Plugin "Pay with a Like" not working properly

Hello,

I installed the plugin "Pay with a Like" on my Wordpress (3.8.12) site, but it doesn't work properly...

I wanted the "Like" button to appear only on one specific page, so I choosed the following settings:

Activation for post types: only show metabox for pages.
Revealed content selection method: select excerpt.
Description above the buttons: I left it blank.
Buttons container width: also blank
Reload Content on Like: page refresh
Enable on the home page: no
Enable for multiple post pages: no
Admin sees full content: no
Authorized users see full content: no
Search bots see full content: no
Cookie validity time (hours): 24

Button to use: only Facebook, but not with Load JS

I made a test with the following page:
http://www.rainbowmode.com/artists/kelee

I integrated the following shortcode:

[pwal]Thank you for your like! You can download a free sampler here: This is a test to hide content[/pwal]

On the frontend site, there's then a horizontal scroll appearing a few seconds, then there's a border around the button container. Is there a way to make it disappear?

When I clicked the Like button, the height of the container was unchanged and fixed. I had to scroll down vertically to see a comment box for the "Like" I did, but no other content.

The like was added (from zero to one, as you can see), but the hidden content is still hiden.

There's no trace of my like on my Facebook profile...

Could you help me to fix these problems?

Thanks forward,

Olivier Smaers

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

Are you adding the shortcode directly into the post editor form within wp-admin (on the page)? Or are you adding the shortcode via a page template?

One problem I see is you are using the shortcode but on the settings metabox you have selected "Revealed content selection method: select excerpt." and should be 'Use Selection Tool'. This tells the plugin to look for the shortcode.

Second your shortcode is wrong. There are some missing parameters needed within the [pwal] How are you creating the shortcode? If you are using the editor you should be able to use the toolbar button to select some content and the shortcode will be added for you.

A proper shortcode needs the id and description parameters. Like the following.

[pwal id="61546904" description="This is a hidden section"]
    This is hidden content. This is hidden content. This is hidden content. This is hidden content. This is hidden content. This is hidden content.
    [/pwal]

The 'id' is a unique identifier for this shortcode. It needs to be long enough to be unique across all your posts/pages. And needs to be the same for all visitors. In other words cannot be generated unique for each page load.

The 'description' argument is shown above the PWAL buttons.

So the problem is since you had not used the unique ID parameter as part of the shortcode when you click the like PWAL can set a cookie to know the hidden content can be revealed.

• RainbowMode

Hi Paul,

I first tried with the metabox, but it didn't work properly neither... (using IE8), so I tried manually, but now I know I done it wrong. Thank you for this first explanation.

I indeed selected "Revealed content selection method: select excerpt." You tell me that it should be 'Use Selection Tool', but I don't see this option. How can I choose it? I only see the choice for 3 options: Automatic, manual, or select.

I just made a new test using Chrome as browser, and the metabox seems to work. It does indeed create a unique id.

I "unliked" the page to make a new test, but the hidden content is now still visible, and the like button has disappeard. I tried with the setting for the cookie set to zero, and also opened the page with another browser (Firefox), but the supposed to be hidden content is here also visible, and no more "Like" button...

I made another test on another page, with another id generated by the metabox, and here I see nothing. The hidden content is hidden, but there's no "like" button...

Your expertise is still welcome.
    Thanks forward.

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

I made another test on another page, with another id generated by the metabox, and here I see nothing. The hidden content is hidden, but there's no "like" button...

It is sort of difficult to advise on the issue since I don't know the URL for the new testing page you created. I checked the original URL you provided and do not see the PWAL box. I'm not sure on the setting you have made. Can you please provide screenshots of the post editor form metabox and shortcode used?

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

Thanks. You are missing one screenshot. On the specific page where you have the PWAL shortcode you should see the PWAL metabox. This is where you would need to set the 'select tool' since you are using the shortcode in your page content.

I didn't check the "Load JS" option because I'm already using the "Add Link to facebook" plugin.

That load JS is specific for Facebook. I was referring to the general PWAL JavaScript file. This is needed to actually handle the like button action. I'm still not seeing it.

• RainbowMode

Okkkk... we're getting closer... I changed the settings on the page, and now I see the "use selection tool"...
    Now... still on the same page:http://www.rainbowmode.com/artists/kelee/

The "Like" button is back... but when I clik it to "Like" the page, the hidden content is till hidden, and I still have the problem with the fixed height of the button container, forcing me to scroll down to partially see a comment box linked with the "Like" I made...

