Plug in not working-Batch Create Upload

I created the upload file. I uploaded it. It loads the file to the queue. However, I do not get the link to process the queue.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Can you try it with the test.xls file that’s included in the plugin settings? That should be able to tell us if there’s a problem with batch create or with the file you’re using.

Let me know how that goes and we’ll proceed from there. Thanks!

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

There’s possibly something in the .xls that the plugin has problems understanding. Could you please post your queue file, so I can check it out and see what might be causing problems? This would save us both a lot of guesswork and hopefully point out the problem right away.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

I have not used this plugin in a few weeks, but if i recall the button is above and to the right of the ” items are added to the queue” message.

I will be using this later tonight, will check it out for you once i download it, if you have not found it!

Thanks!

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Gail

Thanks for uploading your batch create file. The problem is the site URLs are incorrect. For example, you have used avoca37.org/20oswaldoa when your site URL needs to be written as 20oswaldoa

I assume you have already created these sites with their admin users attached since these users are all contributors? If not, you first need to create the blogs attached to an administrator user and then process this batch create file to add these users as contributors. If the blog is already created you don’t need to include the site title and can leave the site title blank when you addthem as contributors.

Thanks MTB1701 for showing Gail where the process link will appear!

Hope this helped!

Sue Waters

Edublogs Support Manager

• Gail Soriano
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Sue,

I guess I need to make 2 spreadsheets. This is not clear in the documentation.

I made one to first make the blogs, with the administrator user and the blog name.

See file: http://avoca37.org/sorianog/files/2012/10/1st-Grade-NEW-BLOGS.xls

The second file I made to add new users as contributors to the blogs. Here is the file:

When I upload, items are added to the queue (it says in the yellow bar.) Then there is nowhere to process the queue.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

hi Gail Soriano

When creating sites you can stagger user roles per site

example:

Site1 user1 admin

site2 user1 contributor

site3 user2 admin

site3 user5 contributor.

You will run into problems trying to ad multiple users and rolls to the same site with batch create.

What i do is use batch create to make the sites and the admins, then use

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/add-existing-users/

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/add-new-users/

To bulk add additional users to the sites.

Hope this helps! BTW how many sites and users are you wanting to create?

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Actually i just rechecked and you can just add users!

Packed full of features such as:

Batch create new users and/or sites

Batch add users to existing sites

Ability to assign user roles

Sorry about that, i must read and try this over the weekend, can you wait tell Monday for an answer, or test it yourself and let me know how it works?

Thanks Sue

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

User Role

The user role (when the user is added to an existing site).

Role can be set to subscriber, contributor, author, editor, or administrator.

If user role isn’t specified they are automatically added as an administrator.

If a new site is being created and the assigned user’s role isn’t administrator the Super Admin will be assigned to the site as an adminstrator

There is a lot of information here

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/batch-create/

Check the usage tab towards the bottom, and follow the instructions on the batch create XML export file; it may tell you how to separate multiple users and roles in the columns.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

follow the instructions on the batch create XML export file; it may tell you how to separate multiple users and roles in the columns.

No it does not say how!

I am getting curious now, but i haven’t finished my themes to set up the new blog template to create my network yet! It is the weekend and response times from staff maybe a little slower than usual, so i will check back before i begin the Batch Create Process to see if you have posted any advice, and if not then i will post my results for you!

Thanks!

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Gail

Thanks for uploading your two new batch create files. I’ve processed both of your batch create files (except changed the email addresses) and both worked fine for me.

When you uploaded 1st-Grade-NEW-BLOGS.xls did the process link appear and were you able to create the new blogs? Did you log into a few of the blogs to make sure they were created properly?

Was it only 1st-Grade-NEW-USER.xls that didn’t work?

Thanks for the feedback regarding documentation. It is hard to explain because Batch Create is used in many different ways.

Batch Create is an advanced creation tool and it is doing a lot when creating blogs and users. So the key aspects to remember are all blogs must have an admin user. While MTB1701 is technically correct that you could create both the blogs with the admin users and add new users to the blogs in the same batch create file it is better to create them as two separate files. Less chance of you having issues.

I’m also like MTB1701 in terms of which tool I use. If I only need to create a few blogs and add users than I use Blog & User Creator ( https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/blog-and-user-creator/ ) whereas if I need to process a large batch I’ll use Batch Create.

The Blog & User Creator includes both the Add New User and Add Existing User plugin which MTB1701 uses. With the Blog & User Creator you can create the blog and add another user at the same time. For example, on Edublogs teachers use the Blog & User Creator to create their own student blogs and are added as admin users to their student blogs while the students are being added as users. This explains how our teachers use Blog & User Creator – http://help.edublogs.org/2009/08/31/creating-student-blogs-using-the-blog-user-creator/

Thanks for all your help MTB1701. Hope you get some sleep!

Sue Waters

Edublogs Support Manager

• Gail Soriano
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I am first just trying to upload the new blogs file. It uploads, but I do not get the link to process the queue. I continue to have the same issue. I have not tried to create the users yet, as I want them created as contributors to the blogs that I haven’t been able to make yet. Once I get the blogs file to work, I will try to create the new contributor users.

I need to make about 100 blogs for students. The students also need to be created as contributor users. I used this plugin in with WPMU years ago before we updated our website to the newer version of wordpress. I used 2 spreadsheets at that time. the same as I am trying now.

I am really frustrated. Thank you all for your help.

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Gail

It is best for Ve (Vladislav) looks at it as your batch create files are working on my WordPress Multisite install.

Can you send FTP and Super Admin login details through using our Secure contact form ( https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ )? Please include “Plug in not working-Batch Create Upload” for the subject line and include a link to this post plus ask for Ve to look at it for you in the message.

Thanks!

Sue Waters

Edublogs Support Manager

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Gail

Quick update to let you know that the issue is related to the fact your install doesn’t have a wp-content/uploads/batch-create directory and this is why your file is never read when it is uploaded.

Ve thinks it is related to how WP Engines is managing their files and he is following it up with them to discuss a solution.

Thanks!

Sue Waters

Edublogs Support Manager

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help with this, Sue! The WPEngine support team was super helpful and truly awesome – the issue, as it turns out, was related to how the plugin handled the database upgrade from an older version to more recent structure. The attached update should fix this particular issue, can you please give it a go and see if it helps?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.