Plugins are not updating

This is happening for the second time, plugins are showing not updated in WPMU Dashboard but when I try to upgrade it says it is already up-to-date.

Last time when this happened, a chat support employee asked me to do an update by manually uploading the file to the FTP. It had worked them, but I want a permanent solution for this.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Jason

Yes, I can see the issue on your site. I have enable WPMU DEV API DEBUG on your wp-config.php file, please keep it like that for now.

Would you please contact your host if you have object cache enabled? If you have, would you please clear object cache and try to update again?

Please let me know about this. Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Jason
    • Flash Drive

Dreamhost responded to my request:

In reference to this help document, I was able to flush the object-cache:
    https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdeveloper.wordpress.org%2Fcli%2Fcommands%2Fcache%2Fflush%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C484b20b6d14f436171b108d6892c7653%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636847221381159282&sdata=B533oUGzPlr77uVergB2jlfjJwFAByfBcp7FEPTNJjI%3D&reserved=0

@wheels:~/jasonkaufman.com$ wp cache flush
    Success: The cache was flushed.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Jason,

I gave a quick test, by deleting the plugin, and re-installing it, and I could install the WPMU DEV plugins without any issue. You should see Snapshot is at the latest version at the moment, Smush should still show an update notification.

On giving a closer look, it seems like our Server API seems to pick there isn't any change in the data, and hence an update seems to fail.

I tried to install a random free plugin from wp.org, ie "Theme Check", which is not at a latest version, so it should have shown an update option.

However, that isn't the case for the new plugin installed in your site, the plugin isn't showing any updates available notification.

This still looks more like a object cache issue, could you please ask your host to temporarily disable the Object Cache, so that we could confirm whether the plugin updates works out of the box, or not? And check closer, if needed.

Looking forward to your reply, have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Jason
    • Flash Drive

Okay, I asked them, and they seem to think it's the object caching, perhaps with Hummingbird. In any case, here is the Dreamhost reply:

On Feb 6, 2019, at 9:16 PM, DreamHost Customer Support Team <support@dreamhost.com> wrote:

Hello Jason,

Thanks for writing back!

Object caching is not enabled on your site at this time. I looks like you
    might be using your own caching plugin that might be causing a similar
    issue. If you want to test this theory of caching, I would recommend
    disabling that temporarily to see if that helps. We don't by default
    enable any object caching.

In regard to the other email you received, this was an automated email
    sent out by our system to let you know that your user jaskau11 is
    currently hitting your shared memory limits. If you are making several
    changes to your site or testing different things, this might be causing
    your memory issue. Your site may continue to run into your shared hosting
    plans resource limits, and our automated system will restart your hosting
    processes as necessary.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!
    Toby

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Jason

I am sorry, I am a bit confused. You said you have flushed object cache but your host says there is no object cache applied on your site.

If there is no object cache enabled, it could also happen because of another plugin, though I doubt it is hummingbird. Currently, I can see you have smush pro which requires updating. So, would you please run a plugin conflict test keeping only smush active?

Please deactivate all plugins except smush and check if you can update the plugin. If you can, then you need to install another old plugin, activate an existing plugin re-do the process. That's how you can find the culprit plugin. You may need to do the same with your theme as well.

You can find the flowchart here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-1

Let us know how it goes. Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Jason
    • Flash Drive

Ash, I am just reporting what Dreamhost tells me. I did not perform any object cache flushing. They said they did. And now they say there is no object cache enabled. I really have no idea....

In any case, your colleague Nithin, who was working on a related issue -- that Smartcrawl was returning Too Many Errors -- writes:

Hi Jason,
    I could notice the issue in the website, so I ran a SEO Crawl by disabling all the plugins, and the errors were gone.
    Then tried running the crawl with each plugins enabled, but I wasn't able to replicate the issue any more. Now, when I run the SmartCrawl Sitemap Crawl, it works fine without any issue.
    [image pos="0"]
    I'm not able to replicate issues reported above anymore, would recommend you to check, and see whether it works fine your side, or not. So, that we could give a closer look, if needed.
    Regards,
    Nithin.

Smartcrawl seems to be working properly, but the WPMU Plugin updates are still not working properly. Currently dashboard badges Smush Pro as ready for update, but when I try to install it, it returns a banner at top of page saying it is already at the latest version, but the update badge does not go away. It is still asking me to update, but when I do it tells me it already has. This has been the problem since day one.

Jason

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Jason,

Just for the info, the Hummingbird plugin doesn't have Object Cache, it only have Page Cache which shouldn't cause such issues.

On giving closer look at this issue, this is a conflict with your theme "The7", it looks like your theme is highly customized, or there is custom code to cache the dashboard in theme.

The issue is not specific to WPMU DEV plugins, when I switched to a default WordPress theme like TwentySeventeen, I could notice not even Smush, but there are many other plugins which needs update. The theme you have enabled is hindering the update notifications.

Please compare these 2 screenshots, with "The7" theme enabled, and with "Twenty Seventeen" theme enabled.