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

Try setting the reload option to AJAX instead of refresh. I just tried on that page and the page is reloading over and over. This generally means you are running a cache plugin or your host is someone like WPEngine who heavily caches the server content. So what is happening is once the like is posted to Facebook the PWAL JavaScript reloads the page thinking it will received the hidden content. But it doesn't so it reloads again and again. The AJAX reload option will pull in the hidden content from the server without a reload.

As for not seeing the post on your Facebook. Where exactly are you looking? The likes will not show in your main feed. They will show in your Activity Log. Here is an image from my own Facebook.

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

and still the style issue with the fixed height of the button container.

I'm not sure I follow what you are telling me on that issue. Are you referring to the wrapper box for the buttons? See my image.

What about the possible conflict issue with other plugins if I use the Ajax method?

There is always that possibility. But I'm not seeing any reported JavaScript errors when I like the content. I see the hidden content after clicking the like button. See second image.

Is there no know issue with the "Add Link to facebook" plugin?

None that I can see happening on your system.

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

As you can see on the following screenshot, when I "like" the page, the content is still hidden, and there's a vertical scroll because of a comment box for the "like" I just made, but I can't see it properly because the "button container" height seems to be "fixed"...

Oh. That is the Facebook comment popup. There is a setting within the PWAL that will attempt to hide that and not stall the user seeing the hidden content. Though as this is part of the Facebook iFrame we don't have really any control over it.

• RainbowMode

Ok... I have no problem with that comment pop-up box from Facebook, but what's problematic is the container and the vertical scroll... Why is the height of the container fixed, making this ugly scroll appear? Is there also a way to make the border of the container invisible? And most important, why is the hidden content still hidden after I cliked the "Like" button? Is there a solution? So far, even if I must I made a few mistakes regarding the configuration, this plugin is still not working properly for me... I can't use it this way...
    Thanks again for you help.

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

but what's problematic is the container and the vertical scroll... Why is the height of the container fixed, making this ugly scroll appear?

The height of the container is not fixed. If you check the CSS you will see the height is set to 'auto'. The problem is the Facebook iframe does not have a predictable height. Maybe it is because the PWAL adds the buttons into list elements. Not sure. You can go to Pay With a Like > Social Buttons > Facebook tab and try setting the checkbox 'Facebook Comment popup' which will try and hide the popup. In most tests the popup was shown fully meaning it expanded the PWAL wrapper. Not sure why on your site.

Is there also a way to make the border of the container invisible?

Sure. You can add your own CSS to override the border Here is the existing CSS from the plugin

.pwal_container {
        border: 1px solid #E3E3E3;
        border-radius: 3px;
        height: auto;
        margin: 10px;
        padding: 20px;
        text-align: center;
    }

And most important, why is the hidden content still hidden after I cliked the "Like" button? Is there a solution?

Not sure. As I previously wrote I was able to see the hidden content. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/plugin-pay-with-a-like-not-working-properly#post-650497 maybe try clearing your browser cache. Or try a different browser.

So far, even if I must I made a few mistakes regarding the configuration, this plugin is still not working properly for me... I can't use it this way...Thanks again for you help.

I can assure you the plugin works. But like most plugins it cannot working in all environments where there is an infinite number of permutations of theme options and plugins.

• RainbowMode

I have not tried it yet regarding the CSS. I'm not comfortable with this kind of manipulation... and there's no point so far to fix a design problem if the plugin doesn't work...

The thing I don't get... How did you succeed to make the content visible while I can't... It's a frontend page... if you made it work, it means that it's not a problem of compatibility with another wordpress plugin. You only have access to the frontend site, and the plugin seems to work for you... I really don't get it. I tried on several browsers, not connected to the backend site, just as a "regular" visitor, and it doesn't work at all... I'm completely stuck!

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

Fair enough. So lets focus on getting you to see the hidden content. And correct I only see the front-end so have no way to manipulate my response.

A couple of question:

1. When you first load the page are you already logged into Facebook?

2. When you Facebook button shows does it show already liked? If it does then that might be the issue. You can unlike the page by hovering over the checkmark and it will allow you to click to unlike. Or you can go to your Activity Log in Facebook delete the previous like.

3. I've reviewed this thread and don't think I ever saw a message from you with exactly what you seeing after you click the like. Can you provide some image or better a short video.

• RainbowMode

Ok...

1. Yes, I'm already connected to Facebook.

2. I don't understand what you mean. I made several tests. The button initially shows one like (I guess yours) and mine after I clik the button. I liked and unliked the page several times for the tests, and also deleted the like in the activity log of my Facebook page. When I delete it on the activity log, the "likes" counter go back each time to 1, so I suppose it works...

