Plugin folder naming consistency and branding

It would be nice if the WPMU Dev plugin releases came with some sort of consistent file naming convention. At the moment it looks like you have different devs working on different plugins and as a result they each have a different sort of naming, UI and file structure.

Also, WP-admin look a bit messy when you have WPMU DEV SEO and WPMUDEV Maps, I don't believe I should be paying $400+ for plugins that put their own branding in my customers wp-admin.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi MemiahMatt,

That's understandable and I'll tag some of the other folks over here on this thread for further consideration of the file naming scheme.

As for the naming of those couple plugins, since the software here is all open-sourced, you are free to make changes to those as you like.

However, you may be able to simply use the Custom Admin Text Change plugin to change the name throughout your admin area.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/network-text-change/

Perhaps that'll work for you on those cases?

Cheers,
    David

• Memiah
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

As for the naming of those couple plugins, since the software here is all open-sourced, you are free to make changes to those as you like.

I don't think that's strictly true, otherwise you wouldn't be charging for it? Check the definition of open source :disappointed:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't think that's strictly true, otherwise you wouldn't be charging for it? Check the definition of open source :disappointed:

Let's leave the GPL outta this one :wink:

Suffice it to say you can totally make any changes to these plugins and continue to use them on any site you like. They're yours. Use them as you wish - and provide them for your own customers!

The unique prefixes used in the plugins for functions, folders, and names are really essential. If we didn't have something there as a prefix, it would create a whole heap of conflict with other plugins that may be using the same name, functions, etc.

We can look into standardizing the prefixes a bit more, and as David mentioned you're free to modify them yourself until then. Thanks again!

• Memiah
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I wasn't saying anything about the class/function prefixes, you certainly need them, just the folder prefixes which look unsightly in a clients plugins folder.

Making changes to plugins and themes (with exception of creating a child) should not be encouraged, as inevitably changes will be lost when an update is released. I know doing the folder should be trivial change but it should be clarified.

• Lorange
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I strongly second this request and this is not the first time that we have written/complained about this topic.

A little bit more consistency and convention with file naming would be appreciated.

About branding: Most of your products are unbranded and don't promote your name (WPMUDEV). I have to say that this is what I'm expecting when paying for a product. But some of your plugins (a very few ones to be honest) do (in their name or in WP dashboard)... and this is something really annoying.

• Lorange
    • The Incredible Code Injector

You recently decided to rename the "Supporter" plugin. So it should be possible to rename the WPMU DEV SEO plugin with something more unbranded and user friendly (I mean: WPMU DEV doesn't mean anything for our end users).

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.