Chat won't work

Plugin worked fine for weeks. Now isn't even showing up on UpFront. Tried to re-load widget and it says "problem rendering widget". Can't get any of it to work. Finally did get this error: Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home1/kktwins/public_html/ask/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-chat/lib/wpmudev_chat_utilities.php on line 449

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello GreenTiger,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked your site's front-end but I can't see any chat windows/popups/widgets there. I suppose though that it's due to that issue :slight_smile:

That being said, I tried to access your site to examine its settings via a support access that you granted but unfortunately I wasn't able to. It seems that the access has already expired or something went wrong during granting process. Usually though this is easily solvable: could you please go to "WPMU DEV -> Support" page of your site's dashboard and then revoke and re-grant an access for me? This should fix it and let me access the site.

Let me know please when you do this.

Best regards,
    Adam

• GreenTiger

Hi Adam,

Sorry, bad timing. I had an online chat scheduled and was trying desperately to get something going and was activating/deactivating yada yada yada.

I'm not as concerned for the pop-up chat box. We do something similar to you guys, we have a scheduled live-chat's... so the biggest problem is http://kathyandkaren.com/ask/live-chat on this page, I normally have a Chat Room embedded. I'll have chat setting that I am available so you can see that no chat box is showing up and when I try to load the widget it says there is a problem rendering the widget.

And access is enabled and activated.

Thanks!!

• Milan

Hello GreenTiger ,

Hope you are doing well today and won't mind me chiming here. :slight_smile:

I took a look at your site and found one JavaScript error in my browser console. It is related to our Hummingbird plugin. Please take a look at this screenshot.

So now please try this first troubleshooting and evaluate your results. If you do not get it working, please proceed with second troubleshooting.

#1) Access your site via ftp credentials and log into /wp-content/uploads folder. Find the folder named wp-hummingbird-cache and delete it.

#2) Conduct plugin conflict test as described in our this support manual,
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Let me know how it goes. :slight_smile:
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• GreenTiger

Hi Milan,

Appreciate the input. I understand the protocol to troubleshoot. I have gone through the procedure of disabling plugins no less than 70 times with this issue and have not been able to consistently duplicate the problem. In fact, hummingbird was activated because of advice for me to cache my plugins... so I'm still just trying to find my way through this chaos and I am the first to say I know NOTHING about coding, php, javascript. I can follow through a logical process to evaluate and diagnose. I can tell you that I have not been able to absolutely say, "It breaks when xxx happens." I thought the Support plugin was the culprit. In fact, yesterday, I totally thought I had it figured out... I had gone through everything and when I disabled the Support plugin and got the Chat Box to work. Boom. Imagine my shock when I enabled Support plugin again and tested it... crap, the stupid Chat Box came up... only to disappear about 10 minutes later.

I actually had two people trying to enter a Chat room, one was able to access with FireFox, the other one was on Chrome and the Chat room wasn't even appearing on her screen. So, I had the Chrome client go to her Firefox thinking that would solve the problem, and never could get the chat room to appear for her... but I was totally able to access with the original Firefox client. Huh? And, yes, I had them clearing their caches, blah blah blah to make sure we were current with what was happening.

I am wanting a Chat room to appear on this link: http://kathyandkaren.com/ask/live-chat/

I just went in and deactivated every plugin. Activated WordPress Chat. Went to http://kathyandkaren.com/ask/live-chat/ ... opened UpFront. Tried to place the Wordpress Chat Room Widget and got the following error: "Ooops, something seems to have gone wrong with rendering the widget. This message will not be shown to your visitors."

I feel deactivated myself.

Anybody's else is appreciated.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello GreenTiger!

Thank you for this additional explanation and granting an access.

I checked your site and before I go any further I just wanted to say that I love what you did there with Spirit theme using our Upfront editor! It's so nicely customized design that I didn't even recognize Spirit at first glance :slight_smile:

As for the issue. I noticed that although Hummingbird is enabled the "minify" and "combine" option was disabled for all the files so I just switched minification off entirely so it wouldn't interfere with tests. You may switch it again whenever you wish and in case it caused any other issues, just start a separate thread please.

That being said, the chat widget that was added to your site was "WordPress Chat Rooms". This is not a "chat window" so it won't display anything if there's no other currently active chat sessions across the site. Furthermore, it was showing an error on the front-end which is most likely due to WP debugging enabled but that's not a "big deal".

I understand that what you need there is a chat window just like our own "Live Support Chat" here, am I right? I changed the widget to "WordPress Chat" widget and it seems to be working nicely now. I can see the chat and participate in it while I'm logged in as a user (I created a user account but you may remove it anytime).

I think it should now be working fine. Is that okay or did I misunderstood your needs? Let me know please!

Best regards,
    Adam

• GreenTiger

Adam,

I swear that when I originally set this up, I used the WordPress Chat Rooms widget... but I also just had a prospective client show me a site they liked that was wondering if I could do something similar... it took me 5 minutes to realize it was a site I had built. So, I am thinking that maybe my brain is just too full right now.

I appreciate your positive comments on the site. I set it up to be able to provide clients I've built sites for with the same quality help that I find here at WPMU. I still have so much to learn, but our business motto is geared for the older generation: "How to stay relevant in a high tech world."

Let's cross our fingers and hope that I'm going to have some smooth sailing on this site. I appreciate your help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.