3. I sent you a screenshot of what I see after clicking the like button: pwal-screenshot7 (the last one)

• RainbowMode

Paul,

Waiting for your reply, I made some changes in the CSS file. There's no border around the container anymore, and I removed the code causing the unesthetic horizontal scroll.

I also updated the plugin, hoping it would solve the "hidden content" problem, but there's still an issue...

For some unexplained reason, I was finally able to make the hidden content visible when I clicked the "Like" button (I was successful before updating the plugin), but the problem is now inverted...

Even if I unlike the page, the content remains visible... and the "Like" button dissapears and is replaced by the buttons of the "Add This" and "Add link to Facebook", as you can see on the new screenshot...

By my side, the plugin is definitely not working with IE8, and not working properly with IE9, Firefox or Chrome...

Could you please help me to solve this situation?

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

Waiting for your reply, I made some changes in the CSS file. There's no border around the container anymore, and I removed the code causing the unesthetic horizontal scroll.

Thanks for your patience. As you are probably aware Both WP 3.9 and BuddyPress 2.0 were released this week so we have been busy make sure our products work with the final versions. And fielding support threads related to those who upgraded.

Glad to see you work on the CSS and scrollbar issues.

For some unexplained reason, I was finally able to make the hidden content visible when I clicked the "Like" button (I was successful before updating the plugin), but the problem is now inverted...

Great. At least you were able to get this working once. Sad it no longer works. Have you cleared your browser cookies?

Even if I unlike the page, the content remains visible... and the "Like" button dissapears and is replaced by the buttons of the "Add This" and "Add link to Facebook", as you can see on the new screenshot...

How exactly are you unliking the page? Is this from within Facebook? Realize the PWAL plugin sets a cookie when you like a page via your site. This cookie is checked when you return to your site. Again clearing browser cookies is the suggestion.

By my side, the plugin is definitely not working with IE8, and not working properly with IE9, Firefox or Chrome...

We don't have an official browser supported lists for our plugins. We only test for compatibility with the latest versions. For IE this means IE10 and 11. I don't think you will find much support for IE8 these days. Google even dropped support back in 2012. Sorry.

Back to the issue investigation. As it has been a few days and I've been through 100 other support threads. Are you still testing on the same URL for your site? I just checked one of the last URL from this thread, http://www.rainbowmode.com/artists/ffosmatika/ and I'm not seeing the PWAL box.

• RainbowMode

Hi Paul,

I cleared the browser cache and cookies, and used several browsers to double check that it was not a cache issue.

I'm aware that IE8 is not a good reference, reason why I also made the tests with the last version of Firefox and Chrome.

I'm unliking the page sometimes directly from the page or sometimes via facebook, to verify if the "Like" counter is correctly adapted from my profile (and it is).

I made the last tests here: http://www.rainbowmode.com/artists/kelee

Thanks again for your help.

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

I'm sort of confused this morning. When I visit the URL I automatically see the "Thank you for your “Like”! It means a lot to us… You can now download for free 3 tracks from ZenToy. Enjoy!" Along with the three ZenToy images.

This is on a freshly cleared browser and I'm not logged into Facebook. So I don't se show your site think I've previously liked the content.

Furthermore there is a secret debug option we have built into the plugin. If you add PWAL_DEBUG to the end of the URL it will reveal various debug out. http://www.rainbowmode.com/artists/kelee/?PWAL_DEBUG

But when I do this I see no extra output. If you go to my test site http://site2.media-tags.com/pwal-test/?PWAL_DEBUG you will see what I mean about the debug output.

I thought we had all this working prior? Can you please double check your setup?

• RainbowMode

Well... I guess you see the hidden content because you liked the page. I see one like for the page. Is it yours?

I changed only two settings: Reload content on Like - ajax (instead of page refresh), and the cookie validity time set to zero.

I used the same code on the page:

[pwal id="66524202" description="Do you like it?"]
    hidden content
    [/pwal]

I see no extra information neither with the link http://www.rainbowmode.com/artists/kelee/?PWAL_DEBUG

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

Well... I guess you see the hidden content because you liked the page. I see one like for the page. Is it yours?

Not exactly. As I mentioned the plugin sets a cookie to the browser when someone does the like. My browser is clear of cookies. So it does not know I've previously liked the page. Nor am I logged into my Facebook account so PWAL cannot determine I've previously liked the page via the Facebook API. So this tells me something else is going on with the setup or use.

