Please supply a synopsis of the plugins/tools that I would need for this project.

Hello,

I have a project which I'm struggling with. The only reason for the struggle is the large amounts of research that I need to do in order to get it completed.

With that in mind, I thought that it would be easier if I were to describe the project for you to see if you have any suggestions for plugins or tools to complete the job.

Here's the project requirements so far:

--

I have some friends who I want to give blogs to for free.

I want to offer a place to marketers to start their blogs on my network with a low upfront cost

I want to offer a supporting community along with this,

I want to be able to offer premium plugins and themes for a fee.

I want to be able to have hidden premium content which is unlocked via micro-payments

I want to be able to scale it up as it gets busier.

I'm still very much developing my ideas as I go along and as i come across new tools which suddenly give me more features that I might use to make my site a success.

Your help is appreciated.

Regards,
Sonny.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Sonny,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Here we go.

I have some friends who I want to give blogs to for free.

Use WordPress Multisite

I want to offer a place to marketers to start their blogs on my network with a low upfront cost

Use Pro Sites

I want to offer a supporting community along with this,

Use Forums

I want to be able to offer premium plugins and themes for a fee.

ProSites Will take care of this

I want to be able to have hidden premium content which is unlocked via micro-payments

You can use Membership Plugin for that

I want to be able to scale it up as it gets busier.

Choose a good host. WordPress is already scalable. For Databases you can use Multi DB

I'm still very much developing my ideas as I go along and as i come across new tools which suddenly give me more features that I might use to make my site a success.

Sure thing. Planning is the most important thing. Make sure you go step by step else you will be confused on what to do first. (Believe me, it happens)

I hope that helps.Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• sonnymanou
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Which forum does WPMU DEV use?

There are going to be incidences where a user wants feedback on a draft blog post or page.

I don't want "reviewers" to be able to access any other part of that sub-site's admin panel - or to be able to EDIT the draft. They're simply there to review the draft.

They need to comment on the draft there too. When the post/page was passed ready for publication; the comments would need to be removed first.

All of the above needs to be intuitive.

Is this possible?

• sonnymanou

Thanks TT,

I should have made my post a bit clearer: there are two questions above. Help with the other one and its (what should have been) bullet points would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for being a more knowledgable than I - fellow member of WPMU DEV! :wink:

Regards,
    Sonny

• Mike Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Sorry I don't know the answers to your other questions otherwise I would have gladly provided ..im just passing on free knowledge when I can :wink: But from reading your 2nd question, I honestly can't think off the top of my head as to how "drafts" will be able to be reviewed by users who did not create them (from the front end anyhow)

WP User FrontEnd Pro is a plugin I have that I love and allows for creating of drafts from the front end but even with that plugin, drafts are still drafts in that no other user can see them. I mean, that is why its a draft.

You could possibly create a special role using a User Role Editor type plugin that would be what you want in a "reviewer" and then customize a plugin such as User Frontend to allow the viewing of drafts by that role (but that would take a lot of customization im guessing)

What you are trying to do sounds complicated so the answer is NOT going to be easy nor will "bullet points" be able to assist you here LOL Usually im 100% behind a full front end website using Wordpress (love that) but in this case you might be better off in the backend using Easy Blogging

• sonnymanou

You are very kind with your time, TT.

As I understand it, it IS possible to publish something but "privately". I wonder if this is the functionality that I need to configure, to allow my "reviewers" access whilst keeping it from public view. I'm presuming (heavily) that those with private access to the post or page, would also have the ability to privately comment to it/them.

Just to clarify: the "reviewers" each have their own blog on the network and are not users on the blog with the post/page to be reviewed.

I hope that makes sense.

Sonny

• Mike Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey

I think you are on to something now. Private posts are those created in which the only people able to see them is Editors and Admins. Your "reviewer" role can either simply be the Editor role or again you can create a role using a role editor plugin and ensure you select the capability of viewing private content.

If these users will have their own blogs on the network, you will then have to use a plugin such as Multisite User Management to ensure they have Editor rights (or reviewer) on the main blog in the network (or whatever blog they are reviewing posts) This is key and you will not be able to do this without the Multisite User management plugin.

Hope this is helpful

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Sonny (@sonnymanou)

I hope you are well today.

I've been looking into this with regards to the private posting and this is a tough one to get the actual functionality you want, as out of the box, this isn't possible. But I have thought of a couple of ways that may help, without custom coding anything.

You could create a custom user role, say "Reviewer" This user role,would only have access to post's on the back end. A author would submit a post for review, rather than saving as draft/posting it, using custom press, you could create some comments fields, which would need to be hidden front-end, but show in admin, then a reviewer can comment on the post.

Another way, would be to create a custom post type and a custom role, the custom post type would actually get posted, but would be on a private page that only reviewers can see, this way the standard WordPress comments functionality could be maintained and might work in a slightly better way than above, but this way also isn't full proof, as you'll want to say rather than post, have submit, the menu item could be submit for review, they write the post, submit/post it, reviewer views this post front-end and can comment on it.
    But once that's been done, they would then need to submit it like a normal post.

I believe that's the closet your going to get without custom coding a solution.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• sonnymanou

Hi Jack,

I've been away for a few days: I'm sorry for the late reply.

Much of what you've had to say above has just gone over my head. I'll have to break down what you've said and then go away to do some research. For instance, I see "custom post types" - what are these? Like I've said; I need to at least learn a few more Wordpress terms from a glossary somewhere. :slight_frown:

Thanks for your help so far, Jack.

Sonny.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Sonny,

I hope your well today, no problem, please feel free to ask me to explain anything further, I'm happy to assist.

A custom post type, is something that may not have all the features of a normal blog post, or it may have extra features added if custom coded. It will be a new label, so rather than say "add new post", you may "add new car" (that's just an example).
    You may also display custom post types in their own loop separate from the standard WordPress loop of normal blog posts.

Also do check out that plugin I posted http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/edit-flow/
    As I believe that will do everything you want it and It'll be much more simple to use that :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.