Plugin to stop Comment Pagerank bleeding

Howdy,

I just found a very interesting post by Andrew Hansen where he says that your blog's page rank and spiderability could suffer if commenters leave broken links in their comments ( see:
). This could also happen after a while if commenters pull or move their websites.

A commenter also pointed out that INcoming links from "bad neighborhoods" should not be able to affect your pagerank as you have no control over who is linking to you, but OUTgoing links (e.g. left by commenters to deliberately harm you) could.

So if this is true, then here is my suggestion for a plugin that

a) checks the URL a commenter leaves if it is going to a live page and if not, requests from the commenter to check for misspellings

b) automatically monitors links if they are live (like XENU does) and sends a report about the link status (e.g. once a month or once a week or so, like a Cron job) so you can immediately fix it.

c) keeps a blacklist of pre-populated "bad neighborhoods" where it checks commenters links against and refuses the URL/comment if it pointing to any site on this list.

This is different than other anti-spam plugins and I at least have not come across anything like this. How about you?

• drmike

[Oops, I see where you tried to leave a link. Sorry about that. ~ drmike]

Considering 95% of spam comments are actually trackbacks and not actual comments, I don't see this as that important but that's just me.

a) Most antispam plugins like Typepad Antispam and that other one from He Who Must Not Be Named when given a trackback check to see if it resolves and if it's coming from the correct IP address.

b) Run a sitemap on your site and have it do a single level off site. The experience most folks have with such a feature that scans a local site is that doing so with a large mu install is that it's bad for the load of a server. Say "sitemap plugin" three times and see how fast folks scream.

Sitemap reference that we suggest to folks: http://www.auditmypc.com/free-sitemap-generator.asp

It also check internal links which is a good thing.

c) What I went though with You Know Who shows why a "bad neighborhoods" list isn't that good of an idea. When you black ball someone and label them as a spammer just because you don't like what they have to say while you've been caught yet again spamming your own links shows that such a list can be a huge bias.

Although both mentioned plugins have such lists and check against them. Most of those checks are for occurrences though within a certain time period. At least that's how my list operates. You get off of it after four hours although when flipping though the numbers it gets caught by the ip address which is also on a four hour list.

But that's just me.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.