Try setting the cookie days to 1 instead of zero.

I'm not even seeing the JavaScript loaded. Something is not right here.

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

Not sure what to advise. How are you adding the three products to the page? Is this another shortcode within the PWAL shortcode? Can we maybe change this back to something simpler just to get PWAL working again? Or create a new simpler test page?

Can you provide a screenshot or something from the page to shown me the settings? Specifically the content text and the PWAL metabox on that page.

• RainbowMode

Another strange thing... The content is hidden again (screenshot 9). And the CSS is back as the original (border, horizontal scroll, text centered), without any manipulation from my side, except the update to the last version of the PWAL plugin (but it was yesterday). Could it be linked with a cache issue? Is the content also hidden for you now?

I removed the code (screenshot 10) as you wished, but it was "only" 3 embed players from SoundCloud, and replace it with only text (screenshot 11).

• Paul

Yes, I now see the hidden content. Must have been cache. Sorry, I didn't think about caching. And now when I add the ?PWAL_DEBUG I'm seeing the expected debug output.

So go ahead and re-add the inner table. Sorry I thought maybe is be being added by an inner shortcode. I've seen members wrap shortcodes 3,4,5+ levels deep and then it makes it harder to pinpoint the failure point.

Anyway to disable the cache on this one URL so we can exclude that as a potential variable while we investigate if the PWAL is in fact working? The important thing to consider is how caching works. For example if you have previously and liked the page you will see the hidden content. Then if you clear your cache and visit the page again the cache plugin will use the hidden view of the page as the cached version, follow.

• RainbowMode

Ok. I re-added the content with the embed players, modified again the CSS file, and removed the page from the cache system. I'm using the WP Super Cache plugin. I added the string /kelee/ to avoid the page to be cached. It's the first time I'm doing this, I guess I made it right...

I made a test with IE8. It's not working, but we already knew it...
    It seems to work with IE9, but the comment box of Facebook is still displayed. How can I avoid that?

When I unlike the page (not from Facebook) and reload the page, the content is still visible and the buttons of the "Add this" and "Add link to Facebook" plugins are taking the place of the PWAL button (screenshot 12). Any idea why?

If I leave the session and re-open the browser, the content is then hidden again...

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

Ok. I re-added the content with the embed players, modified again the CSS file, and removed the page from the cache system. I'm using the WP Super Cache plugin. I added the string /kelee/ to avoid the page to be cached. It's the first time I'm doing this, I guess I made it right...

I really have no idea. I've lost track of all the different cache plugins and how they operate. Sorry.

I made a test with IE8. It's not working, but we already knew it...
    It seems to work with IE9, but the comment box of Facebook is still displayed. How can I avoid that?

Correct IE8 is not supported. I want to say part of this issue is going to fall on the Facebook JavaScript. The PWAL plugins really just adds the various buttons to the page. It does not handle the button processing.

So for example the PWAL add the following for the Facebook button. It is then Facebook's JavaScript which does the button rendering. The PWAL handles mostly just the tracking of the button and stores the cookie to the user's browser.

<fb:like href='http://www.rainbowmode.com/artists/kelee/' ref='pwal_facebook_66524202' class='pwal_facebook_iframe' id='pwal_facebook_66524202' layout="button">

As for the comment box that again is purely part of Facebook. And not something we have 100% control over. There is a setting within PWAL under the menu Pay With a Like > Social Buttons then the Facebook tab. The settings is labelled 'Facebook Comment popup'. See image. With the setting we 'try' to hide the comment popup via some CSS but this is not always because Facebook keeps changing the inner iframe used which effects the targeting of the CSS.

When I unlike the page (not from Facebook) and reload the page, the content is still visible and the buttons of the "Add this" and "Add link to Facebook" plugins are taking the place of the PWAL button (screenshot 12). Any idea why?

Yes, As I might have mentioned when a user click the button PWAL will set a cookie in the user's browser. This is primary to the Facebook like functionality. So unliking it on Facebook does not really clear the lil because you still have the cookie in your browser. This is why when you come to the same page with a fresh browser (no cookies) or a different browser you will see the PWAL box again.

There is a settings with PWAL where you can do some deeper integration with Facebook. On the Social Buttons > Facebook page you can setup a Facebook API. In the absence of a cookie the PWAL plugin can connect to Facebook and query Facebook to see if the user has previously liked the URL. This is handy for when a user likes your page in a traditional browser then visits again using say a tablet or something.

