Please help me understand this plugin and how my users can safely use it

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions and concerns about this plugin, and the potential for abuse by my users. I'll be succinct, and just list them one at a time.

@: Within the Settings menu & Outgoing Email tab, you'll see 'for SMTP method - in "From email" you should use only emails which related with your SMTP server!'
#: This confuses me, why must the from address match emails related to my SMTP server? How would I check this? How would I add emails to be SMTP server?
#: I do not know much about mail servers. I use postfix on an apache server. I installed it within a few brief minutes with the aid of a tutorial and haven't customized it beyond that.
#: I would like my users to be able to enter "info@theirdomain.com", "stuff@sub.domain.com" (This is likely incorrect), "morestuff@theirdomain.com", or name@[gmail/yahoo/hotmail].com.

@I've hidden the Outgoing Email tab to prevent potential abuse of the cron settings. Only super-admins can see it now. With the blog-template plugin, the settings under this tab would be the same for all.
#For the "SMTP Outgoing Server" field, would there be any negatives if all sites on my network used the same smtp address? (e.g. mail.mydomain.com)

@The bounce email and uninstall tab have been hidden as well.
#Like my previous question, are there any negatives for all sites within my network to use the same email address and pop3 host?
#I'm minimizing the potential for users to destroy their own site. Is there a reason why users should be able to uninstall eNewsletters?

@Preventing abuse and informing my users of good email-marketing practices is important to me. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to monitor the activities of my users through the plugin.
#If users were to earn themselves a place in their recipient's spam box by misusing the plugin, would my smtp server be blacklisted?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @jbsv1

I hope you are well today.

All users should either have or configure their own SMTP Maill account. How are you creating the SMTP mail accounts currently?

@I've hidden the Outgoing Email tab to prevent potential abuse of the cron settings. Only super-admins can see it now. With the blog-template plugin, the settings under this tab would be the same for all.
    #For the "SMTP Outgoing Server" field, would there be any negatives if all sites on my network used the same smtp address? (e.g. mail.mydomain.com)

I can't see there would be any negative from using that, apart from your later question

@Preventing abuse and informing my users of good email-marketing practices is important to me. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to monitor the activities of my users through the plugin.
    #If users were to earn themselves a place in their recipient's spam box by misusing the plugin, would my smtp server be blacklisted?

It could happen that your mail server is blacklisted if your users abuse it and keep sending mail to people who don't want it, really it should only be sent if someone has signed up to a mailing list.

@The bounce email and uninstall tab have been hidden as well.
    #Like my previous question, are there any negatives for all sites within my network to use the same email address and pop3 host?
    #I'm minimizing the potential for users to destroy their own site. Is there a reason why users should be able to uninstall eNewsletters?

Do you mean actually use the same email address as in everyone would use say example@domain.com ?

Thanks.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• jbsv1

Hi Jack, thanks for your help.

All users should either have or configure their own SMTP Maill account. How are you creating the SMTP mail accounts currently?

I am not creating any SMTP mail accounts right now. I'm not sure how I would do that, or where I would direct my users to create their own? Can you provide me with a few resources?

It could happen that your mail server is blacklisted if your users abuse it and keep sending mail to people who don't want it, really it should only be sent if someone has signed up to a mailing list.

Ah, you're right. Users can't add random or purchased emails to their subscribers list en masse. The potential for abuse if much smaller than I originally thought. In my original post I confused the features of this plugin, with another I once used which does allow this.

Do you mean actually use the same email address as in everyone would use say example@domain.com ?

Right. Everyone would use the same email address, (example@domain.com) and pop3 host, username, and password. I only ask because I've hidden the bounce tab. Users won't be able to enter in their own values, and I'd rather not manually enter in anything on their behalf.

• jbsv1

We are using Multi-site with sub-sites. Can you please tell me if the eNewsletter plugin requires “all” of our sites have the same from email address that is entered in the SMTP outgoing server. i.e. ???@mydomain.com, as this appears to be a network level setting?
    Also, in support of this question, we are seeing the message in the general settings tab my domain.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=newsletters-settings stating “Default "from" email address when sending newsletters. You use SMTP method for sending email. Check this field!”
    We are deciding on either keeping our wpmudev subscription or canceling it and going with a new solution unless we can get the answers on how to make the enewsletter plug work for multiple sub-sites as they will each have a separate domain name mapped to each sub-site. So we really need an answer to this a.s.a.p.!

In addition, another question I have is: If we are migrating from an existing site to a new site how do we import existing subscribers to a enewsletter?
    Thank you in advance for your assistance.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @jbsv1,

Sorry for the delay with my reply, somehow I missed your reply. I do apologize about the delay

I hope you are well today.

The SMTP mail account creation would normally require a additional SMTP mail account from your host or email provider with another SMTP mail account for either the same domain or a mapped domain so you'd have another account like mail.yourdomain.com, then from that your users could create their own email address i.e user1@yourdomain.com and put in the SMTP mail settings for that server that they/you are on.

This wiki on SMTP is very good,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol

So if you are all on the same server, which of course you are being on a multisite and that server has a STMP mail account, they'd need to enter them SMTP settings for that server on every sub site, and they'd need to use an email address for that SMTP server, it can't be a random address like a hotmail, yahoo or similar, and it can't not be on the SMTP server or it won't work (that is why you are getting that message in Admin)

Not all sites should need the same from email address in the settings, as long as the email address is on the SMTP mail server it should work fine.

To import members in, you go to > enewsletter > members > Show the new member/import forms > there you choose your file (a .csv file) and upload it/import it.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.