Plugin options' admin menu - still there after deleting plugin - why?

Sorry for being a noob, but I have a question about plugin development -

Bit of background - I just built my first (very basic) plugin (super custom for a project I'm in progress on), which didn't include an options menu (because it's so basic) - so I'm a little lost to begin with. I did find the codex on how to add your plugin options to the admin menu - http://codex.wordpress.org/Adding_Administration_Menus - but it didn't really answer this question for me -

I've installed some plugins, as directed, by placing them in the mu-plugins folder. Later, I've found that, for whatever reason, I decided later not to use them (didn't work, didn't need it afterall, etc.), and I've deleted them out of the directory with no issues (they did not come with an uninstall option). However - I've had some issues with "completely uninstalling" some plugins on 2 completely separate Wordpress MU installs now, and it's annoyed me enough to ask.

In my latest adventure, I installed a certain plugin (MUTags) in my mu-plugins folder, and to remove it, I deleted it out of my mu-plugins folder. However - The Mu Tags Admin menu STILL shows up under the Site Admin menu - although the link is broken (because the file it's referencing is no longer on the server, of course).

Why is that plugin's options menu link (broken as it is) still showing up? Are these plugins throwing something into the database, thus the broken-link admin options menu is still there?

And, most importantly - How do I "completely" uninstall plugins that do this?

Most appreciative of any insights anyone can offer.

• Andrew

Hiya,

In my latest adventure, I installed a certain plugin (MUTags) in my mu-plugins folder, and to remove it, I deleted it out of my mu-plugins folder. However - The Mu Tags Admin menu STILL shows up under the Site Admin menu - although the link is broken (because the file it's referencing is no longer on the server, of course).

It's not really possible for plugin menu items to show up once all of the files are removed. There has to be a lingering file.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• absolutemg

Thanks Andrew - I'll go looking for it - but I haven't found it yet.

Related - I installed and then deleted Communities and Inbox, but they ALSO are still showing up in the admin panel (and are dead links). I deleted the 2 files in mu-plugins, and the 2 files in wp-admin (that the install file told me to put in both directories) -

So - where are these admin links still coming from?

Are there still some files somewhere or are they in the database? Or are they being cached somehow (now I'm starting to think this is the issue)?

I have supercache installed, but not enabled (and I didn't have this plugin installed on the previous MU installation that also gave me this problem).

(yes, I cleared my browser cache - they're still showing up)

Does anyone know what else caches the admin panel/menu?

• Andrew

So - where are these admin links still coming from?

Honestly I haven't a clue. Once you remove the files everything should be removed from the admin panel.

It's not an issue with the plugins though. That I know for certain.

Are there still some files somewhere or are they in the database?

Nah, nothing is left hanging around in the db that would cause this.

Or are they being cached somehow (now I'm starting to think this is the issue)?

Caching could be the culprit if you have any solutions running. That said, most WP caching solutions don't cache full pages in the admin panel.

Thanks,
    Andrew