Also not this Facebook API integration will be used if the user's cookie expired. So if you set the cookie lifetime on PWAL settings to 5 days. If the user revisits the page on day 6 PWAL first checks for the browser cookie. Not finding it the plugin then connects to Facebook to check for a previous like.

• RainbowMode

Hi,

Regarding the Facebook pop-up comment box, I always kept the option unchecked. I suppose, thanks your explanation, that it's not enough... But it's not a big deal.

I'm more concerned about the issue regarding the buttons of the two other plugins ("Add this" and "Add link to Facebook") I was talking about (with the screenshot 12). Is there a way to fix the fact that they are moving from their initial place (bottom of page) to take the place of the PWAL Like button (under the hidden content)?

I'm already using an API for the "Add link to Facebook" plugin. Can I use the same or do I have to create a new app on Facebook for PWAL?

• Paul

Regarding the Facebook pop-up comment box, I always kept the option unchecked. I suppose, thanks your explanation, that it's not enough... But it's not a big deal.

For some it is a bugger issue because the popup does not always seem to expand correctly depending on the theme structure.

I'm more concerned about the issue regarding the buttons of the two other plugins ("Add this" and "Add link to Facebook") I was talking about (with the screenshot 12). Is there a way to fix the fact that they are moving from their initial place (bottom of page) to take the place of the PWAL Like button (under the hidden content)?

How do I go about seeing that? I need to see if where I can look at the actual rendered HTML to see if there is an issue.

I'm already using an API for the "Add link to Facebook" plugin. Can I use the same or do I have to create a new app on Facebook for PWAL?

Yes, you can use the same Facebook API credentials as you use on other API uses. Facebook ties the API use to your URL not the specific item within the HTML.

• RainbowMode

I made another test on the page which for the pwal plugin was dedicated:
    http://www.rainbowmode.com/artists/zentoy/paradise/

I hoped that it would finally work correctly but it does not...

The Facebook pop-up comment box is indeed not expanding correctly for me as well... Just after I "liked" the page, there's a small vertical scroll appearing during maybe 2 seconds (hidding the comment box partially). It's like the height of the container was fixed, making the scroll appear for the comment box.

Then the comment box and scroll dissapear, and the hidden content is made visible...

The problem is that it now brokes the layout of my page (screenshot 13). You can compare it to any other page of the site. Why? For the first test, I placed the pwal content in +/- the middle of the page. Here, it's after all the "regular" content, just before the footer of the page.

Regarding the problem of the "Add this" and "Add link to facebook" buttons taking the place of the pwal Like button, you can see on the screenshot 12, that they are located just after the pwal content, instead of the bottom of the page, like the rest of the site.

I was supposed to use this plugin publicly today, linked to a new release...
    How can I fix these problems for good?
    Thanks again for your help...

• Paul

@RainbowMode

I made another test on the page which for the pwal plugin was dedicated:
    http://www.rainbowmode.com/artists/zentoy/paradise/

I'm looking in that URL you provided and do not see the PWAL buttons. What am I missing?

The Facebook pop-up comment box is indeed not expanding correctly for me as well... Just after I "liked" the page, there's a small vertical scroll appearing during maybe 2 seconds (hidding the comment box partially). It's like the height of the container was fixed, making the scroll appear for the comment box.

Again this comment box is within the Facebook iframe. The PWAL does not have any control over the height element within the iframe. This is per browser security restrictions. As I might have mentioned before you can try setting the checkbox in the PWAL settings which will add some CSS to try and hide the popup. But this is not 100% effective as the iframe structure keeps changing.

The problem is that it now brokes the layout of my page (screenshot 13). You can compare it to any other page of the site. Why?

As soon as I'm able to see the new test page I'll try and tell you. I know the PWAL sets a container within the HTML. This container is simply a <div></div> where inside are the buttons. Once the like action is made the inside of the container is replaced with the hidden content. Could there be something with the embedded items you are displaying?

Regarding the problem of the "Add this" and "Add link to facebook" buttons taking the place of the pwal Like button, you can see on the screenshot 12, that they are located just after the pwal content, instead of the bottom of the page, like the rest of the site.

No doubt this is probably related to the previous issue above. If for some reason there is an extra closing </div> this it will throw the page structure off. Will investigate as soon as I can see the new test page.

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

Oh, ok. I see the buttons. Sorry I was looking for some more traditional on the PWAL box. I went through the like and the new content loaded. See attached for what I'm seeing in Firefox 28.0

I think I see your issue. After the like the hidden content is loaded via AJAX and replaces the PWAL container. Looks like you have some bad HTML in that content.

