Plugins and themes that are network activated aren't seen in child sites

I have a WPMU with child sites in folders. Most of the plugins and themes from parent site are network activated. But I cannot see them in the Plugins and Themes menus from the childs dashboards in order to enable them for the child sites.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Daniela,

I hope you're well today!

The children sites must have define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true ); into wp-config.php???

There's only one "wp-config.php" file per WP install regardless whether it is a single- or multisite setup. Therefore there's no such thing as "wp-config.php for children sites" but yes, the

define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);

line has to be there. Otherwise your WP installation would behave as a standard "single" install and no sub-sites (to which you refer as "children sites") would be available.

As for "invisible plugins". I admit I'm a bit confused here. My colleague @Predrag Dubajic shared a screenshot of one of your network's sub-sites that clearly shows that the Google Analytics plugin is accessible through sub-site dashboard. That would indicate that it's working fine and most likely we're just missing your point here.

That said, I've visited your site but wasn't able to check sub-sites as those reqested me to log in separately. I believe you have changed something in WP configuration meanwhile, am I correct?

Would you mind bringing it back (except content of course as it is not relevant to the case) to the state it was at the time you posted your initial question here? This would let me investigate your site again and hopefully find a common point on the issue...

Best regards,
    Adam

• Daniela AFTENI

Thank you dear Adam,

The picture from Predrag is made by Predrag using a picture editor:

- as I do not have a 'store' folder / sub-site

- in the dashboard of the main site I can see the google analytics graphic but not into the sub-sites' dashboards; I have Google Analytics accounts for every website (either parent or children) so there must be a menu entrance in every website in order to connect the plugin with the Google Analytics accounts

- let's assume there's something wrong in the subsites: how can I make them support enabled so that you be able to enter into their dashboard? Not using WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin?

- In the same situation as google analytics plugin is the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin; it is network activated but it can't be seen in the subsites' dashboards; should I install this plugin into each website? I did into the money.making.center/shop sub-site and I granted the support access

Best regards,

Daniela

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Daniela,

I'm not sure what do you mean by this part:

The picture from Predrag is made by Predrag using a picture editor:
    - as I do not have a 'store' folder / sub-site

You mentioned yourself in second response you're not seeing the menu in the Store subsite, so I went to that subsite and I was able to see the menu.
    Editing an image to do this is not something you will ever see from the staff members here, there's no sense in editing the image if the issue for the user is still there it will only prolong answers and make our life more difficult :slight_smile:

I see that you now created another single installation for the Store, note that you actually do have Store subsite already so this can cause you issues now since you have single site and sub-site on same URL.
    Below is the screenshot of all your sub-sites available and you can go to yourdomian.com/wp-admin/network/sites.php to see which sub-sites you have already created.

- let's assume there's something wrong in the subsites: how can I make them support enabled so that you be able to enter into their dashboard? Not using WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin?

On mutlisite installations you only need to grant support access to your network, this allows us to access all the subsites in question, however, I did have issues with this on your site, probably because of some redirects and it didn't allow me to switch between subsites, but I created new account on network as a workaround for this.

And now I'm having issues with accessing any of your subsites, are you perhaps creating single sites with the same URL as mentioned above for the Store site so I think this is the first issue we need to address here as I believe this is the same issue because of why you don't see your settings.

With WordPress network installation there's no need to create new single site installations to be used as subsites, subsites are created from your network admin by going to yourdomian.com/wp-admin/network/sites.php URL
    This will create new subsite on your network which you will be able to access with your super admin account and other accounts you create for that subsite.
    As an example I created new subsite on your network which you can access via yourdomain.com/wpmutest/wp-admin/ and if you go there you should see that google analytics is showing as well.

So what I believe the issue here is that you were actually creating new WP installations under subfolders and that's why you're not seeing network installed themes or plugins.

May I suggest checking this article for additional info on WP network installation:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/ultimate-guide-multisite/

Hope this clears things up a bit :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Daniela AFTENI

Thank you very much dear Predrag,

I appreciate a lot you explanation. The problems appeared because of my missunderstanding of how WPMU works.

Please, do not feel offended because of my statement. It was make for the sake of advancement in solving this issue. It's nothing personal but impersonal.

I assume you created a Store subdomains then you deleted it. I don't have a store subdomain and no such folder.

From this I learned that I have to delete the current folders / sub-sites: shop, content and community.

Then I will create them from

http://money.making.center/wp-admin/network/sites.php

The sub-sites and folders will be created. And the plugins and themes will work just fine.

I appreciate very much for being my sidekicks in advancing in my projects. I am not a programmer and my work is like a Lego builder, connecting bridges and creating interfaces, sometimes not reading docs, trying to understand and squeeze through my daily routine that earns my daily bread, in order to fullfill my dreams.

Best regards and please receive all my respect and sympathy,

Daniela

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Daniela,

No offence taken at all, I just wanted to explain myself and make sure we are on the same page :slight_smile:

Network installation doesn't actually create new subfolders, all your plugins and themes are installed on network and then activated per subsite if you don't network activate them.
    So basically all subsites will use same plugin files but the settings can be changed per subsite, same thing with the theme.
    Note that if you edit actual files of theme or plugin it will affect all subsites using it.

Long story short, all subsites use same files but each one has it's own database table where settings are individually stored.

Let us know if you have any followup questions :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.