Please help me with Upfront PLEASE

I would like to style this client website using Upfront. Nothing major, but a few changes I would like would including changing the fonts and making the more aesthetically pleasing.

Also, why do I constantly have to flush the cache for my changes to be seen.

Lastly, what .php file controls the blog post page and the list of blog entries on the homepage. I would like the category of the blog topic and date next to each other versus having them on separate lines.

Can someone help me?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Julius,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I would like to style this client website using Upfront. Nothing major, but a few changes I would like would including changing the fonts and making the more aesthetically pleasing.

To change fonts (typography) for various layout elements (like <p> tags - paragraphs, <h1>, <h2> .... headers etc) please enable the Upfront editor on the page and then in an "Upfront panel" on the left click on "Theme settings". You'll find a "Typography" panel there and will be able to tweak fonts and color (including using Google Web Fonts). You'll find more information about it in this article (scroll down to "Typography" section):

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/upfront-basics/

Also, why do I constantly have to flush the cache for my changes to be seen.

This is not an "Upfront" issue but rather a result of how cache works. Cache is intended to speed-up site access for visitors by serving static "ready to use" pages stored on a server instead of content generated dynamically. In general, every caching plugin/engine works more or less this way:

- user visits the site
    - caching plugin checks whether there's already a cached version of a site
    - if it is, then instead of calling "core" WP it just reads the temporary file stored on server and sends it to the visitor's browser

Every once in a while these "temporary files" are refreshed but between these "refreshes" they are served to the user "as they are", meaning that not all changes may be reflected.

That's why it's always recommended to keep all caching tools (plugin and/or server cache) disabled during site development.

Lastly, what .php file controls the blog post page and the list of blog entries on the homepage. I would like the category of the blog topic and date next to each other versus having them on separate lines.

Spirit (and other Upfront child themes) are not meant to be edited directly. It's an "front-end visual editor" theme and you will not find any .php files in theme folder that would reflect "normal" WP theme file structure. Therefore, that's not a way to make changes to Upfront-based themes.

Instead, you will want to just open the page (e.g. blog post) in your browser, enable Upfront editor and make changes visually with drag-n-drop editor. If "visual" tools are not enough for you, you can use "Edit CSS" tool for regions/modules and or switch Upfront's panel (on the left) to the "Theme settings" view and then use "add custom CSS rules" option to open Upfront's built-in CSS editor where you can either make necessary changes to an existing custom CSS or add new rules.

I hope that helps and if you have any further questions on this, please elaborate a bit on specific changes that you'd like to make to your site and I'll be glad to assist you.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Milan

Hello @Julius,

Hope you are doing well and sorry for late prompt.

I would like to draw more attention to the moving of meta data to one line. Unfortunately, the drag and drop feature does not work with moving the category, blog published date, and comments to one line. So how would I go about doing that?

Yes you are right its not possible with drag and drop builder to set those meta data on one line. But there is one trick through which we will be able to achieve that, so trick is something like this,
    #1) Edit blog element in upfront editor.
    #2) Hit setting button
    #3) Navigate to post part tab of settings
    #4) Remove all the post parts except read more. ( Please refer attached screenshot for more information )
    #5) Use below modified html snippet for read more part.

<div>
        <div class="chunk">Comments / {{comment_count}}</div>
        <div class="chunk">{{categories}}</div>
    	<div class="chunk">{{date_1}}  {{date_2}}</div>
    	<div class="chunk">Comments / {{comment_count}}</div>
    	<div class="chunk"><a href="{{permalink}}">Read more</a></div>
    </div>

Again please refer screenshot to digest what I am saying you to do so. and if you feel something confusing please let me know. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps you.

Cheers,
    Milan Savaliya.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Julius,

Adding this CSS should add border after each post:

.home .uf-posts .uf-post {
        border-bottom: 1px solid #000;
    }

You can add this as global CSS code, check the screenshot attached on how to add global CSS in Upfront.

Also, I am having problems with a plugin that's not showing up in a widget.

Since this question is not related to above ones could you start a new thread, it will help us to keep better track of everything.
    Please include name of the plugin that is not showing and grant support access so we can check it out.

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.