This is the screenshot of the plugins page, when "The7" theme is activated, it shows all the plugins are up to date:

Now, when I activate Twenty Seventeen theme, this is what I see:

You have 12 pending plugin updates remaining, and the theme "The7" was causing all these anomalies, and not showing the updates.

Once I switched to TwentySeventeen theme, I could update Smush to latest version without any issue.

It seems like the theme is highly customized, would highly recommend you to bring this into your theme developers attention, so that this could be fixed in the theme side, or updating the theme to the latest theme version should fix the issue too.

This would also explain the other issues you are noticing in the WP dashboard side. I hope this brings more clarity on what's causing this, please let us know if you have any further questions.

Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Jason
    • Flash Drive

Hi Nithin,

That theme was customized a few years ago, and has not been updated since. I wonder if the customization would prevent updates. That sounds stupid, but who knows? I have to figure out what's wrong and fix it. Meanwhile, today I looked at the site and see that someone has made changes that resulted in my losing my sidebars. It's not a disaster, since the posts and archive of articles are still showing, but I need to fix this, too. Did you deactivate a plugin that was allowing them to appear within the theme? Admin Menu Editor? I am not sure what that does, but it sounds like it could be the reason. Also, Smush Pro has been deactivated, and WPMU Dev shows as activated in my plugin list, but it does not appear on my Dashboard. Can you let me know what's going on, if you're trying out changes or something?

Thank you,
    Jason

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Jason,

Meanwhile, today I looked at the site and see that someone has made changes that resulted in my losing my sidebars.

Maybe you could point out which exact pages are those, so that I could have a better idea what's being missed in the sidebars.

Most probably the widgets got disabled, under Appearance > Widgets during the theme switch, you could re-configure that back, or maybe switch to an old backup, if available.

However, keeping the current old theme, and not updating WordPress, and it's plugins can cause security issues too, so it would be better to update the theme manually, or switch to a new theme when required.

Did you deactivate a plugin that was allowing them to appear within the theme?

Didn't test much within plugin side. As stated in the previous reply, I activated default WordPress theme, and found the theme was causing the issue, then reactivated the custom theme back, so that might have caused this, cannot say for sure.

Also, Smush Pro has been deactivated, a

This is something which I noticed was disabled from the very start I accessed your site, ie I never saw Smush plugin enabled in your system.

WPMU Dev shows as activated in my plugin list, but it does not appear on my Dashboard. Can you let me know what's going on, if you're trying out changes or something?

WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin will only list to the admin who has activated the plugin manually. Just deactivating the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, under Plugins > Installed Plugins, and re-activating the plugin back again should fix this.

Please let me know if there is anything specific you want us to give a look at. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Jason
    • Flash Drive

I was able to rebuild the sidebars. And I deactivated and reactivated WPMU DEV plugin and it now shows up.

Smush Pro was the first WPMU plugin I activated -- indeed, it was the reason I looked into WPMU in the first place. It has been activated all along, until recently. Maybe an agent deactivated it because it was not updating properly. I am not going to activate Smush or Snapshot until they update correctly.
    Smart Crawl doesn't generate reports properly either. it just takes 2 seconds, so it isn't really crawling the site.

All these issues may be due to the fact that the theme has not been update for so long because it has customization and I was told not to. But this means that I am not now -- and have not been -- getting anything out of my WPMU DEV plugin subscription. I really need some help getting this working properly or I am not sure it makes sense to remain a subscriber. Can you help defined a way to update the theme, to see if that's really the issue and not something in WPMU software?

Thanks,
    Jason

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Jason,

Can you help defined a way to update the theme, to see if that's really the issue and not something in WPMU software?

If you switch to a default WordPress theme or a different theme other than "The7" theme, all the plugins update works fine. This itself is clear to pin point the issue is not within specific WPMU DEV plugins, and more within the theme side.

Even other non WPMU DEV plugins in your system isn't up to date due to the theme, as the theme was preventing update of the plugins & WordPress.

Since your premium theme is highly customized, there isn't any way to easily state update in one single steps, nor we have any background on what all changes have been made in the premium theme.

If you could setup a staging(clone) site, then we could further test, and run a theme update in your staging site, and see how that goes. If the update goes smoothly, then the same steps could be done in the live site too.

You can check with your hosting provider in setting up a staging website, or you could use a plugin like Shipper:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/shipper-pro/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/shipper-pro/#wpmud-hg-project-documentation

Once the staging site is up, you can send us the staging sites credentials, and the link to download latest version of "The7" theme version using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

- To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Please do follow up in the ticket once you have sent the above credentials. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Jason
    • Flash Drive

Nithin,
    Nothing is working properly. I created the new test site with Dreamhost, but cannot migrate my site to it to create the staging site, because Shipper says it will take three or four days to transfer 3GB, and Duplicator cannot complete a scan of my site. It gets a 500 internal server error, similar to the WPMU plugins not working.
    I had none of these problems until I signed up for WPMU DEV, and since then nothing has been updating properly. Maybe it's because the theme hasn't been updated because it has some custom code, but I am not sure. It worked fine until WPMU, and plugin updates worked.
    Is there any way you can fix this? Can you clone my site to the staging site and test updates? Or can I switch to another theme entirely? I am not sure what features on my site are customized, but I do not have a very complicated set up -- I just want to be able to create new posts, and to maintain my publications page, which has links to PDFs, Full Text, and images for each entry. If a new theme would preserve these features, I would adjust how it looks.
    But I really need some help here. This is taking months to correct, and even though I am paying, I am not getting use out of my site or the WPMY plugins at all.

