Plugin does not work

Hi,

I have recently bought and installed the plugin and I have noted that there is some things that do not work.

I have activate it and filled out the API details for twitter and FB.

When I are going to comment via facebook, it does not submit, and twitter too. For google plus does not refresh.

For wordpress comments it works ok.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @blogsolutions,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

To your questions, it sounds like there's either a js conflict and possibly a connection issue to facebook and twitter.

Can we get a link to your site so we can take a look? We use this plugin over on wpmu.org and I've got it running on several test installs without issue.

If we can get a link, I'm sure we can help you get it sorted quickly. Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @blogsolutions,

I'm seeing a lot of errors loading up on the highmotor site. Seems like GA_googleFetchAds and GA_googleFillSlot are not defined which is creating several Reference Errors.

Also, it's possible the facebook widgets on the site are conflicting by loading the same facebook script multiple times.

My suggestion would be to try and disable any plugin or remove any widget that is loading scripts from facebook and twitter and then also try to eliminate the reference errors (I assume that is also due to a plugin somewhere).

If another plugin is loading facebook/twitter scripts you can disable the ones being loaded in our plugin via a checkbox on the Comments Plus Settings page.

Then, let's see if commenting works. If it does we can begin adding other elements back to find exactly when things start to breakdown.

@habib_beebo, I imagine your problem will be similar. For both of you I highly recommend a tool used in firefox called Firebug. It's a tool front-end developers use all the time to debug problems such as this one or work through changes to html/css

There's a great writeup on Firebug here: http://www.studiopress.com/tips/using-firebug.htm

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything further!

• valu
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I'm facing same problems too:

1. I can't open Facebook login window. Firebug console says: ReferenceError: FB is not defined.

2. Google sends a comment, but doesn't refresh the comment form. (It keeps loading).

• valu

Hi,

I figured this out.

Facebook init fails, because it's trying to load Facebook JS from location that doesn't exists.

WordPress uses locale fi for finnish language, so plugin tries to load Facebook JS from http://connect.facebook.net/fi/all.js?ver=3.4.2 which gives 500 internal server error.

Proper URL is http://connect.facebook.net/fi_FI/all.js?ver=3.4.2

Could you add a filter for Facebook base JS URL, so I don't have to modify plugin files directly after every update.

EDIT: This solved only the Facebook related problem - Comment form is still not Refreshing after sending a comment via Google.

• valu

I debugged also the Google related problem and I found a bug.

Line window.location.reload(); in comments-plus/js/google.js on line 56 has been commented out for some reason.

When I removed comment marks form the line mentioned above, everything is working correctly and page is refreshed properly after the comment submission.

I really hope you to fix these bugs and release a new version of the plugin as soon as possible.

• habib_beebo
    • New Recruit

Here is my page that you can test http://www.footballfrustration.com/2012/09/liverpool-entertainment/

I do use Inspect in Chrome and I have FireBug as well, but there doesn't seem to be any errors posted in Console except for the following

FB.getLoginStatus() called before calling FB.init().
    FB.init has already been called - this could indicate a problem

and the same "error" comes up when I use twitter as well. I can login to fb and twitter, but when I post, the ajax loader comes up for a few seconds, then the whole page refreshes and nothing gets posted. Not sure if it should be reloading the page or not.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya folks,

@miviks, I've pinged the developer and had him look into this. Perhaps there's something we can do to be more flexible with other themes. The plugin DOES work without those modifications on hundreds of other sites though.

@habib_beebo, It seems another plugin is loading facebook/twitter scripts you can disable the ones being loaded in our plugin via a checkbox on the Comments Plus Settings page.

Let us know if that works for ya. Thanks!

• valu

@Mason: Thank you! A few remarks:

If you are using the latest version of the plugin (currently 1.5) page won't refresh after sending a comment via Google regardless of which theme you use, because this functionality is disabled in the plugin's source code.

And what comes to Facebook related problem, It would be generally a good practice to add filters to your function outputs like:

apply_filters( 'facebook_all_js_source_url', $localized_url );

More filters = less support forum questions

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The latest plugin release (v1.5.1, just released) should have the Google refreshing issue fixed. As for the Facebook locales, the locales used by WordPress and the ones used by Facebook don't always match, so the plugin's auto-detection doesn't always work as intended. In the latest release, there's a new add-on named "Facebook Locale" which gives you control over exactly what locale should be used for Facebook. You can also control this using a define named "WDCP_FACEBOOK_LOCALE", or by hooking up to a filter "wdcp-locale-facebook_locale", which accepts (and is expected to return) a single parameter, which is a locale string.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.