is this.

https://christiangays.com/mary-content/sitemap.php

For dating:

https://dating.christiangays.com/mary-content/sitemap.php

For chat:

https://chat.christiangays.com/mary-content/sitemap.php

In same format you can find the sitemap for each site on your network.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,

Sajid

• Mary
    • Wisp of the WP Loop

Thank you Sajid. I am making progress and I believe that all sitemaps are loaded to each sub-domain, however there is no .xml file.

I need the .xml files to be able to edit them – there are some pages I don’t want indexed, and also I don’t know how to upload these .php files to Google and Bing.

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi Mary,

Hope you are doing good today!

It basically generates a .xml file dynamically, so google and other search engines can read that without as it is reading .xml file with no issues at all.

Also, its submitted to all search engines automatically, you don’t need to do that yourself.

Regarding excluding some pages, I am afraid there is no way to exclude some page or posts from .xml file at the moment.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,

Sajid

• Mary
    • Wisp of the WP Loop

Nastia suggested SmartCrawl. I am now using it and it is so much better! I can choose which pages are indexed and followed and which ones are not. I can find the sitemap.xml sitemaps for each, etc. For my purposes SmartCrawl is a much better plugin than Simple Sitemap for Multisite.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.