Thank you,
    Jason
    Jason

• Jason
    • Flash Drive

Nithin,

I have completed those steps and sent you the information. (Dreamhost duplicated the site to create the clone, because I was unable to with Shipper or Duplicator because of server errors).

It would be great if you could figure out why my site isn’t allowing updates, and see if we can update the outdated theme without breaking the site. And if not, if we can switch to a new theme and preserve the Blog (InView) and Publications pages, and still have the ability to add new items with PDFs, texts, and images attached.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Jason

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Jason,

Thanks for sending in the login credentials via chat, the login shared as mentioned in the above ticket reply didn't have any details about Staging site credentials.

Please do note that, trying to fix issue with a 3rd party custom theme is outside our support scope, and we are trying to best to give a look into it, to help get you sorted.

I installed the mentioned theme in my system, and I could replicate the same issue with updating plugins, and with free plugins not listing updates.

I further tested in your staging to see whether I could find where exact the issue is causing, by removing the code one-by-one in functions.php, and was able to find some transient functions, and WP core updates disabled by the theme.

I have removed that code, and have updated the functions.php file, and could notice the staging is listing out the plugins correctly, and I could update the WPMU DEV plugins, and free plugins without any issue.

However, since it's a custom theme, we cannot say for sure whether the changes made would be affecting the themes workflow in any way, would recommend you to test the staging site, and see whether the site is working fine, so that I could apply the same fix in your live website too.

Looking forward to your reply, have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Jason
    • Flash Drive

Nithin,

That's great. Thank you.
    I tried the dashboard for the test site, and it seems be working fine. It even provides the option to link PDFs and Text to new posts in the Pub category (for the Publications page). The one problem is that the link to the Media Library seems to be broken. Or the Media Library is not connected to the test site. I checked the original site jasonkaufman.com, and the Media Library is still there. Other than that, the test site seems to be working fine. But the test site dashboard is saying that nothing has been updated yet -- 14 plugins including 3 WPMU, and WordPress itself has a new version. Will everything still work once I apply the updates?
    Jason

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Jason,

The one problem is that the link to the Media Library seems to be broken. Or the Media Library is not connected to the test site.

This seems to be an issue with the staging site, and shouldn't occur in the live site once the fix is applied, or when plugins are updated.

I have gone ahead, and applied the fix in the live site, and Media, and update notifications seems to be working fine. The plugins can now be updated in the live site too, please check, and update the required plugins in your system as needed.

But the test site dashboard is saying that nothing has been updated yet -- 14 plugins including 3 WPMU, and WordPress itself has a new version. Will everything still work once I apply the updates?

Since the issue was with plugins not being updated, I only tested by updating couple of plugins which worked fine, I haven't updated every plugin. The remaining updates was left for you to test in the staging to see whether you could update without any issue, or not too. Please test in your staging site 1st, and see how it goes before making any updates in live.

Please let us know if you have any further query. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Jason
    • Flash Drive

Nithin,

On the test site, I updated all the plugins, including WPMU, and the site is working fine. My custom editing options (link PDF or Full Text to new posts on Publications page) were not appearing with the new Gutenberg blocks editor installed, so I added the Classic Editor plugin and they are back. I also ran Hummingbird and SmartCrawl scans and they seem to work. I have not tried any automations.

But, I have not updated The7 theme. In dashboard, the Theme Updates tab says I have version 3.9.7 and that I have the most recent version of The7, but that's not true. It is an old version. And also in the dashboard, under Appearances / Theme there is no update badge on The7. So I wonder why it is telling me I have the latest version. This is the most important part of the staging, because I need to see if updating the theme will break the functionality and eliminate the custom editing features mentioned above. What do you recommend?

Jason

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Jason,

In dashboard, the Theme Updates tab says I have version 3.9.7 and that I have the most recent version of The7, but that's not true. It is an old version. And also in the dashboard, under Appearances / Theme there is no update badge on The7. So I wonder why it is telling me I have the latest version. This is the most important part of the staging, because I need to see if updating the theme will break the functionality and eliminate the custom editing features mentioned above. What do you recommend?

There are a couple of factors that could be causing this:
    1) It's a premium theme, and premium theme would have their own update workflow which when compared to other free themes which could be directly updated via the WordPress dashboard.

2) The theme has been customized a lot, including the folder name, so that would explain if there aren't any update notifications regarding a new theme update too.

If you are looking to update the theme, then I'm afraid, you'll have to purchase the latest update of "The7" theme, and manually update the theme as mentioned in this article:
    https://support.dream-theme.com/knowledgebase/how-to-update-the7-theme-2/

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further query. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.