Plugin with "Network Deactivated"

I installed Multisite 3.5.1 (sub-directories) with 2 sites (Main Site and Site1). I have the following problem:

1. E.g. I install “Membership Premium Plugin” or other plugin ( Network Admin > Plugins ) using my Super Admin, keeping “Network Deactivated”. When I log in Dashboard Site1, using User1 and go to Plugins there is a “Membership Premium Plugin” to activate.

How is this possible? I kept “Network Deactivated”. Is user1 a Admin? This user1 was created when I created the site1 (Network Admin > Sites > Add New sites).

Thanks

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @jtruta

I hope you are well today.

On a multisite network when you add a plugin there’s two ways.

Network activate

Or don’t network activate.

Now if you don’t network activate as you described, the plugin will show in the plugins menu for blog by blog activation, it doesn’t actually stop the plugin from being able to be installed.

If you Network activate the plugin, it’s automatically activated across all new sites and may (depending) on the plugin have additional functionality for a network enabled scenario.

If your users don’t need access to the plugins menu, then can be hidden in network admin, network settings, or you may want to consider using our great Pro Sites plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/ which is an extremely powerful plugin, with the option to enable premium themes and plugins for use only by users with a certain Pro Sites subscriptions, Pay to Blog (charge your users for having a site with you). And much much more…

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• jtruta
    • New Recruit

Hi Jack,

I think that this is a WordPress fail, because:

1. When I install a theme using dashboard admin (super admin) and not choose network activate, this theme don´t appears on dashboard user1 and Super Admin can enable wordPress themes on a per site basis.

How described folowing:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-and-buddypress-themes-2/changing-themes-on-a-per-site-basis/

but,

2. When I install a plugin using dashboard admin (super admin) and NOT choose network activate, this puglin appear on dashboard user1. There isn´t the option to Super Admin enabling or not enabling WordPress Plugin on a per site basis.

All plugins are enabling on network after installation.

Julio

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Julio,

I hope you are well today and sorry for the delay.

1. That would be the correct way that WordPress functions, a theme if installed by a super admin in network admin, if you don’t network activate it can be activated on a site by site basis. If it is network activated, it shows in the dashboard of all sites to enabled on them by the individual site owner.

2. A plugin can be and should be installed via network-admin ideally, this can then work like the above with themes, I wouldn’t recommend giving your users access to upload their own plugins as this is a security issue.

I hope this clears it up for you :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards

Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.