Please help me speed up my site.

I am running a wordpress multisite for our company. blogchrysalis.com The main blog is open to the public but the "House Blogs" are only open to members for privacy reasons. The blogs are being hosted at bluehost.

I have repaired the tables etc. and the speed did improve some but within a week or so I am running slowly again. Is this a bluehost issue? A tables issue? A I am not running the correct plugins issue? Or like most things an all of the above issue? :wink:

Would somebody give me some advice to get my site running fast and smooth. I would appreciate it. Even the wp-admin area runs slowly so I am thinking it is not a theme issue per se.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have thought about gzip etc but I read conflicting reports about which is best etc.

Thanks in advance for your time!

• wpcdn

It's hard to know exactly without more facts.

First, shared hosting can often slow down if too many clients are put on a server. I don't know how many people your host puts on a server, so I can't say if that's the cause here.

No matter what, you might want to find a host specializing in WordPress (tuned especially for it, using a PHP opcode cache, etc.).

What kind of traffic are you doing?

Mark

• Tracy

First step, get off shared servers, which are probably the biggest issue....you will generally get what you pay for when it comes to servers. I would say get on a VPS, if not a dedicated box depending on budget, install a plugin to or manually optimize database on a regular basis and use the caching plugin drmike suggested or http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/w3-total-cache/ .... caching will help quite a bit but can only do so much if you're on shared / slow / resource deficient servers .....

• wpcdn

To clarify, not all shared hosting is bad. For example, we offer very high-performance shared hosting. (I'm not trying to sell you our hosting, but trying to point out that high-performance shared hosting is indeed available, and shared hosting is fine for many sites' needs.)

However, depending on the size of your installation (especially being multisite), Mike and Tracy are both right. A VPS or dedicated server would serve you quite well if the budget allows. If you're not experienced at running a server, managed VPSs and dedicated boxes are available.

Your site is indeed far slower than it should be. The theme you're using has no performance issues that we're aware of. Are you using an unusually high number of plugins?

Mark

• Shane7

I learned alot from this site and others about speeding up wordpress. wordpress sites seem to load slower than normal sites anyway, but here are the compiled tips Ive put together for myself which i do on every site now. and definately notice a difference. But I too, will be moving to VPS soon. But these tips do improve performance. and are pretty simple to do.

- Use Firefox, and then get firebug addon & Use Firebugs ‘NET’ feature to determine which files or scripts are taking a long time to load. (Ive noticed a few calls to images that didnt exist on my own sites). Firebug NET will show you which files these are so you can go into the page and remove the call to’s.
    - Cache – Set up a cache plugin so that a cache page is shown to site visitors instead of the page actually calling all of those php and scripts each time. WP-Super cache – install this on blogs.
    - Change header and footer calls. Hard code php requests. example.replace the top php request with:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><br />
    	<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

and then go throughout header file and replace the blog php requests with the actual blog site, and blog name... etc

<?php echo home_url( '/' ); ?>  =    http://YourSite.com/<br />
    		<?php bloginfo( 'name' ); ?>   =     yourSite name

- Replace the pingback url (You can find out what yours is by just viewing the source page in the browser). I mean replace it with an absolute link instead of the php query
    - Delete Wordpress version.
    - Combine CSS files into one file. Then use firebug NET again to make sure you removed all calls to the old CSS files.

• wpcdn

richslack,

To be honest, even without some of the things suggested in this thread, there is something wrong. Even without those suggestions, you should still be getting much better performance than you are. For example, your "About" page loads extremely slowly.

Something is wrong, either with your setup or with the hosting provider in general. (Not saying that the particular host is bad in general, just saying that something is badly wrong in the case of your site.)

As a point of reference, can you create a new WordPress installation with network enabled, using the same theme and an import of your content (without adding all the plugins)? If a fresh install works beautifully, then you can add plugins one-by-one and see if one might be the culprit. But, if a fresh install is also very slow without plugins added yet, thats a sign of a more global issue.

