Plugin / hack to change "Max upload file size" on a single site in Multisite

Hello everyone...

Was wondering if anyone has seen (or even heard of) a plugin or a hack that will allow you to set the maximum file size for uploads on a site by site basis. Basically, the multisite interface treats the entire network of sites the same. (See Network Dashboard - Settings - Network Settings - Upload Settings)

This means that if you wish to allow one site to upload 5MB photos then you have to allow ALL sites in the network to upload 5MB files. You CAN set the amount of space a user is allowed to use in the individual settings for that site (See Network Dashboard - Sites - click "Edit" for your site - edit "Site Upload Space Quota"), but there appears to be no predefined means of setting the upload size.

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, Webmaster!

Happy Sunday, if it's still Sunday where you are. :slight_smile:

Have you taken a look at Pro Sites? It's a pretty robust plugin, it does a lot of things you might not need to use on your own network, but it does allow setting an upload quota by level. It would be simpler than trying to manage each site's quota one-by-one in Network Settings.

ProSites is meant to help you monetize your network, but you can use free levels if it better suits your needs. You can move the sites you want to have a larger quota into a higher ProSite level to give them more privileges, and keep the entire process away from the front end, so only you, as the super admin, can control who goes into which level. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

Would this work for you?

• Webmaster

Hello Michelle,
    Yes, it is still Sunday here. And given that we both appear to be working today (and both surely love working with WordPress and WPMU DEV), you probably have a real good idea how my day is going. :slight_smile:

As pertains to your suggestion, I do have Pro Sites running on another network and would not object to using it as a hack for my problem, but do not believe it would actually solve my problem.

That is to say that changing quotas for individual sites as I described above (See Network Dashboard - Sites - click "Edit" for your site - edit "Site Upload Space Quota") is a native capability of Multisite. So I can do that with or without Pro Sites.

To be clear, what I am trying to do is to set maximum upload size on a site by site basis. Unfortunately, I do not recall an option to do this in Pro Sites. If there is such an option, please refresh my memory as to where it can be located in the Pro Sites admin area.

Thank you -

• Michelle Shull

Heya, Webmaster!

Here's to the Sunday workers. *clinks coffee mugs with you.*

The upload quota in Pro Sites is by level, rather than by site, and it's handled with one of the Pro Site Add Ons. So if you had a level for each of the quotas you wanted to create, you could easily move sites within your different levels so they maintained the upload quota you want.

Go to Pro Sites > Modules/Gateways, and the Upload Quota module is the last one in the list.

This adds to the default upload space you've set, so keep that in mind. The quota you set is for how much extra space you want to give sites in that particular level.

Does this help at all? If not, we may need to look at custom development here. I've done some searching for other multisite upload quota managers, and the only one I've found is both premium and seems to lack any kind of support or updates.

Thanks for your question!

• Webmaster

Hi again...

Seems we are having some difficulties with the WordPress nomenclature. When I speak of "maximum upload size" I am not wishing to discuss an "upload quota". You see, the "upload quota" could be 10gig, but it would take some time to use it all if the "maximum upload size" were 128kb.

So while I do realize that I can set upload quotas on each child site using Pro Sites, I am seeking that same capability for setting maximum upload size of files going into quota.

Not sure how else to explain it.

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there @Webmaster,

Currently Pro Sites doesn't restrict the size of each item, only the total webspace used. I've also found a thread where custom solution for this was added by on of our SLS developers, you can find his response here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/upload-space-limitation-for-network-setting-pro-sites#post-748625

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Bojan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.