If you look at the very bottom of the HTML below you will see the <table> tag. This should be a closing </table> tag instead.

<h2>Free Download</h2> <p>Thank you for your “Like”! It means a lot to us… You can now download for free 3 tracks from ZenToy. Enjoy!</p> <div align="center"> <table align="center" border="0" cellspacing="20" cellpadding="40"> <tr> <td> <object height="220" width="220"><param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F141142971%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-hCY5l&auto_play=false&player_type=artwork&color=ff7700"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="220" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F141142971%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-hCY5l&auto_play=false&player_type=artwork&color=ff7700" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="220"></embed></object> </td> <td> <object height="220" width="220"><param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F141143658%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-iHNLW&auto_play=false&player_type=artwork&color=ff7700"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="220" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F141143658%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-iHNLW&auto_play=false&player_type=artwork&color=ff7700" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="220"></embed></object> </td> <td> <object height="220" width="220"><param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F141143181%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-GFr6N&auto_play=false&player_type=artwork&color=ff7700"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="220" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F141143181%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-GFr6N&auto_play=false&player_type=artwork&color=ff7700" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="220"></embed></object> </td> </tr> <table> </div> <hr />

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

Was the missing "/" causing all this mess?

Yes, you needed that closing </table> tag. It really depends on the browser and the exact issue. Some browsers will automatically fix this for you. older versions of IE were good about stuff like this but then they went overboard and tried to fox too much within the HTML. The newer philosophy is to let it break so the admin can fix the issue. Though sometimes the task is to fund the issue.

So where does this leave us?

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

What's the maximum value possible in hours? Is there a way for the content to always stay visible after the like?

Within the Pay With a Like > Settings there is a setting for the number of hours. There is no maximum. You want this to be a year then calculate how many hours are in a year (24 X 365).

Then again if you are using the Facebook API you can have PWAL use Facebook to check if the user previously liked the page. As long as the like is not deleted within Facebook it will be accessible.

As I might have mentioned before PWAL will first check the user's cookies. IF it finds a cookie for the like ID it uses that. Secondarily, if you are using the Facebook API it will query the users previous likes to see if there is a record of it. If there is then it is treated like a browser cookie like and the hidden content is revealed.

• Paul

@RainbowMode,

I think I see your issue. There are two different user scenarios. Let me try and explains in some non-technical terms.

First there is the user who has never been to your site and have not previous liked a page. When the user arrives to a URL on your site they see the default state of the Facebook like button. If the person is not already logged into Facebook then when they click the like button they will see the Facebook authentication popup. After they are authenticated Facebook provides a trigger the PWAL JavaScript can hook into related to the 'liking' action. PWAL then does its process and the hidden content is revealed.

Second scenario is a person who has already liked a URL on your site. There are a few sub-scenarios:

a. If the person still have the PWAL cookie in their browser then PWAL will show the hidden content.

b. If the PWAL cookie is NOT found and the user IS logged into Facebook AND you have the Facebook API setup. Then PWAL will query Facebook to see if the user has previously like the URL.

c. If the PWAL cookie is NOT found and the user IS NOT logged into Facebook. Then Facebook will show then the default like button. When the user clicks the like button they will see the authentication popup. Once the user is authenticated the popup closes. If the user has previously liked the URL then Facebook will update the button view to show the like with the little checkbox. But here is the disconnect. There is not a trigger or notification used to let PWAL know the user previously liked the URL. Facebook just stops.

So to try and handle this 'C' scenario we added some polling logic so that PWAL will poll (loop) every few seconds to check if the user Facebook authentication status has changed. In wp-admin if you go to Pay With a Like > Social Buttons > Facebook you will see a section 'Facebook Authorization Polling' see image. This is only shown if you have the Facebook API setup within PWAL.

When this is set it effects the 'C' logic form above. The user arrives to your site. When they click the like button then log into Facebook the popup closes. If the polling is set to 'Yes' then PWAL will see the user has authenticated and show the hidden content.

• RainbowMode

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the explanation, but it doesn't solve my situation.

In my case, I should follovw your "B" scenario. I already liked other pages of the site, I'm connected on Facebook and used the Facebook API.

I'm still seeing that I liked the page, but the hidden content is (again) hidden. If I unlike the page and like it again, the content is then visible, but later it's hidden agin...

I really appreciate your help, but I'm not happy at all about the negative experience with this plugin. I will unfortunately not renew my subscription.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.