Mark

• richslack

Thank you for all your comments! Last night I received 10 e-mails with the following warnings:
    WordPress memory usage exceeded 128 MB
    WordPress peak memory usage: 139.57 MB
    Number of database queries: 55

I am not using caching yet but would love to. I heard differing opinions on which caching tool was best and so I held off not wanting to add unnecessary or extra plugins that might hurt the site. Thank you for the recommendation of which caching tool to use.

I am talking to our in house IT department to see if we can host it ourselves (we host our main website ourselves http://www.gochrysalis.com).

Running Wordpress 3.0.4
    As far as plugins that are currently installed I have tried to keep it to a minimum. I am currently using:
    Akismet Version 2.5.1
    Capability Manager Version 1.3.2
    Cookies for Comments Version 0.5.2
    Feedburner FeedSmith Version 2.3.1
    Page Links To Version 2.4
    TPC! Memory Usage Version 0.9
    WP Hide Categories Version 1.0

WPMU Plugins Include
    Admin Message 1.1.0
    Blog Activity 1.1.2
    Content Monitor 1.2.1 (just noticed there is an update)
    New Blog Template 1.2
    Rebranded Meta Widget 1.0.1 (will update)
    Reports 1.0.3
    Update Notifications 2.0.1

IT doesn't seem like a lot of plugins until you start listing them all out. . . :slight_smile:

And I just noticed the WPMU update opens in a new tab instead of in the existing window, that is a great change!

Thanks again for all your help!

• drmike

Number of database queries: 55

That's high. What that's telling you is the software is having to go back to the mysql database 55 times just to create a single page. Think how much quicker and easier things would be if you divided that in half.

I heard differing opinions on which caching tool was best

Either one would do. The Total Cache will give you a better return but it's harder to setup which is why folks still like Donncha's wp-super-cache.

Akismet Version 2.5.1
    Cookies for Comments Version 0.5.2

You don't really need two antispam plugins. Also a friendly reminder that Akismet is a pay plugin for wpmu/ms installs. You may want to consider using Typepad's version which is free for wpmu/ms installs.

http://antispam.typepad.com

You may want to drop in the anti-callback plugin as well. You may be wasting cycles waiting for your install to call out and wait for wp.org to respond:

http://snipt.net/cafespain/remove-remotes-plus-nag

• exberry

I have the same problem. I did not have this "slow" problem before I upgraded to WP 3.04 but, of course, that does not prove 3.04 is the cause.

Similar to RichSlack, my site is slow even in the wp-admin area when simply trying to bring up a menu display. I mean like 30 seconds to show the pages menu, or to update a simple edit, etc.

To attempt to solve this problem, my host techs used some software to "compress" the database, but this did not help. We tested this during periods of virtually no traffic, so traffic is not the problem. Therefore, being on a shared server is not the problem. The tech said my site was "throttling"
    whatever that means.

I assume this eliminates such things as traffic, host, theme, plugins, site images, etc.

I have not yet tried Firebug NET but I will do it soon. But the question remains: what can possibly cause my site admin to dramatically slow down in the past few days?

Thanks,

Ed

• drmike

exberry, are you using any sort of caching? I;m wondering if the upgrade is causing any sort of misfiring.

What specific browser and OS combo are you using?

And I;m sure I don;t have to ask but have you looked at your webserver's error logs?

To attempt to solve this problem, my host techs used some software to "compress" the database, but this did not help

Probably an optimize on the database as it compresses out the wasted space.

What's the status of Gears? Last I knew, it was actually being removed. Is that still happening? (edit: Looks like it's already happened. Never mind.)

edit: Have you upgraded the database? http://wordpress.org/support/topic/304-very-slow-admin Last post.

• exberry

@drmike, Thanks very much. I will check your suggestions next.

Meanwhile, I installed Firebug and got some stats on the time to delete an empty page I just created. The images attached show the Firebug NET results for the processes that absorbed all the time, for a total of 55 seconds for 4 of the requests.

I am not sure what the Firebug is telling me, so I will appreciate any interpretations.

