Please stop changing the SBE template, classes, IDs and everything else each time you update the plu

You update this plugin regularly, which is good - but each change breaks everything about this plugin on our sites - and that's a lot of work to keep checking and fixing.

If you introduce IDs or classes into the HTML elements, please don't change them and please don't hard code
tags - please consider that some people will use the functionality but not the layout or styling of this plugin.

Set some fixed standards for the front-end template or provide a template based alternative method ( .php, .js & .css files that can be run from the active theme and do not break on each update ).

If this breaks again on the next update, I will be moving to another system.

Thanks

• Ray Q
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I simply don't have time to fix this now - where can I access old version of this plugin?

This is the second time in about 10 days that an update of this plugin has caused problem across all the sites that I use it on - I will no long be updating this plugin and I will be looking for a replacement.

• Ray Q

I've found the old versions ( linked from the changelog in case anyone else needs this ) - plugin updates blocked and looking for a replacement.

Your plugin is good - but you've got to sort out the update process - remember that lots of people are using it and each might have customized some aspect of the presentation or functionality - make your initial plugin more future-proof.

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi @Q Studio.

Sorry for that, you're right, some of the updates may break something and some of the points you're saying are true. I'll try to think more about it next time but Subscribe By Email is sometimes hard to code as emails are always a pain while coding. I usually try to keep updates as smooth as possible but sometimes I need to change a core feature becuase something is failing with an email provider or a system setup or the emails are just not passing spam filters. Currently I'm focused on multipart emails so the sendings can pass spam filters so next version will include an improvement in that area.

The AJAX thing is a mistake, it should have been included but I see is not working. Widget should support both methods so I'll include it again in next version.

Could you give me more examples about what did it break to you when you updated it? I think the plugin is getting more and more stable and it can be used in a bunch of different systems and email providers so we'll build the plugin from now on with that in mind.

Regards.
    Ignacio.

• Ray Q

Hi Ignacio,

Like you, my job is building and maintaining WordPress themes and plugins - one thing to always consider is the various use cases of the tool you provide.

In most cases, people will not change how the technical features work - that is which email providers you connect to and such - however people are more likely to change how the plugin looks and perhaps works on the UI.

I have styled the plugin in CSS - using both classes and ID's provided by the plugin ( I know that ID's are generally not recommended for styling, but they are an easy say to grab a superior selector to make rules stick.. ), I also had to use some intricate jQuery to wrap elements in span tags to allow them to be styled how I needed.

I would suggest that you should set fixed ID and Class names on all elements and don't change them - you should also provide the HTML for the front-end in the most semantically correct, clean and flexible way possible - consider that people wish to hide, move or remove parts of the UI.

My last suggestion - and this is something that all plugins that provide a front-end UI should do - is to allow for a templates file, CSS and JS file to be placed in the current theme and to be used over the plugin version - separate your logic from the template to make this work reliably..

Ray

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Thanks a lot.

Yes, I updated IDs and classes lately so the plugin is more customizable but this caused a CSS/js loose. I think than more than a templates system (the plugin is just a widget and follow button and will include a shortcode in the future), a CSS/JS textarea should be enough.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll keep them in mind for sure.

Regards.
    Ignacio.

• Ray Q

Providing the ability to include templates files ( php, js or css ) from the active theme does not mean you need to include these in the plugin - just that if they exists, they are included - it adds a lot of flexibility and will avoid these update issues.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.