Plugin for sharing content on different sites

Hi there,

I think I have bought the wrong plug-in. I was aiming to for “Multi Domains”, but I am not even sure if this is what I need.
Let me explain the full spec first

We have created a website for a client (http://www.philosophy-of-cosmology.ox.ac.uk/), most of which is HTML, apart from the events section which is a WordPress blog installed in a sub-directory http://www.philosophy-of-cosmology.ox.ac.uk/events/

He now wants a second site (Philosophy of Physics, proposed URL: philosophy-of-physics.ox.ac.uk). The site should have similar structure and content (html pages + WordPress blog) and he wants to be able to post blog article to both sites at the same time.

I have created a WordPress Multisite Network and a second blog for the philosophy of physics (http://www.philosophy-of-cosmology.ox.ac.uk/events/physics/category/uncategorized/)

Is there a plug-in (“Multi Domains”?) that will display all the content from the philosophy of cosmology site apart from the template?
Also, can I point a new domain name (for example philosophy-of-physics.ox.ac.uk) to the new folder (http://www.philosophy-of-cosmology.ox.ac.uk/events/physics/)

If you could please let me know

Many thanks
Panos

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Panos!

Good news: You don't need Multi-Domains. : )

Other news: What you may want is Autoblog. Autoblog will autopost from one site to another via RSS feed. You can customize which options you want to autopost (author name, images, tags, etc.) and how frequently you want to check the feed for new posts.

What New Blog Templates does is create a framework for your subsites - so if a new site is created using a template you create with New Blog Templates, it will have the same theme and plugins installed as the template blog. New Blog Templates doesn't really deal with content itself.

You can point a new domain name to the subsite it two different ways. You can create a CNAME DNS setting, or you can use a plugin like our Domain Mapping.

Hope this helps, Panos! Welcome to WPMU Dev!

• Panos
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your quick response.
    Since Autoblog is based on an RSS feed, if people click on a link on the "copy" blog would they be re-directed to the "original" blog? If you could please let me know

Many thanks
    Panos

• Arizona Lowe
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

It was my experience that 'auto-blog' set-up a new post using the content that was copied.

I actually wanted the opposite, so this plugin did not work as a permanent fix however, it got me through the time while I was working on a permanent fix.

• Panos
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Michelle,

Since I cannot template the main site, I am not sure if I have any use for New Blog Templates.

Also, I am a bit unclear on what will happen if somebody that clicks on post links. Will they stay on the new site or will they be re-directed to the original site?

If people stay on the new site, I am happy to get AutoBlog. Could I then get a refund on New Blog Templates and use this credit to buy AutoBlog?

If you could please let me know

Many thanks
    Panos

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Panos,

We received your email about this and I'll respond to that shortly. No worries, we'll gladly switch over your account so you have access to Autoblog, or Multisite Content Copier which you've mentioned by email.

To answer your question too, clicks on post links would go to the posts on the respective sites, it's only hard-coded links that you include in your posts and pages that might go to the main site.

I hope that helps and will talk with you more about this by email. Just let us know if you have any questions though, we're here to help! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.