Plugin has wrecked my installation - URGENT

As soon as I installed the WPMUdev control panel, none of my internal admin links works and it's a standard configured WordPress out of the box. Please advise how I fix this ASAP - just getting blank screens now.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @arulnick, Michael here!

One thing I'd want to try first would be ensuring that there's enough memory allocated to WordPress, could you try inserting the following into your site's wp-config.php:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

If that doesn't get things going though, could you try replacing this line in that file:

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

With the following:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors',0);

And try loading your admin panel again? You should see some errors show up in the log file mentioned in that code, could you share that here please?

Also, if you're really needing to get your admin area back in a jiffy, if you go into your site via FTP, and navigate to the following folder:

/wp-content/plugins/

You should see a folder there named "wpmudev-updates", rename that, and you should see your admin panel come back up.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• arulnick

Yeah, each of our customers is operating on over 3GB of memory dedicated to their PHP and an additional 1GB on PageSpeed.

Just a side note, it may have actually been caused by some .htaccess file adjustments I was making and then once I uploaded your plugin our cache cleared to cause an issue - not the fault of WPMU as far as I can tell. HOWEVER - if you do want to know other steps taken to try to reproduce then it was

1) installed your WP mush (standard)
    2) decided to upgrade my account
    3) installed WPMU dashboard
    4) installed WP mush PRO - got installation error, assuming this was caused because the folder/files were already technically there (maybe, maybe not)
    5) after error hard white screen until I manually deleted and re-installed plugins
    6) was also making changes to .htaccess so again, this could have caused or contributed to the symptoms

Next question...

I have a lot of images we're working with that are NOT lossless compressed yet.

Your image compression tool is capped at 32MB - is there any way to increase the max file size of your WP mush to handle images that are significantly larger and need re-sized or do you have a suggestion for one besides photoshopping all of them?

We have tons of system resources to throw at processes, GooglePageSpeed does a decent job but I would really like to see if you have any suggestions for ultra-high res, large images.

Thank you!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @arulnick, glad to hear you were able to sort out the white screen issues in the meantime! :slight_smile:

In regards to your other question:

I have a lot of images we're working with that are NOT lossless compressed yet.

Your image compression tool is capped at 32MB - is there any way to increase the max file size of your WP mush to handle images that are significantly larger and need re-sized or do you have a suggestion for one besides photoshopping all of them?

32 MB is the maximum file size accepted by our servers here (as your images are sent off to our servers for processing, and then sent back to your site, after they've been smushed), so that's the largest file size that could be processed.

You could Photoshop these significantly larger images if you wish, though depending on the resulting image size, I would personally be concerned about the time it would take for these images to be loaded, even after being compressed.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.