Plug-ins & settings to use for opitimum rankings with WPEngine

Good day....
I am in the process of rebuilding my Wordpress site with new hosting from WPEngine. Unable to use many of the plug-ins I'd used before because of the WPEngine rules. I am curious what others are using who've run into the same issue.
Prior to migrating my site over too WPEngine. I'd been listed number one on Google, since starting the site on HostGator about two years ago. But there appears to be plenty of room for improvement at this point. According to the test scores I have received since the migration. So with that being said, I am open to any and all advice. On the settings and plug-ins others are using to get top rankings and page test scores.
Be aware that one of the reasons why I switched hosting companies, was in an attempt to get my site to load and respond instantly.
Please be patient and keep in mind that I am not very experienced. But also keep in mind that I have a very good thing going, and it's time for me to step up my program. Regardless of my experience level, I have no choice but to go for it. And that my friends is why I have become a member here.
Thanks in advance!
Take care,
Mark

• Nastia

Hello Mark , I hope you are doing well!

Thank you for your question!

To optimize your site and achieve better rankings, try the Hummingbird plugin. It is working well on wpEngine host provider.

Once the plugin is installed, run a performance check, once the plugin will scan your site it will show suggestions how you can improve your site score.

Please see the detailed instructions here:
    Make Your WordPress Site FLY with Hummingbird

Also for better score and faster site loading, please try the WP Smush Pro plugin. The plugin resizes and compresses images with almost no loss in quality.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Sajid

Hello Mark,
    Hope you are doing good today

The only thing I can think of at the moment might be minification of Hummingbird that may break the frontend of your site if not configured properly.

We have also added a note on Hummingbird minification page that I am quoting it here too:

Admin, moving files between the header and footer of your page can break your website. We recommend tweaking and checking each file as you go and if a setting causes errors then revert the setting here.

The best way to configure Minification is as follow.

1. Enable Minification module from Dashboard -> Hummingbird -> Minification.

2. Check frontend, some times default setup work. No ? Then continue to next step.

3. Dashboard -> Hummingbird -> Minification- > Bulk Update and disable Minify and Combine all together.

4. Now, start minifying and combining each file one at a time and keep checking the frontend of your site to make sure every thing is working. If some thing broke, then come back to minification page, revert the change you just made and try a different combination.

5. Done.

Hope that helps! If you still need help then please don't hesitate to post a reply here and enable support staff access so I could take a closer look.

To grant access go to WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access -> Grant Support Access or see this manual for more details regarding how to enable support staff access.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Mark

Hello Sajid,
    Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it. All I have to say is in response is, 'easier said than done.' At this point, my head is spinning. As I'm a bit confused and overwhelmed with all of this. However, with that being said. I've granted access so that you can take a closer look. As I am obviously not having much luck myself. At any rate, I'll look forward to hearing from you.
    Until then...thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated.
    Take care,
    Mark

• Sajid

Hello Mark,

Thanks for enabling support staff access for your site. However, after enabling Hummingbird minification, I don't see any issues on frontend of your website.

Could you please share the screenshot of the issue here and also please post the link of that page ?

Also, I can understand being new you might face some issues/confusion. Please create separate ticket for each issue, this will be helpful for us to provide you better support.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

PS: I have deactivated Hummingbird plugin after testing.

• Mark

Hello Sajid,
    Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I am doing well, thanks for asking.
    Without sharing a screen shot. The site menu doesn't work, allowing no navigation away from opening page or the ability to log-in, register, etc. from the home page, with Hummingbird enabled.
    With that being said, I will leave it enabled, so you can check for yourself. But I would rather not share a link to the page here on the forum.
    Thanks again for your assistance, I'll look forward to hearing from you.
    Until then...
    Take care,
    Mark

• Sajid

Hello Mark,

Thanks for keeping the support staff access open for me to take another look. However, I can't see issues with Navigation Menu and Login Register links are working fine for me.

In case, you don't want to share the information publicly, I made this private so now only staff and you can see this ticket.

Take care and look forward towards your response

Best Regards,
    Sajid