Please migrate two WP Multisites

Please migrate two WordPress multisites with the subdomain structure to WPMU DEV hosting

• David
    • Flash Drive

Also, we need to know when the migration begins please. Our staff of writers posts a number of articles each day and we are afraid that when the migration takes place that they will have articles that may not get copied over in the process.

• Sibghatullah Sheikh
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi David,

We've finished migrating your website over to your new hosting environment. Feel free to login with your wp-admin credentials to check out if everything is fine.

Some notes regarding the websites:
    Some themes & plugins might need reconfiguration since the url has temporarily changed ( i.e. make sure to flush caches and reconfigure any premium plugin that might be bound to a domain name ) as those might not work properly till configured.

Also a manual backup has been created and you'll find it under your Backups tab with a comment "Migration" for ksvype.wpmudev.host and "final migration" for osvype.wpmudev.host as an easy revert point for the time being.

You can follow this easy guide when you are ready to add your Primary domains to your
    environments
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/hosting/dns-and-domain-management/ .

Tell me if you need any further help with this !

Regards,
    Sibghatullah Sheikh

• David
    • Flash Drive

Sibghatullah:

Thanks for the update. Will you (or have you) change the DNS hosting and the domain name from okvype.wpmudev.host to okvype.com, etc.? I was of the understanding that this would be done from your side as well.

Also, did you migrate the SSL certificates and the Wildcard SSL certificates, all of the subdomains, etc.? Are they all set up now too?

Thanks
    David

Basically, I need to know when we can turn off GoDaddy.

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hey David ,

We don't change the NS records automatically as you have to check that at least your main site / plugins / themes etc on a Multisite are working properly :slight_smile: . This is something that you'll have to do when you feel comfortable.

The subsites since it's a "subdomain" multisite won't work as their url for the time being is a sub-subdomain of your temporary wpmudev.host domain.

Some steps to make the process easier for you:

1) You will first have to change your NS records to look at your new hosting environment ( please see https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/hosting/dns-and-domain-management/ for further information ).

2) You will then add your domain name to each environment that you want and wait for it to pass the DNS Check if the records are properly set.

3) You can now set that domain as your Primary Domain so the website is accessible via
    ksvype.com as an example.

4) We then install your certificates and you can browse your multisite normally.

I've already taken the necessary Certs from your CPanel but please don't remove anything until the whole process is done for safekeeping :slight_smile: .

Do inform me when the NS settings are done and the domains are set to Primary so we can check the SSLs for you.

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hey David ,

As explained in the documentation all the information needed can easily be found inside your environment details under Domains tab. https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/hosting/dns-and-domain-management/#getting-started

To help you out a bit:

For okvype.wpmudev.host ( https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/hosting/?view=site&site_id=okvype&tab=domains )

And for ksvype.wpmudev.host ( https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/hosting/?view=site&site_id=ksvype&tab=domains )

--

Please note that DNS changes might take up to 48hours to propagate properly. That depends on each NS provider and we can't do anything to control it.

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• David
    • Flash Drive

Konstantin:

Thank you. But what about the WILDCARD A records for the subdomains? Don't those need to be changed too?

And, am I changing only the CNAME record for www ? GoDaddy has 6 CNAME records for okvpe.com. Then, we have A Record for @ and also A Record for * (which is for the subdomains)

Thanks

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hey David ,

Yes of course! The "wildcard" should be changed as well to look at the new hosting environment with it's A record as well ( same as you'll do for the primary domain ).

All records should be updated accordingly, you can compare a similar setup here https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/hosting/dns-and-domain-management/#godaddy .

Tell me if you need further help so I can inform you how to provide us with your GoDaddy details to make the updates for you if you like.

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• David
    • Flash Drive

Konstantinos:

Just now I changed the settings on GoDaddy DNS side for okvype.com as follows
    A Record for @ points to 142.93.191.224
    A Record for * points to 142.93.191.224
    3:02 pm
    CNAME for www is set to @
    AAAA record was created per instructions
    Are these the correct things to do?