Ed

• drmike

Ouch :slight_frown:

<!-- Generated in 4.507 seconds. -->

I did notice this in your outputted html:

http://edberry.com/freedomglow/wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.js?ver=1.4.2

Are you running your wp/wpmu/ms install within a directory under root? That's been an issue in the past, although it's usually been with broken links returning 404s, not speed. I;m just wondering if this is part of that....

edit: And give some thought about caching.....

• exberry

@drmike,

I am not using caching because I think I have a fundamental problem to solve before I add caching.
    My workstation uses VistaPro 64 with FireFox latest browser.

Actually, it was good you asked me about error logs. I attached the Main error_log for today. There are associated PHP error_logs I did not attach. The PHP error logs began on Jan 7, which is when I did the wp 3.04 upgrade.

Next, I will check your last two suggestions.

Thanks,
    Ed

• exberry

@drmike,

To answer your last question, my 3 wp directories are under my public_html.

Among my 12 multi-sites is freedomglow, which is a normal WP site using 20-10 theme. This is where I have been conducting the tests I have reported. The same problem, however, exists on all my sites including the master site.

I have Domain Manager installed such that edberry.com/freedomglow/ --> freedomglow.com

Thanks,
    Ed

• exberry

@drmike, I am using the latest MySQL 5.1.47.

I am thinking the best clue to the source of the problem is in the error logs. I understand the query problems in the error logs but I do not know what to do to fix these errors ... without risking destroying my database.

My host's tech said the database has a lot of extra files in the database, compared to what he usually sees in a WP file.

The principal recurring error is the following:

[Mon Jan 10 11:50:40 2011] [error] [client 122.200.1.134] WordPress database error You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LIMIT 1' at line 1 for query SELECT user_status FROM vt_users WHERE id = LIMIT 1 made by product_display_default, referer: http://www.google.co.id/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CE8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.modelkeren.com%2Fproduct.php%3Fcategory%3D25&rct=j&q=burberry%20notebook%20skin&ei=p1QrTaLJJ4PsrQfQvenJDA&usg=AFQjCNFGiXX8NLw_Jn9mLfcUHrNTW931vA&cad=rja

The big question is: How can I fix this problem?

Thanks,

Ed

• exberry

Wow! A quick note here: I clicked on the google link above and this has nothing to do with my website. But it does give a clue to what happened.

Yesterday, I discovered a "user" that was adding lots of advertising files of a similar nature to the one above. I deleted all the files under the username and then deleted the user. (which was going to lead to a separate thread question about how to find and prevent such users.) By the way, I am using BuddyPress.

Does this suggest a way I can find unwanted entries in my database and cure this problem?

Ed

• exberry

Wow! A quick note here: I clicked on the google link above and this has nothing to do with my website. But it does give a clue to what happened.

Yesterday, I discovered a "user" that was adding lots of advertising files of a similar nature to the one above. I deleted all the files under the username and then deleted the user. (which was going to lead to a separate thread question about how to find and prevent such users.) By the way, I am using BuddyPress.

Does this suggest a way I can find unwanted entries in my database and cure this problem?

Ed

• exberry

Any suggestions how I eliminate "referers"?

Here are some of the main errors I have to "referers" that are plants in my database:

[Mon Jan 10 16:03:59 2011] [error] [client 72.173.160.50] Request
    exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable
    configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit
    if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace., referer:
    http://www.dopenewhouse.com/?s=rb

[Mon Jan 10 16:03:59 2011] [error] [client 72.173.160.50] Request
    if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace., referer:
    http://www.dopenewhouse.com/?s=rb

[Mon Jan 10 16:04:04 2011] [error] [client 66.147.240.176] File does not
    exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/wp-app.php

[Mon Jan 10 16:04:05 2011] [error] [client 66.147.240.176] File does not
    exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/wp-app.php

[Mon Jan 10 16:04:13 2011] [error] [client 66.249.71.143] Request
    if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.

[Mon Jan 10 16:04:13 2011] [error] [client 66.249.71.143] Request
    if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.