Please help me to understand how WPMUDEV is organized

Hi everyone,

I have difficulties with understanding what various sw is used for.

I am not a WP beginner, but I am not an expert either.

However, in this case I do not understand how to pick a theme or plugin. For instance why for "Business Services", in the description is also mentioned "BuddyPress". What is the link between the two. Is seems like BuddyPress is kind of "parent", but how and in what respect.

So, I think it would be useful to have kind of a "tree" structure on the site, to understand the connections between different "SWs" and how they interact with each other.

Also, I do not understand what is 133 Theme Farm Pack. How can I use it?

Thank you!

Madalin

• PC

Hello Madalin,

Greetings and thanks for your post and for being a WPMU DEV member.

However, in this case I do not understand how to pick a theme or plugin. For instance why for "Business Services", in the description is also mentioned "BuddyPress". What is the link between the two. Is seems like BuddyPress is kind of "parent", but how and in what respect.

BuddyPress indicates that the theme is also compatible with BuddyPress. So you can use it with BuddyPress without any customization and it will work well.

So, I think it would be useful to have kind of a "tree" structure on the site, to understand the connections between different "SWs" and how they interact with each other.

Well, every project has a usage page and if one plugin needs some other plugin to work, it will be mentioned on the usage page :slight_smile:

Also, I do not understand what is 133 Theme Farm Pack. How can I use it?

Farms 133 themes pack is a collection of 133 WordPress themes which you can use on your WordPress site.

Here is how to use it : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/farms-133-theme-pack/#usage

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• BorderMedia

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply. Probably I do not have enough information about all these things as I do not fully understand your answers.

Please, let me be a bit more specific: I am trying to build a site on WP, so I installed the WP and now I am trying to use Business Services Theme. However, I have difficulties with getting it to look as in the presentation picture.

By the way, are there any demo data that I can load not only for this theme but for all of them as it could be much easier for me to modify something already built than to try understanding how to and where to define various things?

Now, I see that WPMUDEV contains a lot of themes: Simple Market, Frame Market, Network, Holder Buddy Press, Business Services, Business Portfolio, etc...Are all these themes independent themes? They can be just installed and used or they require other themes as parents? Like Buddy Press for instance? What's the point with BuddyPress? What so special about it as I see it mentioned in many places?

Thank you!

Madalin

• PC

Please, let me be a bit more specific: I am trying to build a site on WP, so I installed the WP and now I am trying to use Business Services Theme. However, I have difficulties with getting it to look as in the presentation picture.

Did you configure the theme options already ? The theme does not look like the demo out of the box. All the options need to be configured from the theme options.

By the way, are there any demo data that I can load not only for this theme but for all of them as it could be much easier for me to modify something already built than to try understanding how to and where to define various things?

Unfortunately no. The demo data is not available for the theme. However if you look at the demo here : http://themetastic.com/wordpress/?wptheme=Business%20Services

You will need to edit the theme options

http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/themes.php?page=functions.php

It will allow you to set images and content for different contents.

Now, I see that WPMUDEV contains a lot of themes: Simple Market, Frame Market, Network, Holder Buddy Press, Business Services, Business Portfolio, etc...Are all these themes independent themes? They can be just installed and used or they require other themes as parents?

FrameMarket is a parent theme which contains Grid Market inside it as a child theme. Details here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/frame-market-theme/#usage

Other themes are individual themes. BuddyPress is not a theme, it's a plugin which is used to create a social network on your site. The themes mention BuddyPress as they can also be used with BuddyPress.

here is what BuddyPress is : https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/buddypress-2/

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.