PLEASE HELP!!! Not Activating Members, Membership Plugin

Hello everyone at wmudev, I really need urgent help!!

I am using the Premium Membership plugin from your site here, and I have gone through all the setup steps for it, and created access levels and subscriptions set up payment gateways and restricted content and all that.
Our Site - thesportstradingacademy.com
But it is not activating members accounts or assigning them to a subscription when they pay.
Right now members go to our site as non-members,
then they go to the join page with the [subscriptions] shortcode and click on which membership they want,
then they are redirected to the register page where they create an account,
then they are redirected back to the join page to pay for their subscription and after they pay they are directed to the payment successful page we created, but it is not activating their accounts or assigning them to a subscription even after they choose one and pay.

If you go to the site right now thesportstradingacademy.com
You will not see the membership, because we have disabled it until we can fix this.

We are trying to get the membership working ASAP...
We can give back end details if needed if someone wants to check our settings.

We are Using:
WordPress Multi-site v3.3.2 (Latest Version)
Buddypress (Latest Version)
and a whole heap of other plugins.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sbeckham,

Not a problem.

We do need to get the PayPal IPN fired up so that it informs Membership plugin of the transaction.

The items you entered into the plugin is one way - going to PayPal but now we need to set it up so that Paypal is sending the transaction back to you or rather your web site.

When using PayPal Express Checkout you should manually turn on IPN notifications and enter your IPN url --> Log into PayPal and go to your profile --> My Selling Tools --> Getting paid and managing my risk --> Instant payment notifications --> click on update

Turn IPN on and insert a URL something like: http://mydomain.org/paymentreturn/paypalexpress

While you are in the profile it would be wise to also turn on autoreturn --> My selling tools --> Website preferences --> click on update

Turn Autoreturn on and insert a URL.

Please advise how it goes.

Cheers, Joe

• sbeckham
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks so much Joe, it is activating users accounts and assigning them to their paid plain, but now whenever they go to the home page it is blank.

I have checked all the plugins and am not sure what the problem is.
    If you could help that would be great.
    I think it is something to do with the membership permissions and restrictions.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya sbeckham,

Normally a blank page would be a php error. Can you check your php error logs and let us know what you find there?

I wanted to take a look for myself, but doesn't look like the site is currently available to open registrations. Let us know what you find in your logs. Thanks!

• sbeckham

Hello Mason, I have checked the php error logs and have found about 5 Plugins causing errors and some code in one of my files I have deleted those Plugins and removed the code but it is stil showing black when a user goes to the site, for super admins and members who are not a subscription everything is showing fine but for the users who are subscribed to a plan and access level it is showing a black page, they can access the dashboard alright though.

If you give me an email I can send you the admin login details if you want to look inside and see if you can fix it....?

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

@sbeckham Sounds like the content is being hidden from those registered members because of their access levels. But the whole site being hidden? Odd indeed. I would reassign rules to those access levels, keeping in mind that using the both positive and negative rules option can cause unexpected behavior.

Do you have any levels set up allowing/disallowing blog creation? That is the final issue I'm having which I describe here but am still awaiting feedback from developers.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya folks,

As both of you are noting, membership is particularly tricky to troubleshoot! We have trouble assisting effectively here as we really need access to installs in order to see what's going on with rules in the access levels, subscriptions, etc.

@sbeckham, if you'll send an email with login credentials (make sure the user has access to the membership rules!) and mark it to my attention in the subject, I'll take a look. Use our contact form here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Also, a link to this thread would be great.

@jcjnr, Kimberly and I were discussing your site's setup last night and I know she's doing everything she can to help you get this sorted. We may need login credentials for your site as well. Feel free to pop those through and mark them to my and Kim's attention :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone. We'll get there!

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

Kimberly and I were discussing your site's setup

Certainly appreciate it! I think we're getting somewhere, but she's going to test registration from the front end for me and report back. After that, if need be, I'm happy to send Membership Admin credentials to you both.

You guys (and gals) are the best!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sbeckham,

Jumping right into this, it is time to check the IPN again.

What is the URL in your IPN settings?

Lets also see what the return URL is in the IPN History and making sure it is a Membership site transaction please let me know what the Notification URL indicates.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sbeckham,

It must be showing in your IPN history, unless there has never been a Membership transaction made, then in this case we would need to create one.

Have you had any Membership transactions?

You may need to look into the IPN history by date because it initially only show the last 24 hours or so.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @sbeckham,

I received the login credentials, thanks for sending that through. Can you verify that the blank page issue is sorted? Are we just looking at the IPN at this point?

A cursory viewing of your membership setup appears that all is correct, but there may be a problem in the database. The plugin is showing that level_period_unit field is missing or incorrect in the wp_m_subscriptions_levels table.

Can you take a look in phpmyadmin (or whatever database viewer you have available) and verify this in the table? If we have to create it manually I can walk you through that. The plugin has a database repair tool, but it's not able to fix this entry.

Let us know. Thanks!

