plug in errors making site unusable

The website developer who is integrating the plug in and setting it up has let me know that every time he "fixes" one of the errors another is created. Please tell me what needs to be done, upgraded, etc in order for the plug in to work on my wordpress site. Thanks
These are the errors that show on the home page of my website:
Notice: Undefined property: WP_Query::$post in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3034

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3402

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3404

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3406

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php:3034) in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 875

• Alexander

Hi @gigi,

This is for the Directory plugin correct? I've just tested this, and I don't have any of those messages with WP_DEBUG enabled.

Has your developer made changes to this plugin directly? If so, it's going to be difficult to troubleshoot this, as any changes may have caused other problems. If any changes have been made to the plugin directly, you'll need to do a backup and revert to the latest version of the original code before we can test effectively.

The error messages you've mentioned, none point to Directory specifically. They could be from other plugins. We'll need to verify this.

Here's what I'd suggest first. Deactivate the Directory plugin temporarily and check your home page again. If any of the issues remain, we know they are not coming from this plugin.

If you're still having errors, we'll need to test for a plugin and theme conflict. To do this, switch to the TwentyThirteen theme, and deactivate all other plugins. Now we can do a controlled test, and see if the errors are still there.

If you still have errors, we can look into the Directory plugin further. If the errors go away, you can switch your theme back, and start reactivating plugins. This will help us narrow down if anything is conflicting with Directory.

Best regards,

• gigi

With the directory plug in deactivated the wordpress 2013 theme pops up and no errors are showing. The 2013 theme was the one already loaded, that was not changed. The developer is only getting the directory site up and running with the categories made, etc, he has not done anything to the coding of the plugin. It looks like the directory plug in is the problem since the home page is showing no errors once I deactivated the plug in. Thanks

• Alexander

Hi @gigi,

Thanks for the update. I'm still not seeing these messages on my test site, and I'm not sure what we should check next here.

The first four are just "Notices" so they aren't actually harmful and are mainly used to provide developers with information while writing plugins. The warning about headers already being sent is a potential problem though.

I'm going to touch base with the developer here to see if he has any ideas on this.

Best regards,

• Arnold

Is the plugin currently active on your site?

The error your getting about headers already being sent could be due to a lot of things. Some as simple a a single space character before the <?php in a php file.
    To tell where it's coming from I'd need to see the call stack info for the error. Do you have

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

in your wp-config.php so we could take a look at the full error?

• Arnold

What I'm seeing is something is sending header information (HTTP header) before it should which is causing Directory to fail in it's setup.

This could be something as simple a and extra space character or BOM (Byte Order Mark) before the leading "<?php" in a *.php file. Or trailing spaces after the closing
    "?>"

You indicate this is the2013 theme, Are there any other plugins activated?

PLaces this could sneak in. If you edit the wp-config.php file with an editor that adds a BOM mark.

I test against 2013 all the time with Directory and don't have the problem here.

• Arnold

Since it was claiming a header was already sent when Directory tried to set up Itried to take a look for what that header was. The only on there was

X-Pad: Avoid browser bug

This is a very old obsolete header being sent by your Apache server. It's been obsolete for about 15 years. Here's and article on the problem.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8711584/x-pad-avoid-browser-bug-header-added-by-apache

It appears it's only being sent for php file. It doesn't appear for html files. That string doesn't exist in the Wordpress code so it has to be coming from your server.

• gigi

Hi

Thanks for reply.
    I have activated the 2013 Theme and Both plugins, WPMU and Directory
    Please you can have a look of site.
    The log file has too much errors so I am pasting the latest here

/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3034
    [26-Oct-2013 17:21:44] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3402
    [26-Oct-2013 17:21:44] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3404
    [26-Oct-2013 17:21:44] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3406
    [26-Oct-2013 17:21:44] PHP Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php:3034) in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-content/plugins/directory/core/core.php on line 1261
    [26-Oct-2013 17:21:44] PHP Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php:3034) in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-content/plugins/directory/core/core.php on line 1261
    [26-Oct-2013 17:21:44] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php:3034) in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 875
    [26-Oct-2013 17:22:06] PHP Notice: Undefined property: WP_Query::$post in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3034
    [26-Oct-2013 17:22:06] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3402
    [26-Oct-2013 17:22:06] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3404
    [26-Oct-2013 17:22:06] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3406
    [26-Oct-2013 17:22:06] PHP Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php:3034) in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-content/plugins/directory/core/core.php on line 1261
    [26-Oct-2013 17:22:06] PHP Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php:3034) in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-content/plugins/directory/core/core.php on line 1261
    [26-Oct-2013 17:22:06] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php:3034) in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 875

I ma very much agree with you on this situation , which you have explained

["extra space character or BOM (Byte Order Mark) before the leading "<?php" in a *.php file. Or trailing spaces after the closing
    "?>" ]

But as I can see these errors are showing from WP core files and directory plugin.
    Is it means that I have to edit WP core files to remove space or BOM ?

Thank you

• Arnold

I think we're partially fooling ourselves. If you look at the code on those lines there's no way they could output anything that would cause header errors.

What's happening is that the error messages themselves are what's causing the header errors.

Add a define for 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY' set to false. This will prevent the errors appearing in the HTML but allow them to be logged to the log file so we can see the real errors.

• gigi

Hi Arnold

Thanks for reply
    I have make the WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY false .
    Now the site is working fine without any error, But in error log file, its still logging errors and these are as bellow

[27-Oct-2013 17:56:27] PHP Notice: Undefined property: WP_Query::$post in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3034
    [27-Oct-2013 17:56:27] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3402
    [27-Oct-2013 17:56:27] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3404
    [27-Oct-2013 17:56:27] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3406
    [27-Oct-2013 17:56:27] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-content/themes/twentythirteen/header.php:13) in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 875

I think it can be a temporary solution but can't be permanent.

Thank you

• Arnold

Great. Now I can see where the problem is coming from. You have the Listings archive page set as a Static Front page. Due to the order that Wordpress searches for page type it looks for a Front Page template before it looks for an Archive type page template. So it' pulling the default templte of "page" instead of th listing one. That's why it's showing virtual page on it.

It'll take a while to figure out a way to work around Wordpresses built in search order.

In the meantime you may want to use a different fonrt page. You could make a Page with the

[dr_list_categories style="grid"]

Displays a list of categories.links for you. and they can then pickwhich category to view. This avoids the search prder problem.

• gigi

Hi

I have changed the home page and also used the given code and its working fine.
    But I donlt understand why its still showing the error in log file

[29-Oct-2013 19:18:45] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/query.php on line 3406
    [29-Oct-2013 19:18:46] PHP Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_name in /home/content/b/i/o/bioinfotech/html/experttelesummitspeakers/wp-includes/template.php on line 244

Please have a look

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.