• David
    • Flash Drive

By making these changes I have lost all of the SSL. I am getting this error message when I go to okvype.com:

okvype.com normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Google Chrome tried to connect to okvype.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be okvype.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Google Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit okvype.com right now because the website uses HSTS. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

• David
    • Flash Drive

Konstantine: I had to set the DNS settings for okvype.com back to the original GoDaddy settings. When I set the ones per the instructions in https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/hosting/dns-and-domain-management/#getting-started EVERYTHING BROKE.

My understanding was that the site would keep running.

I believe I may need assistance to do things correctly. For a regular WP site, typically not a problem. But we are migrating these sites with multisite networks, wildcard A records, regular SSL and Wildcard SSL. Really quite complicated for me.

Please advise

• David
    • Flash Drive

Please let me know where I can send you the login details for the DNS settings.

I will be out for a couple of hours, so we may have to continue on this tomorrow.... the best I can do.

I apologize that this is so complicated for me. When I changed the A Records, the site broke (probably related to SSL issues)

Anyway, I think it may be better if I can get some assistance. I can provide login information if needed.

Thanks
    David

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hi David ,

As I mentioned on my last reply the DNS might take up to 48 hours to propagate fully, so yes the site might not be accessible at that time from some locations depending on the internet provider and if they have updated their records etc. That's not something that we control.

As I see you didn't also add your domain names at all in the hosting environments so even if you changed the records they couldn't find the domain as it wasn't added.

As for the settings I can help you set up the NS records to point on the new hosting environments so then we can install the certificates as well.

You can send me the information needed privately through our contact form at https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question by following this example:

Subject: "Attn: Konstantinos Xenos"

- GoDaddy Access for domain names ksvype.com & okvype.com
    Username:
    Password:
    Login URL:

- Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs -or- information regarding the issue that was not included in this thread

Let me state the process again:
    The domains should be added on each hosting environment
    The NS records should be updated to look at the new environments
    ---Waiting time ( up to 48 hours ) for NS records to propagate properly ---
    We install the SSLs as soon as the domains point to the new environments.
    Your sites are live from the new hosting environments

You can send me the login details so we can do all the changes for you :slight_smile: .

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• David
    • Flash Drive

I can see that the main domains for okvype.com and ksvype.com have been migrated over. What about the subdomains? Is this still in process? I see that they are not connecting yet. If I go to https://okcity.okvype.com I am still getting the "Your Connection is not Private" error which tells me that that the Wildcard SSL Cert has not been added yet.

Is this still in process? Just want to make sure that all of the subdomains get in as well.

Thanks so much!!
    DK

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hey David ,

As mentioned before the propagation might take a long time :slight_smile: please have some patience. We're pinging the sites to see if everything shows ok from various locations and then we will add the SSLs as well.

You're seeing a connection issue at the moment since the SSLs are not yet installed. Some other locations might not be available to the site at all.

I'll get back to you when the whole process is done.

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• David
    • Flash Drive

Sibghatullah:

I sent an email via https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and copied both and Konstantin. I am NOT an SSL expert by any means and that is why we are depending on your team for this assistance. The email above contains the pages where you should get the SSL information. I have no idea what all of those others are on the link you sent in the previous message.

Our subdomains have been down since Friday and we really need them up as soon as possible. I am hoping that the Wildcard SSLs are the only issue remaining to get them up and running. Please provide an estimate on when you think they will be live and not giving SSL error messages?

Thanks always for your kind and expert assistance
    David

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hey David ,

Thank you for emailing in. Sorry for the confusion but "intermediate" certificates are handled by the Certificate Authority ( GoDaddy in this case ) and they are not included in the CPanel where we've taken the SSLs from. Since GoDaddy has various intermediate certificates there was a confusion of which to use but I took the research on myself and found the correct ones.

Everything should be up and running and I'm sorry again for this delay.

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• David
    • Flash Drive

Konstantinos:

Thanks for your prompt response. Looks like the site is running now on WPMU as well as all subdomains on both ksvype.com and okvype.com.

Appreciate all your time and effort. It looks great. The migration appears to have fixed the buggy image upload issue for the ksvype.com subdomains as well!! (See Ticket posted before this one)

Thanks again.

I'll be in touch if we run into any issues.

Cheers
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.