Please help me with Upfront...

Hello,

I desperately want and need Upfront to work well for me and I can't seem to get anything to work for me. I'm a coder, and so I wonder if it's just that I don't like using site builders... I do need a decent site builder to provide my customers with though.

Anyway, spent half an hour trying to have a go again for the first time since 1.2. This is as far as I've got:

http://themachete.bedevious.co.uk/

Specific problems I'm encountering:

1. No matter what I seem to do, the title of "The Machete" is stuck at that size and I can't change that. I've tried:
- Clicking the element, clicking the settings wheel for the element, ticking the "typography" button, choosing H1, H2 etc. nothing happens...
- The same again but this time changing the "size" box to a higher number, nothing happens...
- Added custom CSS with a font-size property, nothing happens...

What am I doing wrong??

2. I've made a small number of changes in desktop mode, switch to responsive, and on tablet and mobile mode it's still the same Fixer demo, please tell me I don't have to build the site 2 times...?

Thanks!

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Dominic,

1. No matter what I seem to do, the title of "The Machete" is stuck at that size and I can't change that. I've tried:

I tried to replicate this issue on my test site and I was able to change text without problem. Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

2. I've made a small number of changes in desktop mode, switch to responsive, and on tablet and mobile mode it's still the same Fixer demo, please tell me I don't have to build the site 2 times...?

You should definitely not have to do that. But unfortunately this one I was able to replicate - it only shows on the Multisite (on single site it works without problem).
    I'm marking this as bug and letting developers know.
    Did you also notice that switching between devices in responsive mode takes long time?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Dominic,

Could you tell me how can I replicate issue with fonts on this one subsite, because I tried to change font using custom preset and this worked, and also I changed this text to H1 header without problem.

Did you change this text to any header before changing size in custom presets? If not then changing in preset size for Paragraph would only change size of this title.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Dominic

Hey,

Thanks for your response again.

So this is what I'm doing and what happens, all after clicking the settings button on the element:

Test 1:
    - Change the pre-set to "home-slider-text-m" - the text changes to the very large font
    - Change the "Type Element" to H2 - nothing happens
    - Change the "Weight/Style" to "Medium" - nothing happens

Test 2:
    - Leave it on "new-preset"

Thanks,

• Jason Rubin

I'm just tossing my 2 cents in here Dominic as I have had similar issues from time to time. I'm sure that you already tried this but what worked for me in part was refreshing f5 then ultimately what I have done (months later) is setup a browser to the side just for working with upfront (not saying this does anything) but it's helped me focus more when I'm using it as a tool just for that. Lately it's been working very well for me.

Cheers
    Jason

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Dominic,

Test 1:
    - Change the pre-set to "home-slider-text-m" - the text changes to the very large font

OK, I think I know what is going on here - you are changing Type Element to H2 - but the text inside is H1, so changing value in the preset for H2 header will work only for H2.
    Presets are working like clickable CSS. When you change value for H2 header it will be applied to the H2 header - and inside your text element you have H1 element.

I recorder a video of what I mean https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152848/vokoscreen-2016-05-04_12-32-33.mkv - hope this will explain more how editing works.

About the slider in the header - I spoke with developers and I was wrong when I wrote about the Fixer slider in header background. In this one case there are prepared different sliders markups for mobile devices that is why they have to be changed for mobile views (they are different to better look on mobile). This was my mistake and I apologize for that (I usually tested this on other theme where behavior is bit different).
    But this only applies for the slider - parts you removed from home page are also removed from mobile views.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Dominic

Oooooohh! That's how it works. OK, so look like in any one text element I could add various bits of text of different types, e.g. some H1, some H2, then on the left I am then editing what H1 looks like in that element? Or what an element using that pre-set does with an H1. OK, I didn't find that obvious but I get why it's a good way to do it.

Thanks for the update on the slider point. What I've also found is actually that if you add new elements these are also duplicated to the mobile views, so actually, for my purposes, it will probably just be easier to delete everything and start again anyway...

OK, so I've managed to do something in Upfront! Woop! Do you mind answering another question though - ? Some changes I make don't seem to be refelcted on the front end. For example, that same title, if I change how the text is formatted, on the front end it still just shows as H1. I removed the menu and made the slider full screen, that is reflected, but the text still hasn't changed.

Any ideas?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Dominic,

OK, so look like in any one text element I could add various bits of text of different types, e.g. some H1, some H2, then on the left I am then editing what H1 looks like in that element?

Yes, you can add multiple text tags in text element and then on the left you can manage how they look. You can create multiple presets for text elements and use them on separate text elements so you can have different looks.

Some changes I make don't seem to be refelcted on the front end. For example, that same title, if I change how the text is formatted, on the front end it still just shows as H1. I removed the menu and made the slider full screen, that is reflected, but the text still hasn't changed.

I've tested this now on your site and after saving text was change from H1 to H2 (like I changed in the editor). Could it be cache in your browser - can you test again?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Dominic

Thanks again. Yes, it does seem to be working now, I considered that it could be caching, but I ruled that out as some changes were being reflected while others were not.

More questions! Tell me if I should open a new thread for these:

1. Responsive mode:
    - So now I deleted everything from this theme on the home page in order to start again. I added the slider image, this wasn't replicated across all device sizes, fine, I added them on mobile and tablet to. Now though, I've re-added the text, but when I switch to responsive mode the text doesn't appear on mobile or table view and the option to add elements isn't present either? How do you add elements to mobile and tablet?? And is it the case that I essentially need to build the website 3 times, one for each view??

2. Centring
    - Does Upfront offer an easy way to centre elements either horizontally or vertically?

Thanks,

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Dominic,

2. Centring
    - Does Upfront offer an easy way to centre elements either horizontally or vertically?

There are few ways of doing this - for image element there is set of small buttons that will allow you to position image in that element to be centered both ways.

Text in text element can be center horizontally by using text aliment option from the text element toolbar.

For vertical center you can use padding option for the elements:

kind regards,
    Kasia