• sbeckham

@aecnu it is showing a HTTP 500 response code

and
    @msaonjames yes the blank page is fixed but now it is not activating user accounts and subscribing them to a plan after they pay.

Yes please walk me through fixing it, if you can I have access to phpmyadmin

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

now it is not activating user accounts and subscribing them to a plan

This is the issue we're troubleshooting. Try this:
    Deactivate the free subscriptions gateway, if it is activated.
    Check the User Registration option "Enable incomplete transactions".
    Set the User Registration option "Use Subscription" to None.

Hope this helps.

• sbeckham

Hey @jcnjr those settings are already set like that I really do not no why it isn't working I have tried almost everything.

@masonjames are you able to help walk me though what I have to do in the phpmyadmin?
    and yes I just checked and that table field is empty, what do I do to fix it.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya sbeckham,

I'm attaching an image of what the fields should look like along with settings for the wp_m_subscriptions_levels table. Please take a look and make sure yours matches accordingly.

Within PHPMyAdmin, navigate to the appropriate table and then click on the 'structure' icon at the top of the right-hand window. You should see the columns and entries listed similarly to the image.

Modify the contents to match the screenshot. If you need to add a new column, there should be the option of doing that below the listing of the table structure.

Once you've done this verify that it is correct by viewing the "View Membership Tables" under the Advanced Options of Membership.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hehe,

No worries @sbeckham.
    when you say it did not work does that mean you weren't able to successfully create the new information in the database or that you were able to do so and you still have the same problem?

Let me know. Also, I can't assist on fixing the database with FTP credentials. I'd need access to your server's control panel (like cPanel or PLESK) in order to view that information.

Thanks.

• sbeckham

@masonjames I added the info I saw in your image to the database table, then I did the verify tables in the membership system and this time it said everything was allright...
    But the site still will not work!
    Is it something to do with the IPN?
    and do you have a direct email I can send the ftp details to...?
    I really need help!!!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya sbeckham,

Can you clarify what the issue still is on this one? I've taken a look at your site and see that it looks like you manually applied the subscription/level to several folks. Have you had any new signups that should've been added but were not?

In other words, do we know for sure that the issue of folks paying, but not being given the correct privileges, still exists?

Thanks.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Ok, I'm flagging the developer for some feedback here. We're working on an update to the gateways to make for some easier setup at the moment, the paypal express gateway is one that will be getting updated, though up till now we haven't had anyone else report this issue.

We're looking into it and will have it sorted as soon as possible. Sincerest apologies for the delay.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya folks,

Please head over to membership and grab the version that's now there:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

You won't notice much difference in the interface, but the ability to create a FREE option has been greatly streamlined in the admin. In my tests this now works correctly by setting a payment to $0 for any subscription.

Anxious to see if this fixes your issues here so please give it a shot and let us know how it goes for ya.

NOTE: This addresses issues with PayPal gateways ONLY. If you're using another one (AuthorizeNET or 2Checkout) please hang in there as we are looking through those right now.

Thanks again!

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

So far so good... thanks for all the hard work! I need to do some more in depth testing of all our levels, but users are now getting redirected properly after registration, and they are being assigned subscriptions, levels and the gateway upon being added to the site.

I'm sharing my settings so others know how I got it working as some things have changed with this update...

Network Settings:
    - Logged in users may register new sites.

Membership Options:
    - Gateway: PayPal Express
    - General: Use Subscription = none
    - General: Enable incomplete signup accounts = OFF

Levels/Rules
    - Member (Free): Blog Creation = Negative
    - Blogger (Free): Blog Creation = Positive, Plugin Subset = Positive
    - Shopkeeper (Paid): Blog Creation = Positive, All Plugins = Positive

Finally, our Subscriptions page says "Upgrades not available" for all the other plans. I'll presume this is affected by the Membership Upgrades setting that limits the amount of time allowed between membership upgrades to the. I've reset that to 1 day and will report back if this is not the case. (Guess I don't understand how someone could "abuse the upgrade process".)

I'd close this topic, but I don't know if sbeckham's issue has been resolved.

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

Oh, just one thing...

With the freesubscriptions gateway deactivated, there appears to be no way to have a different button for free subscription plans. The PayPal gateway only allows image URLs to be used for all plans. The "Subscribe" button may be misleading for those registering for a free account.

If there's a way to show a different button for free subscription plans, please advise. If not, consider this a feature request to add an option for using a different button image on free plans.

Thanks again.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @jcnjr,

Are you referring to the first "sign up" button on the registration page?

Yeah, currently there's no way to have a separate button for different subscriptions on the same gateway, but the "sign up" button is actually just styled by the plugin and there's a unique ID given to each level in the CSS.

So you could style the sign up buttons individually, would that do the trick for ya?

Thanks!

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

the "sign up" button is actually just styled by the plugin and there's a unique ID given to each level in the CSS

Ooh! Thanks for that, I'll check it out...

With no word from sbeckham, I'll go ahead and mark this as resolved. Thanks for all the help!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.