Plugin Installation on MultiSite

Good day to all.

I am using a WP MultiSite network and today I tried to install a plugin from the SuperAdmin panel, but received an error - "Unable to locate WordPress Content directory (wp-content)." - but when I visit it via FTP, I can easily find it. Then, if I upload the plugin via FTP I can go back and activate it in the dashboard.

Is this normal activity for a WP MultiSite network or is this something that I've created by doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

JDD

• aecnu

Greetings JDD,

It would be my opinion that FTP'ing the plugins up is always much safer then trying to use the internal uploader.

Many a member have used the internal uploader only to have issues afterward and then when FTP'ed up all the issues magically disappeared. I do not know the reason for this phenomenon but I am aware of it.

It may also be that the plugin in question is not truly MultiSite compatible, but that is just a guess.

Cheers, Joe

• James Dunn

Hey Joe.

I used to FTP EVERYTHING (themes, plugins, etc), and then a friend encouraged me to use the WP installer, so I got into the habit of doing it. I have had issues using it though and I've FTP'd those plugins because of that.

However, I do have ONE plugin that if I FTP, it WILL NOT WORK - and that's because some of the files in the directory have an "odd" name (they begin with "______" - varying from 1 underscore to as many as 7 underscores) and when I unzip them on my hard drive, Windows doesn't handle them properly (don't bash me for using Windows :wink: ). That plugin seems to only work if I upload it using the WP dashboard.

I'm still curious though, is the error that I'm seeing "normal" for a WP MultiSite network or have I possibly done something wrong?

Thanks.

JDD

• aecnu

Greetings JDD,

Sorry that I missed this somehow ....

I'm still curious though, is the error that I'm seeing "normal" for a WP MultiSite network or have I possibly done something wrong?

No this is absolutely not normal and not that you are doing anything wrong either.

I do know this is the first time I have ever heard of this happening and do you get this from more then one particular plugin?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• James Dunn

Apparently, although it is not very common, this does seem to happen to others. I had to put the following code at the end of my wp-config.php file:

if(is_admin())
    { add_filter('filesystem_method', create_function('$a', 'return "direct";' )); define( 'FS_CHMOD_DIR', 0751 ); }

I did that and it works perfectly. Don't really understand "why" I had to add it to the MultiSite wp-config.php but I've never had to add it to my SingleSite applications? Any ideas?

JDD

• aecnu

Greetings JDD,

After reading your comment that it happens to all the plugins that you are trying to add to your WordPress installation I immediately knew it was a permissions problem.

I did that and it works perfectly. Don't really understand "why" I had to add it to the MultiSite wp-config.php but I've never had to add it to my SingleSite applications? Any ideas?

This is because with a single WordPress installation the only folder you are dealing with are the uploads and of course the wp-content. Permission-ed 755 and 755 respectively or 777 and 755 respectively dependent upon your hosts security. With the MultiSite - add in the Blogs.Dir folder and it creates other folders for the sub sites on the fly and it needs permissions to manages these uploads.

The snippet above you added to your wp-config.php file is in fact granting extra permissions just for the admins.

if(is_admin())
    { add_filter('filesystem_method', create_function('$a', 'return "direct";' )); define( 'FS_CHMOD_DIR', 0751 ); }

To allow these uploads and it is a great find. Some rep points sent your way :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.