Please help me understand buddypress better and how to do this!

I am trying to get my head around Buddypress to understand it better for a community website I am working on.
For reference here: http://www.closefocus.net; a photographers site.
It's not a total loss on me, I do get the basic principals but am confused in three areas of getting it going.

Q1. I don't understand the relationship between Buddypress and BBpress. Do you need both? It seems that Buddypress has its own separate forum area that is not related to BBPress. So should I use both?
I have both running at present but can't make up my mind if this is too much of a duplication.

Q2. I have this on a multisite set up but have not yet enabled networking. From what I am reading it appears that multisite is not needed really. I am confused as to if that is right and which is best, plus what added functionality multsite adds to BP.

Q3. (I suspect closely related to Q2)
If I have any chance of achieving my goal; What I would like to do for this site is make it so that each member can have their mini 3 page site -
Consisting of:
Own profile page to talk about themselves and their work with any contact info they'd like to include.
Their own blog post page
A gallery age powered by NextGen Gallery plugin.

Aside from that its all going swimmingly!!
Regards
David :slight_smile:

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David H, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

Q1. I don't understand the relationship between Buddypress and BBpress. Do you need both? It seems that Buddypress has its own separate forum area that is not related to BBPress. So should I use both?
    I have both running at present but can't make up my mind if this is too much of a duplication.

BuddyPress is more like Facebook here (where it has activity feeds, member groups, and walls to post to), whereas bbPress just creates forums for users.

From the description in Q3, it sounds like you're needing only BuddyPress here. :slight_smile:

Q2. I have this on a multisite set up but have not yet enabled networking. From what I am reading it appears that multisite is not needed really. I am confused as to if that is right and which is best, plus what added functionality multsite adds to BP.

If by having "Their own blog post page", you're interested in something like a personal Facebook wall, then BuddyPress on a single site install will work just fine.

If you're wanting them to be able to create a true blog however, then it sounds like you're going to be needing a Multisite here.

If you were to insert the BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG define into your wp-config.php, like this:

define( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true );

Then instead of each sub-site on the network having their own BuddyPress community, it'll be just one BuddyPress community, shared across all of the sub-sites.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• David H

Thanks Michael.
    From that I think that the BBpress forum isn't the same beast as on BP. So in effect, like having a FB activity type stream not a true forum,
    I got a bit confused as when I added a group it went into do I want to link it to a forum - only it was not BBpress forum. Was unsure what that was, think I misunderstood what it did.

I think that having a plain old forum is something I will keep as well for now. It might suit those who don't want to do the whole social realtime statuses and stuff.

BUT.. the multisite answer is interesting. I haven't fully taken that in yet or decided where to head with it.
    With that BP config added they would have their own blog page on a network but I would retain the one community. (Good as I never intended for each network site to have their own buddypress set up)

But leading onto Q3.
    Is there a way to define what each network site can have? Is it restricted to just a blogpage or can a set number of pages also be enabled to set up. Oh, that does sound complex!!

Does every member get a network site blogpage on joining or can there be another application?

Thanks again
    david

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David H, thanks for your patience here! :slight_smile:

Is there a way to define what each network site can have? Is it restricted to just a blogpage or can a set number of pages also be enabled to set up. Oh, that does sound complex!!

One way you can limit the amount of pages would be to use our Pro Sites plugin (that would also allow you to offer premium features for the blogs that your members would be creating).

You would need to enable the "Post/Page Quotas" module in order to adjust the limits. :slight_smile:

Does every member get a network site blogpage on joining or can there be another application?

On the registration page that BuddyPress creates, there should be a "Yes, I'd like to create a new site" box to check. If that box isn't checked while filling out the registration details, then a blog will not be created for that user.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Ash

Hello @David H

I hope you are well today.

Not sure if you can also pre-define what pages are set up and dictate the page names.

This is not possible using Pro Sites. In this case you will need New Blog Template. You need to create a template site and create some pages in there. Then the users have to be forced to use that template to create a subsite, and then they will get exact replica of that site, so the pages and posts as well :slight_smile:

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.